British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Am I eligible to apply for an EOI to immigrate to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/am-i-eligible-apply-eoi-immigrate-nz-759026/)

MISSITUK May 21st 2012 5:14 pm

Am I eligible to apply for an EOI to immigrate to NZ

Hello;

I have expressed interest in immigrating to OZ, but I do not meet enough points, so I want to see if it is possible for me to immigrate to NZ. Here are my facts:

Female
Married
Have Bsc (hons) Computer Science from a London, UK univsity
7 years IT experience
my occupation is in the Long Term Skill Shortage List 313112 OR 313199'
I have no close relatives in NZ

ICT Support is under NZ identified future growth areas and areas of absolute skills shortage?

Age25 points: 30-39 years

Skilled employmentNO POINTS

Bonus points10 points: work in an identified future growth area
10 points: work in an area of absolute skills shortage

Work experience in skilled employment20 points: 6 years

And if the work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage:
15 points: 6 or more years

And if the work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage:
15 points: 6 or more years

Qualifications50 points: recognised level 7 or 8 qualification (e.g. bachelor degree, bachelor degree with honours)

total points 145

Does a UK Citz with a UK PP still have to take the IELTS to prove ones competence of the English language?

MrsFychan May 21st 2012 7:51 pm

Re: Am I eligible to apply for an EOI to immigrate to NZ

I would say you were eligible and no if you are born and bred in the UK you don't have to prove your english language skills.

what I would say is that you will need a lot of moral support and spare money if you do decide to come over.

We came over as a family on the back of my husband being offered a IT job in Wellington but he was in NZ at the time and found looking for jobs in the IT field from the UK very frustrating.
I would suggest you also look on SEEK to see what area of the country has the most jobs available in your required field. and go from there.

MISSITUK May 21st 2012 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10074376)
I would say you were eligible and no if you are born and bred in the UK you don't have to prove your english language skills.

what I would say is that you will need a lot of moral support and spare money if you do decide to come over.

We came over as a family on the back of my husband being offered a IT job in Wellington but he was in NZ at the time and found looking for jobs in the IT field from the UK very frustrating.I would suggest you also look on SEEK to see what area of the country has the most jobs available in your required field. and go from there.

I hear you on that.
Did your hubby get sponsored with his IT job in NZ?

Where do you suggest that I start? lodge the EOI application online?

MrsFychan May 21st 2012 8:21 pm

no he didn't get sponsored and he is working 15hr days atm :frown:

No one could tell you what to do. I personally would say do what my husband did come over and visit a friend and you may have some luck like mu husband and be in the right place at the right time and get a job offer. then you can get a works visa (if the company is one of the accredited company or is willing to get accreditied) and apply for the EOI at the same time.

What area of IT are you looking at?

MISSITUK May 21st 2012 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10074408)
no he didn't get sponsored and he is working 15hr days atm :frown:

No one could tell you what to do. I personally would say do what my husband did come over and visit a friend and you may have some luck like mu husband and be in the right place at the right time and get a job offer. then you can get a works visa (if the company is one of the accredited company or is willing to get accreditied) and apply for the EOI at the same time.

What area of IT are you looking at?

I am only a Desktop Support Person, been doing it for 6 years (going on 7), experience in UK and currently here in the U.S.

My code on the NZ Long Term shortgage List is 313112

Yes maybe your hubby was there at the right place and at the right time :)

Being a desktop support person is not enough for one to get sponsored abroad - and I'm saying this because I think negative:unsure:

BEVS May 22nd 2012 10:25 am

I'm not sure why you are using the term 'sponsored'.

If you have 145 points, that is an automatic pull from the pool.

If you can get a job, in these times, is another matter

MISSITUK May 22nd 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10075371)
I'm not sure why you are using the term 'sponsored'.

If you have 145 points, that is an automatic pull from the pool.

If you can get a job, in these times, is another matter

Hi Bevs;

I was looking at the 475 subclass visa route - WA State sponsorship. WA is the only region that still has visas available for my occupation to sponsor 313112 - ICT Customer Support Officer.

I am filling out my TRA application right now.

Would anyone happen to know the turn around time on hearing back from TRA with the skills assessment? and must I received a positive skills assessment before lodging the 475 visa application?

BEVS May 23rd 2012 1:53 am

Um. This is the New Zealand Immy section. You'd need to ask that in the Australian Immy section. :unsure:

Originally Posted by MISSITUK (Post 10075619)
Hi Bevs;

I was looking at the 475 subclass visa route - WA State sponsorship. WA is the only region that still has visas available for my occupation to sponsor 313112 - ICT Customer Support Officer.

I am filling out my TRA application right now.

Would anyone happen to know the turn around time on hearing back from TRA with the skills assessment? and must I received a positive skills assessment before lodging the 475 visa application?

MISSITUK May 23rd 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10076770)
Um. This is the New Zealand Immy section. You'd need to ask that in the Australian Immy section. :unsure:

ahhh:blink:
I am switiching back and forth between NZ and OZ forum.
Based on my education and experiences and based on points and eligibility, I am trying to see which country it is best or easier for me to migrate to:unsure:

mike_fornz May 23rd 2012 4:44 pm

Thought you worked in ICT? ;)

MISSITUK May 23rd 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by mike_fornz (Post 10078012)
Thought you worked in ICT? ;)

Hi Mike.

Yes I do work in ICT. The occupation codes used are the same for OZ and NZ I think 313112.

I have my a bachlors in Computer Science and 6 years IT experience. I only meet 55 points under the OZ points system, but I meet 100 points under the NZ points system.

mike_fornz May 23rd 2012 5:28 pm

I was just teasing before - I have a warped sense of humour!

How come you only have 55 points under the Aussie system? I have more points than that with a non-IT degree and only a couple more years work experience?

MISSITUK May 23rd 2012 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by mike_fornz (Post 10078085)
I was just teasing before - I have a warped sense of humour!

How come you only have 55 points under the Aussie system? I have more points than that with a non-IT degree and only a couple more years work experience?

that's probably why.
I've only been in IT 6 years, if 8 then I get the 20 points (i think)

Age 31– 30 pts

Qualifications- BSc (hons) Computer Science – 15pts

Work experience- 6 years – 10pts.

I am british and have my British pp.
I will go for my IELTS in Sept when the test is open for my location, and hope to get a band 7, so i can get that extra 10 points that I need.

then once i know I have 65 points, i will lodge the EOI application.
I am submitting my TRA application right now , because they are the ones assessing I.T support occupations, but for all other IT occupations I *THINK* ACS access them .

Are you looking at immigrating to OZ or NZ?

mike_fornz May 23rd 2012 5:50 pm

I am looking at both if I am being honest and would probably prefer Australia but it looks like NZ is going to be the only realistic option unless I go to OZ on a 457 but then that's only temporary.

I have spent quite a bit of time in both countries, more so in NZ on working hol visa years ago, and as a tourist I prefer NZ but as somewhere to live, wages, etc I'd prefer OZ, as many do.

My jobs have been so mixed but I lean towards web development and server support but they are not on anything in OZ but in NZ they are on the long term list.

It's not easy either way but I wish you good luck and will be following your progress.

MISSITUK May 23rd 2012 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by mike_fornz (Post 10078100)
I am looking at both if I am being honest and would probably prefer Australia but it looks like NZ is going to be the only realistic option unless I go to OZ on a 457 but then that's only temporary.

I have spent quite a bit of time in both countries, more so in NZ on working hol visa years ago, and as a tourist I prefer NZ but as somewhere to live, wages, etc I'd prefer OZ, as many do.

My jobs have been so mixed but I lean towards web development and server support but they are not on anything in OZ but in NZ they are on the long term list.

It's not easy either way but I wish you good luck and will be following your progress.

Likewise Mike, all the best.
If you already meet the points for OZ, you should just go and first get your skills assessed, wait for that then apply for the EOI when that comes out in July 1st, then take it from there.:thumbup: