British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Anyone familiar with the health aspect of the Skilled Migrant Visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/anyone-familiar-health-aspect-skilled-migrant-visa-858429/)

WhatToDo82 May 18th 2015 6:42 pm

Anyone familiar with the health aspect of the Skilled Migrant Visa?

As per my post on the main board, I am finally ready to put in an EOI for a Skilled Migrant Visa. The Midwifery Council auggested checking likelihood of my health history casuing an issue with the visa, as that's what's held up registration thus far, but is now fine and dandy.

Anyway, immigration say they are not able to say and the only way to find out is by trying it. So I intend to get the EOI submitted this week or next.

I have 145 points, so should get automatically selected (140 points it said was the current threshold) but does anyone have any experience or idea how my medical history may effect my visa success, if at all?

Here is a brief summary:

2010 stroke - no lasting effects - take low dose aspirin daily

2010 congenital hole in the heart diagnosed - likely cause of stroke - repaired in 2011 - all clear in 2012 and again last month - no lasting effects

2014 - one off seizure, likely caused by stroke in 2010 - no lasting effect - no repeat seizure - stable on anti epileptic drugs since then (it is THIS that caused the issue with the midwifery council as I had already started the process and had an interview for the job I've been offered prior to this seizure)

That is it, other than that I am fit and healthy...

I am going to submit my EOI anyway, but would be interested in the experiences and opinions of others at to whether it's likely to be a problem or not...

MrsFychan May 18th 2015 8:39 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with the health aspect of the Skilled Migrant Visa?

it depends on the medical assessor within immigration, you may get asked to provide further evidence. we sent in a letter from my doctors consultant and even though the CO referred her to the medical assessors she was passed with no further information required. so as I said in the other thread maybe get your Consultant to write a letter with his findings.

WhatToDo82 May 18th 2015 10:05 pm

BEVS May 19th 2015 4:10 am

You probably do but please view the medical for the midwifery council who are interested in your ability to perform your work as separate to that of immigration who are purely interested in any possible future costs to the NZ health service.

I'd suggest you are looking at a medical referral to an NZIS medical assessor. This could and probably will mean a longer processing time for any visa depending on how many referrals currently in the system. There are only a few medical assessors.

You may be able to speed things up by collating comprehensive back up paperwork in advance. That could cover something from your GP and a consultant report. History and prognosis.

The key is to show that the condition is under control and unlikely to cost the NZ health service a significant sum of money in the future.

WhatToDo82 May 19th 2015 7:33 am

Thanks, I will dig through all the paperwork I have from my consultant and other doctors :-)

lisamct May 21st 2015 5:46 am

I'd think you'd almost certainly be referred to a medical assessor. I was referred because of an eye operation due to trauma 12 years prior to my application.
Gather up all the evidence you have, especially anything that states any ongoing concerns (or lack of ongoing concerns) a having that should speed up the process.

Bromley86 May 31st 2015 7:28 pm

It might be worth contacting an Immigration Advisor <snip>

In our case, the process has been (a) Case Officer reviews, (b) refers to Medical Assessor, (c) MA requests further info, (d) CO requests further info from us, (e) we spent a fair amount on private consults because we were in a rush (ideally we'd have timed a review via the health insurance if we'd hadn't been in such a rush), (f) we supplied these to CO, (e) CO sends them onto MA, (f) who knows!

Each of those steps takes a week or two and, as with everything visa-related, it's a real case of hurry up and wait. I seem to remember, but can't find the confirmation online at the moment, that the key test that INZ are applying is to see if there's a potential that you'll cost their healthcare system $35k or more over 5 years (AFAIK showing you'll have private insurance doesn't matter, as that's not guaranteed).

Good luck!