Am I without hope?

Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Sprokk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I without hope?

Hello all.

I've done a bit of research and I'm worried that I've left it too late to achieve my dreams of moving to New Zealand.

I'm a 31 year old Police Officer and formerly a degree educated dog trainer. I've noticed both those jobs are considered skilled but aren't in any shortage lists. Additionally as I'm above 30 I don't believe I'm able to qualify for a working visa.

My plan would be to move and do any job I can find (I do have savings to live off) whilst I apply for a New Zealand Police/ Customs/ Borde Force type role.

From my initial research I think my only chance is applying for a permanent residency visa which I'm unluckily to get without a job offer (which I won't get without a visa?).

So... am I stuffed?

Any advice and suggestions is much welcomed and appreciated.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all
Default Re: Am I without hope?

You could apply for Corrections? You would have to travel there and do the assessment's and interview though.

You could obtain a visa through the essential skills.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:34 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you would need to be at least a resident to be able to apply for a position so that seems to be a dead end there,

prison officer is a way in and they do recruit from overseas, think there is an ongoing recruitment drive at the moment,
Corrections Department NZ - Corrections officer
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Shirrom
You could apply for Corrections? You would have to travel there and do the assessment's and interview though.

You could obtain a visa through the essential skills.
BE karma for a helpful post to the OP

Shirroms suggestion is good one and one that would get you in the NZ door and moving towards residency.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 9th 2017 at 7:20 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you kindly. I'll look up Corrections and cross my fingers.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:23 pm
`

Originally Posted by Sprokk
Thank you kindly. I'll look up Corrections and cross my fingers.
You can ask about work as a Corrections Officer on here. We have several already here and doing the job.
They can also tell you all about the recruitment process.

Just open another topic called something like Applying and working for NZ Corrections.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

PammyM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sprokk
Hello all.

I've done a bit of research and I'm worried that I've left it too late to achieve my dreams of moving to New Zealand.

I'm a 31 year old Police Officer and formerly a degree educated dog trainer. I've noticed both those jobs are considered skilled but aren't in any shortage lists. Additionally as I'm above 30 I don't believe I'm able to qualify for a working visa.

My plan would be to move and do any job I can find (I do have savings to live off) whilst I apply for a New Zealand Police/ Customs/ Borde Force type role.

From my initial research I think my only chance is applying for a permanent residency visa which I'm unluckily to get without a job offer (which I won't get without a visa?).

So... am I stuffed?

Any advice and suggestions is much welcomed and appreciated.
Hi

I am in a similar position as you, I went over to NZ last year with the TV show "Wanted Down Under", as part of the show I met the head recruitment lady for NZ Police, she confirmed that you need to be a resident before you can apply.

I am very interested in the Correction Officer route into NZ too, if you hear anything, please let me know.

Pam
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PammyM
Hi

I am in a similar position as you, I went over to NZ last year with the TV show "Wanted Down Under", as part of the show I met the head recruitment lady for NZ Police, she confirmed that you need to be a resident before you can apply.

I am very interested in the Correction Officer route into NZ too, if you hear anything, please let me know.

Pam
Hi Pam. I emailed the Correction team with a few enquiries. In short you need to be willing to visit New Zealand at your own expense for assessments and interviews. If you are willing to do that make sure you state it on you applications so it's not swiftly rejected.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:48 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

this thread may be of some use to you:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ferees-884553/
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

PammyM is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, that all sounds very negative but I'm still interested I think. Maybe for Caae Manager or probation though. Gutted I missed the UK recruitment drive. When they emailed you back did it sound like they would support your visa application if you got yourself over there for interviews?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:49 pm
`

The Corrections Department is what is called an NZ Immigration Accredited employer. To use other words, successful overseas applicants are automatically 'supported'.

Corrections Dept may recruit from overseas . Once the successful applicant has a job offer and contract in their hand, they simply apply for a 2 yr or perhaps 30month temporary work visa. That gets them here living and working.

Once the person meets the criteria of $55K pa over a period of 2 years, then they can apply for residency.

It may sound difficult but if it is a way to emigrate to NZ then is worth a good shot.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

I'm going to be working with corrections this year when I arrive in NZ. If you can afford the trips to NZ then apply for corrections and after you get PR then you can apply for the police. Its a good stepping stone or can be a good career.