Any help would be appreciated

Old May 3rd 2014, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Joan67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any help would be appreciated

Hi all
If anyone can help answer some queries I have.

My husband has a job offer from canstaff , starting 28 July 14, working in cc.
It is only a one year contract , So what do we do after the year any ideas plz..

I haven't got a job yet but am hoping to get something when I arrive. I have qualification in childcare and management. A BA degree in childhood practice and various NVQ and SVQ's do I need to have the massed before going over?:

How long do you have to live in nz before getting PR.
If anyone can help that would be great
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:20 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any help would be appreciated

so you coming over on a temporary work visa? that won't lead to PR.

what job does your OH do?
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:33 am
Just Joined

He is a joiner/ carpenter
Thanks
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:59 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

ahh so yes probably coming over on the CanterburySkillShortageList which is just a temp visa. so unless you can secure another visa type before that visa expires you would need to leave once that visa has expired
Old May 3rd 2014, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Hi it's a essential skills work visa.
Old May 3rd 2014, 8:49 pm

Exclamation Re: Any help would be appreciated

Wasn't aware you can get one of them for just a year's contract and couldn't find carpenter joiner on the list. I will speak to someone who knows quite a bit about the visa options and hopefully they will pop on to help
Old May 4th 2014, 1:59 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I tried to multiquote but it went wrong.
Old May 4th 2014, 2:01 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Joan67;11244333]

I haven't got a job yet but am hoping to get something when I arrive. I have qualification in childcare and management. A BA degree in childhood practice and various NVQ and SVQ's do I need to have the massed before going over?:

Do you mean assessed ?
Old May 4th 2014, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Joan67
If anyone can help that would be great
I've got PR because of my family visa, I'm married to a kiwi. It was for two years initially, then I applied for indefinite PR which I now have. I can apply for citizenship after 5 years of living in NZ and meeting the relevant criteria.
Old May 4th 2014, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Sorry yes I meant get them assessed. Thanks
Old May 4th 2014, 11:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome to this NZ forum Joan67.

Visas and options always seem confusing to start with. Let's unravel it a little and then you come back with further thoughts and questions.

We're not experts at all but we can speak from experience.

Originally Posted by Joan67
My husband has a job offer from Canstaff , starting 28 July 14, working in ChChurch.
It is only a one year contract , So what do we do after the year any ideas plz.
What you are applying for is a temporary work visa which will last for exactly the length of time of the work contract offered. Yes. It would be called an essential skill visa. That is because for Christchurch only , carpenters are seen at the moment, as essential.
So , before you come to the end of this temporary work visa , you will need to be eligible to apply for another NZ visa of some sort.

This may be another temporary work visa ( C.Church essential skills) . For that your husband would need to be offered another work contract.

Permanently residing in NZ is not dependant on how long you have been in the country. It depends on whether you have the visa which allows you to remain.

If you wish to permanently emigrate to New Zealand then you would probably be needing to look at one of 2 visa options.

Residency under the Skilled Migrant Category
. It is a points based system.
Please see HERE

Work to Residency
. A two year temp situation where certain conditions regarding salary and length of work contract must be met.
Salary $55K pa. Contract - at least 2 years or more. At the end one applies for NZ residency.

I haven't got a job yet but am hoping to get something when I arrive. I have qualification in childcare and management. A BA degree in childhood practice and various NVQ and SVQ's do I need to have them assessed before going over?:
For an application to emigrate/immigrate to New Zealand permanently under the skilled migrant category, the BA could be useful for points.
It may not need to be assessed by NZQA. It will depend on where you gained the degree.
Old May 5th 2014, 6:47 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Also, you apply to come over on an 'open' work visa which allows you to work anywhere. This will be for the duration of your husband's work visa.

Employers like an applicant to have a visa enabling you to work in advance-I know that's not how the visa system actually works in most cases but it's what employers seem to believe is the case. So having a work visa may make you more attractive to employers.

However, if you find a permanent skilled job then you could apply under the SMC in NZ [if you have enough points]. You as the principal candidate and your husband as the partner. Both of you get residency that way.