British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Anyone Else Feel This Way? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/anyone-else-feel-way-556305/)

rusty100 Aug 20th 2008 8:09 am

Anyone Else Feel This Way?

We've had our medical reports referred, along with a lot of other people it seems, and to be perfectly honest, I'm getting pretty p****d off with the whole business. So far, I've been driving this application along since February, and jumped through all the hoops. To date, I think I've spent close on £2000, but it's the large amount of time in delays and queues that's really getting to me.
It just feels like they are continually putting barriers in our way, without any good reason to do so. In my case, I had a minor operation 26 years ago for a simple, non-recurring, condition - but they still referred it.
Otherwise our application 'ticked all the boxes' in every respect on the list of things they claim they are looking for (145 points). They claim to want skilled migrants with the right attributes - well right now I don't feel wanted - more like totally unvalued, largely ignored and ripped-off. It's clear, they just don't give a toss about their applicants.
I'm not particularly impatient by nature, but I've just about had enough.
Anyone else feel like this?

weejie Aug 20th 2008 8:58 am

Re: Anyone Else Feel This Way?

Yep,feeling pretty down at the moment :( We have spent more than £3000 to get to submitting ITA stage and I know I should be excited at the prospect but feel miserable just now. I think part of it is to do with the weather here; hardly had a summer and it's pi$$ing down again today. Feel like I am not in control of my own destiny at the moment. Hopefully it will pass soon and I'll feel a bit better. Chin up everyone;)

Phyllis

sunray Aug 20th 2008 9:32 am

We are in the same situation. We submitted a report for our Son 2 weeks ago and are still waiting for a reponse. My husband is due to start work on 1st October - not looking likely now.

Sunray

Kags1694 Aug 20th 2008 9:35 am

Hi,

I know how you are all feeling, we are waiting for news on my Medical Wavier.
Hopefully should hear by the end of the month. I feel like giving up at the moment, problems have been going on since April. We have sold our house, I thought that was going to be our major problem not my medical.

Good luck everybody.

R0b Aug 20th 2008 11:30 am

The whole process just seems so slow to me! With the amount of money they are taking you would think NZ House etc. would have sufficient staff to get things processed in a week or two, rather than months.

All the literature indicates that "New Zealand Needs You!" but when it comes to actually dealing with them, its more a case of "New Zealand Needs Your Cash!". Do they turn a tidy profit on it? Kickbacks from listed doctors etc? :thumbdown:

Scouse Dave Aug 20th 2008 11:54 am

Originally Posted by rusty100 (Post 6696465)
We've had our medical reports referred, along with a lot of other people it seems, and to be perfectly honest, I'm getting pretty p****d off with the whole business. So far, I've been driving this application along since February, and jumped through all the hoops. To date, I think I've spent close on £2000, but it's the large amount of time in delays and queues that's really getting to me.
It just feels like they are continually putting barriers in our way, without any good reason to do so. In my case, I had a minor operation 26 years ago for a simple, non-recurring, condition - but they still referred it.
Otherwise our application 'ticked all the boxes' in every respect on the list of things they claim they are looking for (145 points). They claim to want skilled migrants with the right attributes - well right now I don't feel wanted - more like totally unvalued, largely ignored and ripped-off. It's clear, they just don't give a toss about their applicants.
I'm not particularly impatient by nature, but I've just about had enough.
Anyone else feel like this?

Yes - but stick with it. We got caught on the hop when our house in Hertfordshire suddenly sold (and I DO mean sudden - 3 weeks start to finish!!). I hadn't got my PR ducks in a row, so we stalled until the dreaded medical. That got done, got the results and it was all clear. I went to NZ House in London to file my application, they looked it over and said all was fine BUT I needed a full birth certificate (I only had the short version). Given that the Police certificates were clear, I'm married to a New Zealander (have been for 24 years) and we have kids together, all looked Ok, so we decided to come down here while we got the birth certicate. Finally got that, file the application, it got transferred to Manukau who then asked for loads more "relationship evidence" . I went over to Manukau with all the "evidence", and was told all now Ok, "But there's a problem with your medical". It was like I was hit by a bus! My medical was all clear, as certified by my GP in England. But apparently, one of my blood counts ("lymphocytes"???) should have been between 2 and 3, and mine was 3.03!! I spent the following weeks Googling and am now a liver function expert. I was told it takes 4 weeks for a medical referral, and was frantic - I'd moved the whole family down here, bought cars, got a house, got the kids into school and kindy, and was now faced with possibility that I may get refused PR.

Finally, having heard nothing for 5 weeks, I contacted them yesterday and was told my medical has been cleared and I am being given my PR.

Worst 5 weeks of my life! Apparently, INZ got the results back on 7th August, yet having assured me she's tell me as soon as this happened, my case officer didn't do that. I had my first night's sleep in 5 weeks last night - and a ruddy job interview at 9AM. Ho hum...

The moral of the story? Don't worry too much about it - INZ will refer EVERYTHING that doesn't fall within their ranges. In my case, my GP said my count was "in reality normal, but may have raised due to a cold or something". Once the NZ doctors reviewed it, they agreed it seems. So keep calm, common sense WILL prevail, but never expect INZ to move quickly.

Oh, and nag them frequently - they are very sincere but very bad at getting back to you with the updates.

Keep in there - it really will be OK, they just like to see if you're really keen! And when you get here, it really is as good as you think.

rusty100 Aug 20th 2008 11:56 am

Originally Posted by R0b (Post 6697012)
The whole process just seems so slow to me! With the amount of money they are taking you would think NZ House etc. would have sufficient staff to get things processed in a week or two, rather than months.

All the literature indicates that "New Zealand Needs You!" but when it comes to actually dealing with them, its more a case of "New Zealand Needs Your Cash!". Do they turn a tidy profit on it? Kickbacks from listed doctors etc? :thumbdown:

Hmmm! Have to admit, it's crossed my mind more than once that this could be in large part about raising funds.
Just a faint, niggling alarm bell in the back of the mind, saying that they seem just a little too keen to take sizeable sums of money from people, several times over. Same feeling as the "rip-off Britain" (I'm being fleeced again) one so many of us are used to.
Hope I'm wrong, because it doesn't bode well for the future otherwise.