British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Any Medical Experts? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/any-medical-experts-636113/)

Celticknight Oct 16th 2009 9:16 pm

Any Medical Experts?

Hi All,

My OH was reading up on the Side Effects of the Blood Pressure Tablets, Called OLMETEC. According to the sheet states " Some changes in blood tests results have also been seen and include the following"

Increase fat levels (hypertriglyceridaemia)

Shes been on them just a few months, but with having our medicals last month, would these Tablets contribute to a Higher Cholesterol value? 7.1 in our case.

Blood Pressure at an acceptable level, The Doc has happy to sign off on that test.

Ian.

Ozzidoc Oct 16th 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Any Medical Experts?

Originally Posted by Celticknight (Post 8022467)
Hi All,

My OH was reading up on the Side Effects of the Blood Pressure Tablets, Called OLMETEC. According to the sheet states " Some changes in blood tests results have also been seen and include the following"

Increase fat levels (hypertriglyceridaemia)

Shes been on them just a few months, but with having our medicals last month, would these Tablets contribute to a Higher Cholesterol value? 7.1 in our case.

Blood Pressure at an acceptable level, The Doc has happy to sign off on that test.

Ian.

Best to for her to ask her own doctor. Has she had cholesterol levels taken in the past?

Her cholesterol level is too high IMO - has she been given lifestyle advice? On a statin or similar?

Celticknight Oct 16th 2009 9:54 pm

Hi,

thanks for the reply. On the Benecol drinks and spreads etc

trying to reduce without tablets. Her Dad suffers from High Cholesterol, but looking at him you would tell. Cant keep still for one moment.

It was a general question, she'll get another test in a week or so to see if it has reduced.

Ian.

Ozzidoc Oct 16th 2009 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Celticknight (Post 8022543)
Her Dad suffers from High Cholesterol, but looking at him you would tell. Cant keep still for one moment.

"Suffers from?"

This is not a dig at you, but at a term that's often misused. Personally, I hate this expression. Just how does one suffer from a medical problem that has no symptoms?

Hypercholesterolaemia (high cholesterol) is silent, unless it is deposited in the skin or contributes towards a stroke/heart attack. (By "furring up" arteries)

Good to know that she's having another test. :) Does her thyroid work OK? There's an association between having thyroid problems and having high cholesterol/lipids.