British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Any Paramedics at the EOI stage? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/any-paramedics-eoi-stage-664018/)

Rich2010 Apr 14th 2010 4:17 pm

Any Paramedics at the EOI stage?

Can anyone help?

I got some good advice from bojingles a while back re: qualification appraisal. I am about to send that off but have any of you got through this stage?

What should I expect if this comes back and I then submit the EOI?

Has anyone not got a positive result from the qualification appraisal and if so what reasons were given. I just want to cover all angles.

jim b May 2nd 2010 12:24 pm

Re: Any Paramedics at the EOI stage?

Hi just had my qualifications assessed - quite a hefty fee, but have come back fine - comparable to level 6 paramedic which is enough for immigration purposes.

I have had my expression of interest selected and been given an invitation to apply so am presently sorting that all out.

Have you had a job offer? - who with?

any other questions just ask

Jim

Rich2010 May 21st 2010 7:24 pm

Hi Jim

I just got my appraisal back which was also at a hefty cost. I sent more than they needed but at least it came through.

I now have to get a Police clearance for my wife and I before submitting my EOI. Did you have to get that also?

How long has it taken for your EOI to come through and what was the cost?

As yet I have not applied for a post. I was told to get all the visas through first before applying. What I find strange is that some people have had to apply for a job first to gain more points and others have had to get the visa first?

Which ambulance service are you/have you applied to and have you been given a job offer?

simonsi May 22nd 2010 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rich2010 (Post 8581565)
What I find strange is that some people have had to apply for a job first to gain more points and others have had to get the visa first?

That is because it is points-based, other applicants will have different points awarded under the various sections (age, spouse job/quals, etc etc), which leaves some applicants over the threshold without a job offer, others need those points to make it.

janiejones May 22nd 2010 4:43 pm

Wait until you get your ITA before organising the police checks etc. All paperwork has to be within certain timescales, and if your EOI sits in the pool for a little bit, you run the risk of stuff being out of date by the time you come to submit your ITA, and having to pay twice. We downloaded all the forms and stuff in advance, so we were ready to roll when the ITA came through.

Rich2010 May 23rd 2010 7:52 am

Thanks for the advice! I taKe it you downloaded the forms from immigration New Zealand? I have tried to access their site to do just that but all I get is a phone number to ring as the site is down at the moment.

Looking at your footer your application process went through very quickly! We are currently getting as much documentation ready in case our EOI is successful and we get an ITA.

What has been the total cost for you? Have you used an agent or DIY?

janiejones May 23rd 2010 4:39 pm

You can get the police check forms from here. Yes, we were surprised at how quickly we got processed, but we didn't have any major problems to overcome.
When it comes to getting the medicals, it pays to shop around, as all the surgeries charge different amounts. We did a 1/2 hour drive for ours, but saved more than the petrol it cost us to get there in fees than the most local medical centre (if that sentence makes any sense). If you're in London, you might have a good choice of places that are easy to get to.

ETA: We did the whole process ourselves as it seemed pretty straight forward, and we didn't have any issues that might make the proces difficult.

Rich2010 May 24th 2010 7:44 pm

Janie thank you for your help! I will keep writing on this thread as I get to each stage.

Have you managed to get out to NZ yet?

janiejones May 24th 2010 10:38 pm

Not yet. Looking at going early next year, need to tell everyone, book flights and sort out the house.

There's lots of great information on this forum, I've found it really helpful.

Rich2010 May 25th 2010 11:05 am

Good luck with the move!

I have looked at other threads and it seems there are a lot of people in the know giving advice. It has been a massive help but I do like to find out what peoples experiences have been. Sometimes it's not as straight forward as it sounds!