Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about employer sponsorship

Anyone know anything about employer sponsorship

Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:18 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone know anything about employer sponsorship

For those that have been following my post from a few days ago, you will know that we are facing a struggle to get our EOI submitted, for no more simpler a reason that not enough points without a job offer. My OH who is highly skilled in his job with nearly 30yrs experience has a work place apprenticeship in his trade and not the recognised qualification. Doh! So, having done loads of ring around/emailing, it has been suggested to me to see if we can get an NZ employer to sponsor us and thus support our case for immigration. Does anyone have any hands on experience of this and explain to me how it all works. Does it work a bit like a job offer and thus given us the chance to do our EOI? Could just do with a few pointers, cheers, L
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

lyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone know anything about employer sponsorship

Originally Posted by Lizaberry View Post
For those that have been following my post from a few days ago, you will know that we are facing a struggle to get our EOI submitted, for no more simpler a reason that not enough points without a job offer. My OH who is highly skilled in his job with nearly 30yrs experience has a work place apprenticeship in his trade and not the recognised qualification. Doh! So, having done loads of ring around/emailing, it has been suggested to me to see if we can get an NZ employer to sponsor us and thus support our case for immigration. Does anyone have any hands on experience of this and explain to me how it all works. Does it work a bit like a job offer and thus given us the chance to do our EOI? Could just do with a few pointers, cheers, L
Hi

We are in a similar situation as you with regards to employment. My OH has many years experience and the apprenticeship was done many years ago by his employer on a one to one basis (old school style). His skills are on the LTSSL and does not have a formal qualification for his trade.

We were told that a letter from his old employer would suffice as long as it stated the amount of years worked in the trade, job title, number of hours worked per week etc. We were told that this would be acceptable to immigration but we would still need a job offer to gain the amount of points to qualify for submitting an EOI application.

I contacted a Company in NZ who told me that the way it worked was to send off a CV to them and if they were interested in your skills they would then contact you with a view to offering you conditional employment which would allow you to proceed with applying for a visa. You would then keep them informed about the process. This info was from an accredited employer who frequently sources labour outside of NZ.

I have not heard of a company that would sponsor you outside of the above terms except for re-location with a company that you were already employed with. But just because I have not heard of this does not mean it is not possible. Maybe someone else would know something different and be able to give you more information than I can.

Hope someone else comes along that can answer your question better than I have

Good Luck!!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:01 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Nothing wrong with that answer - I don't know why you thought differently. it was really helpful. It's nice to know we're not the only ones in this situation as far as the whole 'informal' apprenticeship/no qualification thing goes. It's been deeply frustrating.

So how far along with the process are you now? So, do you have a job offer - if you do, what conditions are attached?

I think the letter from the employer applies to show evidence of your work experience so that when you're claiming the points for so many years, it can be substantiated. You also can't count w/exp from companies no longer trading I think. The place where my OH did his apprenticeship is no longer trading - it was a boat yard that closed in 1990 'ish due to the downturn in the fishing industry. Fortunately, my OH has been S/E for the past 18 years but as to what they want to substantiate it I don't - maybe something from the tax man? Maybe someone else can answer that for me.

So pleased I found this site - it might just keep me sane, and we haven't even started yet!!! LOL
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

lyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lizaberry View Post
Nothing wrong with that answer - I don't know why you thought differently. it was really helpful. It's nice to know we're not the only ones in this situation as far as the whole 'informal' apprenticeship/no qualification thing goes. It's been deeply frustrating.

So how far along with the process are you now? So, do you have a job offer - if you do, what conditions are attached?

I think the letter from the employer applies to show evidence of your work experience so that when you're claiming the points for so many years, it can be substantiated. You also can't count w/exp from companies no longer trading I think. The place where my OH did his apprenticeship is no longer trading - it was a boat yard that closed in 1990 'ish due to the downturn in the fishing industry. Fortunately, my OH has been S/E for the past 18 years but as to what they want to substantiate it I don't - maybe something from the tax man? Maybe someone else can answer that for me.

So pleased I found this site - it might just keep me sane, and we haven't even started yet!!! LOL
We have not applied for immigration yet but have done everything that we can do up to this point. Now just learning from all experience gained by other people on this site.

We don't have a job offer yet because we need to sell the house before we can commit to anything. I explained this to the employer that we approached and they understood and told us to contact them when we are in a position to apply for employment.

We were told that you can claim experience gained from a company that is no longer trading provided you have the written confirmation on company headed paper and that you had worked for the company for 10 years or more. The company OH was employed with closed due to the death of the owner, but luckily for us he gave the written details to all employees prior to his death to make sure everyone would be able to find alternative employment easily after he had gone.