Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Anything i should be doing alongside job hunting?

Anything i should be doing alongside job hunting?

Old May 4th 2009, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough
Cool Anything i should be doing alongside job hunting?

Hey there

Myself and partner are currently in New Zealand, we will be starting to job hunt very shortly. We are here initially on 23 month Working Holiday Visa's but hope to apply under Skilled Migrant Category for PR if we are successful in finding appropriate work. Both of our occupations are on the skilled occupations list, so hopefully one of us will come up trumps, although we are aware that securing relevant employment may take a while. Is there anything we could be doing now to help our future visa application (ie police checks), so that if we get a job offer our visa may come through quicker?

Also, does anyone know if we can claim work experience points for employment that was years ago? My partner was a motor mechanic (qualified) between 1994 and 2000 - if he got a job as a mechanic could he claim work experience points even though it was 9 years ago he last worked in that field? Fortunately i was working in my job until Nov 08 and its on skilled list so im guessing no issues regarding my eligibility for points.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Old May 6th 2009, 2:52 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anything i should be doing alongside job hunting?

Myself and partner are currently in New Zealand, we will be starting to job hunt very shortly. We are here initially on 23 month Working Holiday Visa's but hope to apply under Skilled Migrant Category for PR if we are successful in finding appropriate work. Both of our occupations are on the skilled occupations list, so hopefully one of us will come up trumps, although we are aware that securing relevant employment may take a while. Is there anything we could be doing now to help our future visa application (ie police checks), so that if we get a job offer our visa may come through quicker?
Hi
I wouldn't do anything yet that may run out! The police check only lasts for 6m and the medicals only 3m so best to do them when your application is underway. Otherwise you run the risk of them expiring- more cost when you have to repeat them
Things you can do include getting evidence of previous work experience together though that may not be so easy from NZ. Can someone back home find any documents you may need? Eg payslips, old employment contracts, letters confirming previous jobs, references, qualifications [which may need assessment by NZQA] in fact anything at all relating to work. You will also need to provide proof of your relationship and the length of time you have been together. You have to have lived together for over 12m to apply for PR if you are applying as a couple on the same EOI.
You will also need a full birth certificate.
I think that is about all but there's bound to be something I've forgotten

Also, does anyone know if we can claim work experience points for employment that was years ago? My partner was a motor mechanic (qualified) between 1994 and 2000 - if he got a job as a mechanic could he claim work experience points even though it was 9 years ago he last worked in that field? Fortunately i was working in my job until Nov 08 and its on skilled list so im guessing no issues regarding my eligibility for points.
I would think so since he would be claiming points for the same job.
Motor mechanics are on the LTSSL as well so as long as he had the required qualification then there is a good chance he would be selected from the pool. If he has over 100 points then he may well be selected even without a job offer... Is your job on the LTSSL?
Hope this helps
Sue