Any advice on medicals!!

Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any advice on medicals!!

Hi
We have our medicals booked for Thursday. I m a typical nurse "the more you know the worst it seems"
My BMI Is 27.6 and my partner is 29. I like a glass or two of wine when I am off duty, I smoke , my partner does not.
I m really dreading it. That our dream might not happen if we fail
Any advice of those whom have gone through this would be appreciated
Jo
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on medicals!!

Your BMIs are both way within the limits so please stop worrying. Alcohol is not a factor either unless you are unlucky enough to have the dreaded high liver function results, and you have no way of knowing that without a blood test. They don't fail you for smoking either.

Sounds to me like you're going to sail through it. Medicals also get referred for a variety of pre-existing medical conditions, and if you have had any operations. Details in Appendix 10 of the Immigration rules: - Bevs might put a link here, off to move house now
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Your BMIs are both way within the limits so please stop worrying. Alcohol is not a factor either unless you are unlucky enough to have the dreaded high liver function results, and you have no way of knowing that without a blood test. They don't fail you for smoking either.

Sounds to me like you're going to sail through it. Medicals also get referred for a variety of pre-existing medical conditions, and if you have had any operations. Details in Appendix 10 of the Immigration rules: - Bevs might put a link here, off to move house now
Thanks jan n neil
I hate anything like this , I m like this with the dentist,
Typical nurse
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:50 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi
We have our medicals booked for Thursday. I m a typical nurse "the more you know the worst it seems"
My BMI Is 27.6 and my partner is 29. I like a glass or two of wine when I am off duty, I smoke , my partner does not.
Jo

Hi Jo
The thought of the medical freaked me out too....another typical nurse!! have a look here:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...andbookweb.pdf
It'll give you a good idea of what they do, also look through form, its all pretty straight forward stuff. Your BMI's are within the range so no worries there.....check your waist measurement...88cm for females, if its over they do fasting bloods.
I smoke & love a glass or 2 of wine as well... but you can work out how many ciggs are ok before medical and wine = recommended units

Doctor who did medical was lovely....made it all very easy, pm me if can help any more.
B x
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:05 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Jo
My wife is a nurse to and she had similar concerns but we both got through OK
only problem was family history,
Both her parents died young from cancer. She was asked to contact her doctor and get them to write a letter to the medical board on her chances of contracting cancer ????
so unless you have bad family health history you should be fine good luck

Last edited by bdclayton; Nov 28th 2009 at 7:12 am.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Jo
Relax. I whizzed through the medicals too and I was a smoker. Since stopped (as $11.50 a box i decided that $400 odd per month could buy me some decent toys)

Somebody did tell me though that nicotine only lasts in your blood for 12hours. Not sure of it was true. But the morning I woke up to have my medical, i did not smoke or have any coffee. Drank lots of water the day before and on the day. Whether it helped, I am unsure. But I did not have any problems. And my wife and I often share a bottle of wine some evenings! And in those days, both of us were heavy smokers!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
Just to let you all know medical went well. All of us passed with a grade A pending blood results.
Don t know what I was worried about ,Doctor was really nice and made us feel relaxed.
Just the bill was a bit of a shock, Great before Christmas
Thanks for all your advice
Jo
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

well done- I was as nervous as heck before my medical too!

hope it all goes well from now on!
jax