Anyone working as a Solicitor out there?

Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all
Default Anyone working as a Solicitor out there?

Hi

Does anyone know anyone who is working as a solicitor in NZ and what the pay, conditions etc like. Basically are they overworked for very little money?

Thanks
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

daveyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone working as a Solicitor out there?

Originally Posted by Scousebird
Hi

Does anyone know anyone who is working as a solicitor in NZ and what the pay, conditions etc like. Basically are they overworked for very little money?

Thanks
Have you managed to find anything out? I'm a solicitor here in the UK and also thinking of moving to NZ. I don't think solicitor is on their skilled list so not sure how difficult it would be to immigrate.

Any help from anyone would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daveyj
Have you managed to find anything out? I'm a solicitor here in the UK and also thinking of moving to NZ. I don't think solicitor is on their skilled list so not sure how difficult it would be to immigrate.

Any help from anyone would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks
A little bit. Its not for me but for a family member. Apparently you havr to sit 6 exams which occur twice a year - home course I believe. No not on the list but I think there are jobs to apply for. Some red tape starting to creep in but generally solicitors appear to do ok out there although my relative spoke to an agency in Auckland who said they are over worked and the pay is only £60k - Im in the wrong job!

I managed to get some info via another route Ill speak to my relative and see if there is any other info to add as I basically left it up to them to pursue. It might be worth speaking to an immigration agent as they take advice from solicitors so might be able to put you in contact - not necessarily use them!

Last edited by Scousebird; Jul 5th 2011 at 9:02 am.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:17 am
Just Joined

A little bit. Its not for me but for a family member. Apparently you havr to sit 6 exams which occur twice a year - home course I believe. No not on the list but I think there are jobs to apply for. Some red tape starting to creep in but generally solicitors appear to do ok out there although my relative spoke to an agency in Auckland who said they are over worked and the pay is only £60k - Im in the wrong job!

I managed to get some info via another route Ill speak to my relative and see if there is any other info to add as I basically left it up to them to pursue. It might be worth speaking to an immigration agent as they take advice from solicitors so might be able to put you in contact - not necessarily use them!
That would be great thanks!

I guess I'll have to do some kind of conversion course aswell as I'm in property so regs will be different over there.

I have spoken to a few people who have lived the life over there and come back (for various reasons - mostly family) and the consensus seems to be that there is demand for the profession over there and the best way to get a job is probably through sponsorship, making contacts or through an agency.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daveyj
That would be great thanks!

I guess I'll have to do some kind of conversion course aswell as I'm in property so regs will be different over there.

I have spoken to a few people who have lived the life over there and come back (for various reasons - mostly family) and the consensus seems to be that there is demand for the profession over there and the best way to get a job is probably through sponsorship, making contacts or through an agency.

Thanks again.
No more info to add other than there is a lot of work out there for you. There are British bases firms that employ you out there so it might be worth looking into so you could have more choices.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:34 am
Just Joined

No more info to add other than there is a lot of work out there for you. There are British bases firms that employ you out there so it might be worth looking into so you could have more choices.

Good luck.
Thanks!