Am I doing the right thing.............

Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Yorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant future
Default Am I doing the right thing.............

Seems that everyone applying to go to NZ are busy getting paperwork ready and filling in this and that... Just wondering if I'm missing out on something.

As some of you may know I am going over to NZ in July with the intention of securing a Job offer and hopefully staying. My process so far has been this....

1) Completed the online points indicator and have sufficient points.
(trade Carpenter and Joiner)

2) Will undertake a medical when I get to NZ to ensure that it fits within the time scale of securing a job and applying for a visa

3) Will take all qualification certificates,CV and police check documents with me in July

4) Having attended the London NZ Expo immigration told me that I can seek out a job offer and apply for a visa within the country

I just feel I should be doing more and don't want to miss out on not having the appropriate paperwork ready or left back at home.

Am I doing enough
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:49 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Am I doing the right thing.............

Be sure to bring documents erm...documenting your work experience. Get NZQA to verify your training (if applicable) [that's $450 out the door] and uh...yeah, don't be shy about going into the immigration office when you get here if you need information. The NZIS office in Christchurch was very approachable and helpful.
I see you are coming in July, so bring some warm clothing. The housing here in New Zealand tends toward the cold, drafty and damp during the winter. A squeegee for the windows will probably be one of your first purchases from the Warehouse. (The Warehouse? Oh, you'll get to know the Big Red Shed, I'm sure. )

Good luck, mate.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:02 am
preet in the bays

preetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nice

Just be absolutely certain that you can do things the way they tell you. Get it in writing if you can. I just say this as I had issues where one dept told me one thing and then another something else. I nearly lost my job offer due to this.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by happynz
Be sure to bring documents erm...documenting your work experience. Get NZQA to verify your training (if applicable) [that's $450 out the door] and uh...yeah, don't be shy about going into the immigration office when you get here if you need information. The NZIS office in Christchurch was very approachable and helpful.
I see you are coming in July, so bring some warm clothing. The housing here in New Zealand tends toward the cold, drafty and damp during the winter. A squeegee for the windows will probably be one of your first purchases from the Warehouse. (The Warehouse? Oh, you'll get to know the Big Red Shed, I'm sure. )

Good luck, mate.
Hi, do you think it would be at all possible for OH to get job offer before going out to NZ. He is a carpenter with C&G cabinet making qualifications.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:25 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Hi, do you think it would be at all possible for OH to get job offer before going out to NZ. He is a carpenter with C&G cabinet making qualifications.
I'm not in that line of business but I imagine that it might be better for your OH to be in New Zealand to look for that sort of work, that is unless your other half has some sort of international reputation for cabinet making. Or just have your OH tell 'em that he's Coxy's best mate. (You'll understand the reference when you get here).
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Yorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
From what I've experienced so far in discussing my situation with others ( immigration and recruitment agencies in NZ) that employers would prefer to see you attend a face to face interview. This is the main reason why I'm going over. I've contacted employers, sent CV's etc from both Carpentry and Bench Joinery trades as I'm qualified and experienced in both and had no response so far. When I get over there in July I'll have a better picture of whats on offer so I could let you know.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Yorksha
From what I've experienced so far in discussing my situation with others ( immigration and recruitment agencies in NZ) that employers would prefer to see you attend a face to face interview. This is the main reason why I'm going over. I've contacted employers, sent CV's etc from both Carpentry and Bench Joinery trades as I'm qualified and experienced in both and had no response so far. When I get over there in July I'll have a better picture of whats on offer so I could let you know.
That would be great, thanks. It's probably unlikely, but obviously it would be good for our points total!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Yorksha.

I know of two new UK chippies locally that have done just that.
One came out on a visitors visa , having sold up everything and put it into store in the UK and the money into an off-shore account. He found a job and processed his work permit within a month. He is now applying for PR.

The other rented out his house but already had PR as he was pulled from the pool with enough points. He was over the 100 without a job offer but I don't know how many points he had. Perhaps I will just straight out ask.
He had a job offer within a week and started straight away.

It is possible for a tradesman to get a job offer from the UK. There is a huge shortage of tradesmen here BUT its a bit blind on both sides isn't it.
You don't know what you are coming to . It could be good but it could be dire.
They don't know what they are getting. After all you are UK qualified not NZ

In the main , we have found that NZ trade firms prefer to actually see and meet the person they might employ.

Many NZ trade employers will show interest in you when you are still in the UK, but will like as not say 'see us when you get here'.

Still one never knows. You may get lucky.

Red Monsk - where do you want to settle. You could try keeping an eye out for the jobs local to where you want to be.

NZ Herald is good for that. you can view the jobs on-line

or try looking at

www.seek.co.nz

or trademe

or jobs.co.nz etc and have a bit of a nosey around.