British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Anyone recommend a migration agent here in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/anyone-recommend-migration-agent-here-uk-498304/)

larneylee Dec 6th 2007 2:09 pm

Anyone recommend a migration agent here in the UK?

Hello,

I am looking for any company recommendations for migration agents here in the UK?

I am only going to make my application in 6 months time under the skilled migrant category as a Plumber, so I am in my preparation stages now. Some people I have spoken to over the past few months have said, why bother with an agent? Perhaps, but a possible move to NZ is hugely important for me to get done right with as little fuss as possible; so I was thinking of using an agent who will facilitate the process for me.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Lee

welshtony Dec 6th 2007 3:17 pm

Re: Anyone recommend a migration agent here in the UK?

Originally Posted by larneylee (Post 5639940)
Hello,

I am looking for any company recommendations for migration agents here in the UK?

I am only going to make my application in 6 months time under the skilled migrant category as a Plumber, so I am in my preparation stages now. Some people I have spoken to over the past few months have said, why bother with an agent? Perhaps, but a possible move to NZ is hugely important for me to get done right with as little fuss as possible; so I was thinking of using an agent who will facilitate the process for me.

Lee

Try the NZ Forum

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

Pollyana Dec 6th 2007 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by welshtony (Post 5640128)
Try the NZ Forum

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

I'll move it!

happynz Dec 6th 2007 10:28 pm

Some people I have spoken to over the past few months have said, why bother with an agent? Perhaps, but a possible move to NZ is hugely important for me to get done right with as little fuss as possible; so I was thinking of using an agent who will facilitate the process for me.

I imagine an agent will make easy money as he/she will have you doing all the leg work anyway as far as sourcing the documents. It isn't really that big of drama with the forms. Just be use a checklist, be methodical and you'll be fine.

Lee

Sorry, but in most cases I think paying an emigration agent is a waste of funds, but it's up to you at the end of the day.

Good luck and I hope you make it out here and find New Zealand suitable for your needs.

BEVS Dec 7th 2007 12:00 am

Lee.
We have spoken about this before ages ago. I think I stated exactly what you need to do to come out to New Zealand as a skilled migrant UK plumber.

You don't need an agent. An agent cannot make things happen for you nor make it 'easier'. They also cannot find you work, nor can they get your documents for you or sort out your PGDB assessment for you. He/She would have to follow the NZIS rules just as we all have to.

To come under the skilled migrant category.

1] Get your UK quals assessed by the PGDB. For a successful assessment , you really need to have NVQ3 or above. An NVQ2 will NOT do it. Not for the PGDB. They will want to evaluate 5 years worth of 'on the tools' work.
You have no choice but to get this assessment .

2] NZIS will use the PGDB assessment to decide whether you are a skilled plumber or not. They are guided by the PGDB. Legislation dictates that. It's a H&S matter.

At the moment the NZIS web site is stating a plumber must have NZ registration or provisional registration. Of course neither is possible & I am trying to get some clear guidelines as to what NZIS will accept in lieu of registration. A positive assessment letter should suffice to my mind, but I need NZIS to state this. I am not at all sure that NZIS are clear as to how the plumbing licensing and registration works. As you know, because we have spoken about this before at length, the only two things you can obtain from the PGDB is
a] a letter of assessment of your UK quals
b] if you have a job offer, then you and the employer can apply for a limited licence so you can work here legally. This limited licence is what is issued to anyone , apprentices and labourers alike. It does not mean there is recognition of skill as a plumber.

If you want a job offer, then you will really have to be here in NZ for this.
either arrive on a visitors visa , find a job and apply for a work permit

or

Come on a reccy. Get the job offer . Return to the UK and apply for PR and/or a work visa.
You would have to find an employer willing to wait for you.

Where are you with your UK qualifications and work experience?

larneylee Dec 7th 2007 6:47 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5641667)
Lee.
We have spoken about this before ages ago. I think I stated exactly what you need to do to come out to New Zealand as a skilled migrant UK plumber.

You don't need an agent. An agent cannot make things happen for you nor make it 'easier'. They also cannot find you work, nor can they get your documents for you or sort out your PGDB assessment for you. He/She would have to follow the NZIS rules just as we all have to.

To come under the skilled migrant category.

1] Get your UK quals assessed by the PGDB. For a successful assessment , you really need to have NVQ3 or above. An NVQ2 will NOT do it. Not for the PGDB. They will want to evaluate 5 years worth of 'on the tools' work.
You have no choice but to get this assessment .

2] NZIS will use the PGDB assessment to decide whether you are a skilled plumber or not. They are guided by the PGDB. Legislation dictates that. It's a H&S matter.

At the moment the NZIS web site is stating a plumber must have NZ registration or provisional registration. Of course neither is possible & I am trying to get some clear guidelines as to what NZIS will accept in lieu of registration. A positive assessment letter should suffice to my mind, but I need NZIS to state this. I am not at all sure that NZIS are clear as to how the plumbing licensing and registration works. As you know, because we have spoken about this before at length, the only two things you can obtain from the PGDB is
a] a letter of assessment of your UK quals
b] if you have a job offer, then you and the employer can apply for a limited licence so you can work here legally. This limited licence is what is issued to anyone , apprentices and labourers alike. It does not mean there is recognition of skill as a plumber.

If you want a job offer, then you will really have to be here in NZ for this.
either arrive on a visitors visa , find a job and apply for a work permit

or

Come on a reccy. Get the job offer . Return to the UK and apply for PR and/or a work visa.
You would have to find an employer willing to wait for you.

Where are you with your UK qualifications and work experience?

Hello again Bev,
I will be finishing my NVQ level 2 in 6 months time and I will have 6-7 years experience. I have heard numerous things about what qualifications you need and/or experience, but the NVQ 3 encorporates your gas tickets which I don't want to do, as I am not interested in gas. However, a further 2 years to do NVQ 3, one day per week is a long time. NZ are also looking for general plumbers; is that not considered a basic domestic type plumber? I have also completed my Unvented ticket and a Domestic Solar Installers certificate. Would these help or assist me at all. Would you recommend doing any additional courses as well? I was planning a reccy trip in July when I finish college and have started contacting employment agencies and making a list of employers too. Sorry, got to rush off, late for college this morning! Thank you for your reply and I look forward to hearing from you.
Lee

mitchuk Dec 7th 2007 12:51 pm

we used a reputible agent and got totally ripped off ...

they promised all sorts to get a £1000 deposit and then denied they said they'd do what they said they would ..

the upshot being we lost a £1000 and wasted 2 months ...

the process is very easy to do yourself anyway ,and most is done online with any help you need over the phone from the NZ imigration dept

Hotpots Dec 9th 2007 5:58 pm

I have to agree with Happy et al. DIY ;)