British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   ANYONE GONE VIA BUSINESS ROUTE? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/anyone-gone-via-business-route-725246/)

ellenarosemary Jul 17th 2011 6:41 pm

ANYONE GONE VIA BUSINESS ROUTE?

We are considering going via the business route if neither of us manages to get a suitable job for the skilled Migrant route.

Would be interested to know your experiences via the business route, did you try other routes, was the paperwork complicated, what type of business are you in etc etc

Would love to hear from anyone who has gone this route.

ps meant to say it would be me that applies for the business visa and not my husband as I ran my own business for over 8 years here in the uk, so know we would be eligible (just in case you ask).

alison

IngStina Jul 18th 2011 12:43 pm

Re: ANYONE GONE VIA BUSINESS ROUTE?

Hi, try a search and you'll find several threads by others that have gone the LTBV/business route. If you like you can message them to ask any questions. Also saw your husband was a baker, would you consider buying a bakery and run it together? Good luck,

Kristina

ellenarosemary Jul 18th 2011 4:23 pm

Yes, thans for that will do. Yes husband was a baker, so thats one of the businesses we are considering, otherwise looking perhaps to some sort of commercial growing concern, where he could get a job and I could run the business and we could apply for permanent residency through him quicker than waiting for he business visa.

Will have a look at the other threads, but any further info greatly appreciated.

BEVS Jul 20th 2011 6:06 am

Hi there and welcome to our NZ corner of BE.

My understanding is that a Long Term Business Visa is not for the faint hearted. I will try and find previous info and experiences for you.

Baker is on the NZIS immediate shortage list, so an NZ employer is free to make your husband a job offer. This would obviously help with points if you use his quals and work exp to go down the skilled migrant route.

Trade Me show job adverts but you would have to educate the employer that it is a job offer first before a visa is issued and not the other way around.

ellenarosemary Jul 20th 2011 7:22 am

Thanks I noticed Baker is now on the shortage list, however he hasnt been in the bakery trade for about 10 years, and only has vast experience and no qualifications. So would again need a job offer. Currently a production manager, but again would also need a job offer for that too - this is why we are considering business route as I ran a business for over 8 years.

Have been applying for jobs, but either getting no reply or the usual 'no job no visa no visa no job'.

I think if going the business route would need to be very areful what type of business etc as have family in NZ and they say the business side of things pretty static at the moment with most businesses just getting by, even Christchurch hasnt really kicked in yet!!!

Any info from anyone whos been or going this route would be great, particulary any good/bad experiences etc.

:thumbup:

BEVS Jul 20th 2011 11:15 pm

A couple of links to previous threads.

This one

Another

anewstart Jul 25th 2011 6:59 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9508107)
A couple of links to previous threads.

This one

Another

I got my LTBV back in Feb. I had no previous business owner experience (17 years corporate marketing). You will need to do a detailed business plan to stand any chance of getting your visa. You will be expected to show profit and loss and cash-flow forecasts for 3 years, benefits your business will bring to NZ, your skills and experience plus the detailed business plan that demonstrates you have researched your market.

You will also need to do a medical examinations and Police checks plus submit personal documentation (marriage certificates etc).

You will also need to demonstrate that you will be transferring enough money to support yourselves for 3 x years! From the day I submitted my LTBV to the day I was notified I had got it was about 6 months.

Good luck

ellenarosemary Jul 25th 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for your reply, can I ask a couple of questions.
What sort of business are you in, and are you still in the business now. Did you do all the paperwork yourself or did you get someone else to advise/do it for you.

We are going to give it till towards the end of the year with job applying etc by then the house should be all done up etc and would put it on the market and look for a suitable business etc - but would rather go via SMV route. This would give us enough money for the requirement for LTBV, so would just be a suitable business and the right paperwork etc.

:thumbsup:

Melloney Jul 30th 2011 11:40 am

Hi
We applied last year on the LTBV........Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had owned a business for 3 years previous in NZ before i applied thinking it would be straight forward (having paid my taxes in NZ for this time and employing 11 Kiwis). I lived in the UK.
We went to wellington to where the form is processed just to get all questions answered before applying.
My best advice to you is not to do it as it took us over a year to get this visa, after going back and fourth with our case officer we then appointed an immigration solicitor that took the case on and couldn't believe the problems we had.
We had a meeting with him on the Monday and had the visa by the Thursday.
If he had done the whole process for us he would have charged £4500. We had done all the hard work before approaching him....endless paperwork...keeping in mind we have an accountant in the family that had done all the figures for us.
The immigration solicitor said that he wouldnt advise anyone to go for this visa....he is kiwi himself now living in the UK and is fully qualified in Australian and NZ immigration.
However my partners job before we left the UK fell in the the immediate shortage list so he advised us to change the visa around when we arrived in NZ.
We now are awaiting the news to hear if we have the new resident visa...
I am so dissapointed with the LTBV process having invested a major amount of money within NZ, u would think they would be wanting more people like us in the country.
We have had a smoother application process with our new visa.

So fingers crossed for us...
I hope this helps if u need any other info. please give me a mail.