British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Application for Child British Passport from NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/application-child-british-passport-nz-794470/)

hellsbells7070 Apr 19th 2013 1:58 am

Application for Child British Passport from NZ

Not sure if this is the right forum but I would like to know if anyone has experienced the same issues when applying for a childs UK passport from NZ.

Today I lodged an application for a first British passport for my 9 month old daughter at the post shop.

We live in NZ but are both (parents) British citizens, born in the UK. Our daughter was born in NZ and is a fully fledged Kiwi.

I completed the C2 form and included the documentation in accordance with the notes that form part of the C2 form. These documents are:

1. The completed and countersigned C2 form;
2. My daughters original NZ passport;
3. Her original NZ birth certificate;
4. My original birth certificate (long form);
5. 2 photographs of my daughter, one endorsed;
6. A copy of my driving licence as photo evidence; and;
7. Copies of both mine and her fathers current, valid UK passports.

When I logged the application at the post office, they told me that the application was incomplete. Probably because we had not included the Fathers birth certificate. I was told that it would probably come back and I would be charges another $80 for the admin charge.

This completely contradicts the requirements on-line and I am concerned that our application will be refused because of this error.

I decided to log the application anyway as I had complied with the requirements on-line and included everything on the check list when applying as a 'mother born in the UK'.

Has anyone else experience this discrepancy with the post shop and/or had passport applications refused because the wrong info was sent?

Thanks in advance.

JAJ Apr 19th 2013 2:08 am

Re: Application for Child British Passport from NZ

You need to prove that at least one of you is a British citizen otherwise than by descent. In other words, (normally) born or naturalised in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

Copies of your passports might not be enough to show this, hence the possible request for a birth certificate from one parent. However, normally they should just look for birth certificate of one parent.

If you're solely British citizens, you must be permanent residents for your daughter to be a New Zealand citizen.

hellsbells7070 Apr 19th 2013 2:14 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 10667220)
You need to prove that at least one of you is a British citizen otherwise than by descent. In other words, (normally) born or naturalised in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

Copies of your passports might not be enough to show this, hence the possible request for a birth certificate from one parent.

If you're solely British citizens, you must be permanent residents for your daughter to be a New Zealand citizen.

Thanks JAJ, you can see that I did include my (mother) full and original british birth certificate with the application so one would think this was sufficient to prove my british citizenship.

If this is the case then why is the post shop asking for more info? I refer back to my original question and wonder why the requested info on line is different to that at the post shop.

My daughters immigration status is not in question. She is a Kiwi. We have permanent residence and she holds a Kiwi passport (which was also supplied with our UK passport alication).

JAJ Apr 19th 2013 2:39 am

Originally Posted by hellsbells7070 (Post 10667227)
Thanks JAJ, you can see that I did include my (mother) full and original british birth certificate with the application so one would think this was sufficient to prove my british citizenship.

It should be enough to prove British citizenship for the child (original post edited accordingly). However it is never possible to predict with the passport service.