British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Am I stupid?? lol (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/am-i-stupid-lol-593909/)

yorkshire_sparkie Feb 25th 2009 10:20 am

Am I stupid?? lol

I am wondering if I am stupid because I have been trawlling internet sites for hours and still am none the wise :unsure:

If someone could point out in child speak the answers that'd be great :lol:

It is at this point I think maybe using a migration agent will be a better way to go!!

1 - Getting hubbies electrician quals assessed?? Do I just photocopy the certificates, get aload of info on his job and work experience together and post it to someone with a cover letter saying our intentions to migrate????

2 - Is there any point in entering an EOI before he is given a prov licence to work?

3 - I think you need a registration license before you can submit a ITA.... so whats the best wy to go about this

4 - Due to various stupid mistakes, we have alot of debt, no equity and no prospect of a job in the UK (hubby is s/e at moment and we want to wrap up the business and start a fresh in nz) - do you have to show you have $$$$$ in the bank to emigrate or is it different if you go on a skilled migration visa????

Thanks sorry for being stoopid lol

Yummy_Mummy Feb 25th 2009 10:47 am

Re: Am I stupid?? lol

Originally Posted by yorkshire_sparkie (Post 7321198)
I am wondering if I am stupid because I have been trawlling internet sites for hours and still am none the wise :unsure:

It is at this point I think maybe using a migration agent will be a better way to go!!

1 - Getting hubbies electrician quals assessed?? Do I just photocopy the certificates, get aload of info on his job and work experience together and post it to someone with a cover letter saying our intentions to migrate????

2 - Is there any point in entering an EOI before he is given a prov licence to work?

3 - I think you need a registration license before you can submit a ITA.... so whats the best wy to go about this

4 - Due to various stupid mistakes, we have alot of debt, no equity and no prospect of a job in the UK (hubby is s/e at moment and we want to wrap up the business and start a fresh in nz) - do you have to show you have $$$$$ in the bank to emigrate or is it different if you go on a skilled migration visa????

Hey,

Welcome to the Stupid club :rofl:

I have been looking into moving to NZ for over a year now and we are still none the wiser... It can be a very complicated procedure... and the info is conflicting!!! :unsure:

SO- dont think you are being stupid or silly by asking questions!! As i was told last week at the Emigrate 2 expo... the stupid questions are usually the most important. ;)

Also, i personally would not use an agent... unless you have got cash to burn. We are planning to move on a relatively tight budget too, With little equity etc, so i understand your worries on that!!!

Unfortunately i am unsure about the questions you have raised, and dont want to "try" to answer them, incase i get it wrong :p

I am sure someone on here will be able to advise you whats the best thing for u to do.

I would advise you to go to an emigration expo or something similar, cos then you get to speak to NZ immigration people face to face and they will tell you exactly how it is.

Good Luck,
Caz xxx

Soppydot4 Feb 25th 2009 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by yorkshire_sparkie (Post 7321198)

Hi Yorkshire Sparkie

Here is a reply I did to another sparkie looking to emigrate regarding the EWRB.

"We went through the NZQA process before submitting the EOI and my OH's qualification was through apprenticeship with City & Guilds which I'm sure came out as a level 4 (trade). I'm not sure whether the NZQA have caught up now but before Christmas alot of people had been waiting a long time to receive their assessment from the NZQA. Incidentally, I wouldn't waste time and money on a pre-assessment because a few people on here have ended up with different outcomes when they received their full assessment, just go straight for a full assessment.

In answer to your original question I'm not sure whether or not you have to go through the NZQA assessment before submitting the EOI but it will be needed for the ITA. Have since found out you don't need to do this before submitting EOI.

There is no way you can get full registration and practising license from the UK. There are at least 2 exams one practical and the other a regulations exam which have to be sat (these are taken in June and November of each year) and which can only be taken in NZ. The best you can get from the UK is a provisional licence which is good enough to get PR. Unfortunately our timing was out a little so when we returned our ITA we only had the letter from EWRB rather than the actual provisional licence. Therefore, NZIS gave us WTR under the Skilled Migrant Category which is different than the ordinary work to residence route. There was only a couple of weeks in it and my OH did have his provisional licence before leaving the UK but by then the NZIS had already issued work permits. Bit of a bummer but now 6 months down the line, he's sat and passed both exams and we had our passports returned with those lovely blue permanent residence stickers.

The process we followed regarding EWRB was as follows:-

1. Submitted OH's qualifications with application form (EWRB accepted them).
2. Submitted comprehensive work experience from employer - electrician requires 4 years work experience (EWRB accepted it).
3. OH took safety course with Nick Chandler in London (this can be done in NZ for around $80 (£300 in London)) You will need to do this in London if you want provisional licence before leaving the UK.
4. Received job offer.
5. Sent provisional licence application form and fee ($34 check with EWRB).
PROVISIONAL LICENCE OBTAINED
6. Took a week long course re: electricians regulations and then sat the exam.
7. Took a 3 day practical assessment course.
8. Paid $103 for registration and $62 for pro rata practising licence.
REGISTRATION AND PRACTISING LICENCE OBTAINED.

By the way, the places I spoke to regarding the courses and exams had sometimes wildly differing prices for the courses and exams and one actually wanted to charge us international student prices which were extortionate!!!!

If you have any other queries, you can either add it to this message or PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Apologies for the long messge but it is a rather complicated process to go through. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I wish there had been someone I could have asked."

In answer to your questions:-

1. You firstly need to go onto EWRB's website (if you haven't already) which is www.ewrb.govt.nz, there you'll find a section regarding overseas qualifications and how to start the ball rolling with them. Effectively you need to send original certificates for qualifications, application form for them to be assessed, VERY COMPREHENSIVE resume of work done which means right down to the actual cables used, etc., my OH's resume was 5 A4 sheets long, and this has to be produced on your OH's employer's headed paper.

2. You don't need your provisional licence to submit the EOI, its needed for the ITA. So submit away:blink:

3. You are correct, you will need a provisional licence to produce with the ITA to get PR but if you have a letter from the EWRB stating they will grant a provisional licence once a safety course has been taken (and you also need an employer to get a provisional licence) you may be granted a WTR visa which gives you 3 months to get to NZ and 9 months to find work and once you've worked for 3 months you can apply and should be granted PR.

4. Only if you don't get PR through the skilled migrant category will you have to show you have ££. If NZIS give you WTR under the SMC then you will have to provide evidence that you can support yourselves for the 1st 3 months (can't quite remember how much this is but its per person per month, its less if you have guaranteed accommodation) and you will also have to prove you have enough ££ to return to the UK should you not obtain PR.

No you're not stoopid its a very challenging process but one which you can do particularly with help from other people (me included);) and one which you shouldn't pay someone else to do because you'll have to do all the legwork and produce the same info to them as you would to NZIS.

Good luck - any questions?? Ask away ...

yorkshire_sparkie Feb 25th 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks so much, that was a great help.

We have filled in the NZQA IQA application form and are going to get the relevant work experience and references sorted and all posted off in the next 2wks. So, once that is back from the NZQA (say 8wks) we will submit an EOI and also send off the NZQA certificate/work history and other relevant documents to the EWRB with the provisional license form. We have also emailed this Nick Chandler guy to find out about the H&S course. Soooo once we have the EWRB letter back and the course is completed, we can then send those off with the ITA (if we get one) ... to gain PR visa.....or just send the EWRB letter with the ITA and gain a WTR visa.... Also once we have the ewrb letter OH can start to look for employment??? Am I right so far lol

Do you have a time limit on returning your ITA??? Say we sent an EOI now and in 6wks we were offered a ITA but we hadn't received my NZQA document or submitted/received a provisional license letter.... How long would we have to get all relevant docs together (application form, ewrb letter, medical, police checks etc etc)....

Last question...... on the ewrb form it asks in section 6 for supervisor of electrical work declaration.... how can you fill that in if you don't have an NZ employer yet?????

Thanks if you got this far lol x

Persephone Feb 25th 2009 10:28 pm

Hi
Can't answer any of the questions on the EWRB but you have 4 months to send your ITA back in once you have received it. I got my police certificate done before receiving the ITA as that lasts 6m and I'd heard it would take 40days to get it [it was back in 1 week!]. I waited to do the medicals until I got the ITA as they only last 3m.
Hope this helps, sorry can't answer your other questions
Sue:D

Soppydot4 Feb 25th 2009 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by yorkshire_sparkie (Post 7323272)
Thanks so much, that was a great help.

We have filled in the NZQA IQA application form and are going to get the relevant work experience and references sorted and all posted off in the next 2wks. So, once that is back from the NZQA (say 8wks) we will submit an EOI and also send off the NZQA certificate/work history and other relevant documents to the EWRB with the provisional license form. We have also emailed this Nick Chandler guy to find out about the H&S course. Soooo once we have the EWRB letter back and the course is completed, we can then send those off with the ITA (if we get one) ... to gain PR visa.....or just send the EWRB letter with the ITA and gain a WTR visa.... Also once we have the ewrb letter OH can start to look for employment??? Am I right so far lol You'll only get PR if you have a job offer because you can't get a provisional licence without one. The provisional licence (which means having done the H&S course and also gaining employment) will get you PR, the letter from EWRB confirming you'll get a provisional licence once you've done the H&S course and gained employment will get you WTR under the SMC. There are four parts to the provisional licence, (1) qualifications verified by EWRB, (2) comprehensive resume accepted by EWRB, (3) H&S course (4) Employer. Once you have all 4 then the provisional licence is issued.

Do you have a time limit on returning your ITA??? Say we sent an EOI now and in 6wks we were offered a ITA but we hadn't received my NZQA document or submitted/received a provisional license letter.... How long would we have to get all relevant docs together (application form, ewrb letter, medical, police checks etc etc).... Yes I think someone else has answered this, you have 4 months to return everything.

Last question...... on the ewrb form it asks in section 6 for supervisor of electrical work declaration.... how can you fill that in if you don't have an NZ employer yet????? Section 6 can only be filled in by the employer once you've got an offer of employment and then sent to the EWRB.

Just noticed on the EWRB website they state to only send certified copies of qualifications and not originals.

Thanks if you got this far lol x

Hope this helps. By the way you don't need to send the certificate from NZQA off to EWRB as they don't take it into consideration, soooo you could start that ball rolling now.