any advice appreciated

Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

judithc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any advice appreciated

Hi all. My fiance and myself currently live in Northern Ireland and are desperate to move. We've heard NZ may be looking for immigrant workers. My fiance is a truck driver, he also has lots of experience in the construction trade and has worked as a chef. I am a support worker (learning disabilites/mental health) and also have loads of bar/waiting experience. We'd be happy to do whatever work we could get.
I'd really appreciate it if those of you with more knowledge and experience could pass on some advice, information or tips on how to find work, obtain visas etc. My fiance has a criminal record (from around 15 years ago), I don't know if that would stop him getting a visa?
Any help/information would be greatly appreciated. It's difficult to know where to start and we can't afford advice from expensive immigration lawyers!
Thankyou all so much,
Judith
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

elasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant future
Default Re: any advice appreciated

Judith,

I appreciate your worries and concerns, it can feel overwhelming when you first try and research subjects like this.

But you've already made a good first step by joining this forum!

I would definitely recommend going to the official NZ immigration website; newly designed and very swish

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/secure/default.htm

It's well set out and you can find all the information you need about potential options there, I found it very useful when I first looked in to this subject.

If you have more specific inquiries after that, post them here. People will only be too happy to help, if they can.

Good luck

Paul
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

judithc is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great Paul, thankyou! I'll have a read.
Cheers,
Judith
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point

We nearly signed up with an agent but it was £4,000! That was alot of money on top of all the fees etc so we decided instead to use the websites, forums etc. We have just been granted our visas (today!) and although it was a difficult process we are glad that we saved our money. Best of Luck
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

elasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant future

I couldn't agree more!

I went through the US visa system and my original visa was denied and we had to submit a waiver application. We could have just hired a lawyer and paid LOTS of money but I used the advice from a great US immigration forum and we got approved anyway.

I would say if your case isn't too complicated, don't waste your money as most of your answers can be found online. Let's face it someone, somewhere has probably been through the same thing before and posted how they got through it online.

Paul
Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:27 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Have a look at the NZIS website that Elasmo has linked to.
I'm afraid you may be limited as to what you can apply for.
Do you have any qualifications that may allow you to apply as a skilled migrant? If not then your other options are a work visa or work to residence visa BUT you need a job offer before you can apply for either of these. There are other conditions attached to these visas as well. You cannot just get a job and then apply [it all depends on job, employer, the skills shortages lists, salary...]
Are you both young enough to apply for working holiday visas?

There have been a few threads on truck drivers in this section and the main section so do a search for these first.