Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Old Jul 7th 2012, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Thanks J19fmm

That's great to know I might find a job only having provisonal registration. Well, great in theory anyway! The reality of me actually convincing anyone to employ me may be somewhat different!

HeatherGirl
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl View Post
Thanks J19fmm

That's great to know I might find a job only having provisonal registration. Well, great in theory anyway! The reality of me actually convincing anyone to employ me may be somewhat different!

HeatherGirl
Sorry, perhaps I didn't make that clear. You are registered as 'Provisional' as a NZ teacher, nothing to do with your status in the UK.
You need to check whether you need to do your year in UK to gain entry. Try emailing [email protected] or looking at the TeachNZ website.

Last edited by j19fmm; Jul 7th 2012 at 6:36 pm. Reason: Added a bit
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

I'm pretty sure I don't need to have done that year in the UK to register provisionally in NZ. I just wanted to know how employable I would be as a provisionally registered teacher. However, my lack of experience will let me down when applying for jobs, which is why I may volunteer to gain knowledge of the NZ curriculum.

Thanks for the links - will check it out to make certain. Although I'm coming in 3 weeks regardless - hubby has a job waiting for him.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Quirky Camper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j19fmm View Post
Right having done most of this teachery stuff recently let's see if i can help.
Are you Primary or Secondary trained?
You need NZQA to assess your Degree and give you a Level. For example a Bachelor of Education Honours Degree comes out at a Level 7.
Then you send those details and many others including a Police Check from ACRO to get registered as a teacher for NZ.
You can't register as a Teacher without your level cert from NZQA.
Keep looking at www.edgazette.govt.nz/Vacancies to see what is around. It is unlikely you'll get a job offer whilst in UK.
It is a bit of a catch 22 situation to be honest, need a job, need to be in NZ, can't get Visa without job!
If you can afford to go out in November and have a holiday and a scout around all to the good. You didn't mention if you are in employment at the moment? I would hang on to your job if you are.
Feel free to PM me if you think I can help any more. Good luck!
Great thank you for this clear advise. It was seeming a bit foggy but now I am sure I'm on the right track. I just hope my PGCE is a recognised qualification in NZ.
Afterm my IQA report has come through, I will go onto the Teaching Council, then start looking for jobs. I realise it would be much better to get out to NZZ first, and I could go over Christmas holidays if this is still ongoing in December . . . I hope I'll be over there by then?
Thank you for your help. I may well be in touch again soon!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Ajohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really nice

I'm also heading out at that time to find a teaching job, realising it may not have been the best idea now but I do have family out there and managed to get myself a NZ passport through my dad. I take it your daughters father wasn't born in NZ? You could have got her citizenship by decent that way.

I'll hopefully be able to pick up a bar job to keep me going till I get a teaching job but was hopeful of the international relocation grant ($4000).
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Heathergirl, you have exactly the right attitude - volunteering is the only way to go in the land of 'who you know', Babybella will back this up!

Even if you want relieving work, most teachers choose their own relievers so unless you are 'known' it's extremely hard to find any work. Jobs are attracting over 80 applicants each and as a recent Principal I spoke to put it 'most of those are excellent candidates' but there is no where near enough work and preference is of course given to home grown candidates who have been trained in the NZ curriculum so gaining experience will be invaluable for you.

There are lots of online courses you could also do to immerse yourself in the NZ curriculum, for example the openpolytechnic in Welly has an online 'primary science' diploma. The University of Waikato where I've studied teaching also does lots of online courses. I'd also really recommend you sign yourself up for a te reo course too, most of which are free.

You may be interested in the guidelines given to Principals/BOTs which state the preference they must now give to NZ qualified teachers. Unfortunately it doesn't make good reading for UK qualified teachers but it does give a realistic view of what is happening on the ground so to speak in which there are far too many people chasing far too few jobs - similar to the UK in fact! http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/teaching-...s-from-abroad/

I wish you luck, it's not easy, but with the right attitude hopefully you'll find something.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Moso for a very informative and honest post. I will look into the courses you have mentioned - I think I'm going to need all the help I can get by the sound of it. While the situation doesn't look favourable - I'm a "glass full" kind of person. The job situation is not much better where I live so I'm not moving from a sure thing into the unknown.

Thanks for the heads-up!

In the meantime - I'll try to pick up any kind of work when I get there. I suppose my fear is I'll volunteer and they'll turn me down - now that would be soul destroying!!!!!

HeatherGirl
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent link thank you
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Once you find a school you'd like to volunteer in, I'd advise you to make an appointment and speak to the Principal and ask him/her to approach a teacher and class that you could volunteer in. You should find them willing to take you. If not, then it's only probably because they have students in the classes throughout the year already. Some of my friends who are students have struggled to find placements due to numbers but as a pure volunteer you should find them willing. Once you've been there a little while, there's nothing wrong in asking the Principal if you can attend their PD sessions too. There may be a local education centre that runs courses too. I'm not sure where you're heading, but this one is in Porirua http://www.manaeducationcentre.org.nz/

If you want help writing CVs in NZ style then this link is quite useful http://www.victoria.ac.nz/st_service...w_teachers.pdf Again, emphasis seems to be placed on the cover letter rather than the CV given the quantity of CVs schools are receiving.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Quirky Camper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone! Me again. I have a question about Teacher Registration. I completed the PGCE Primary and then, my NQT year, followed by 4 more years teaching. On the form is says, (copied from the notes that accompany the form)

10 ) Supervised teaching experience – Professional Status
a) Tick “yes” if, after completion of your teacher education programme, you have completed a planned programme of supervised
teaching with a mentor teacher, during your teaching service. You should also provide a signed, official statement on the
learning centre’s letterhead fully describing the system of support and appraisal provided that includes specific evidence of the programme.

I was wondering if I need to tick 'yes' because of my NQT year, when I was 'mentored' but still had my own class. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be very appreciative! Also, if the answer is 'yes' what evidence did you provide?
Can anyone shed some light on this please?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:00 am
MzB
Just Joined

MzB is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say some great info on this thread!!!
Hmmmm. teaching going to be tough to get into. I am primary trained and already in NZ - 1 week. Visa all sorted and have sent qualification assessmemt off and teacher reg so now a waiting game.
I have also spoke to Oasis education who are meetimng me next week. Apparently I have 10 days where I can do relief work before being registered???? Very strange, but I am goibng to hild off and not be pushed.
I am in the lucky position I still have July and aug pay to come to me from UK as sat out the year.
I have emailed schools and am desp to go in and volunteer to get a feel. I need to make sure this is the right choice for me and do not want to be thrown into supply having had no experience in an NZ school. The supply agency said just do it, Im not so sure. I want to see what it is all about!!! Currently on northshore with no car. Thinking of hiking to some schools or at least phining thenm to see as emailing has not had any responses!! I was polite. Right thnaks again for weath of info!!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Originally Posted by MzB View Post
Just wanted to say some great info on this thread!!!
Hmmmm. teaching going to be tough to get into. I am primary trained and already in NZ - 1 week. Visa all sorted and have sent qualification assessmemt off and teacher reg so now a waiting game.
I have also spoke to Oasis education who are meetimng me next week. Apparently I have 10 days where I can do relief work before being registered???? Very strange, but I am goibng to hild off and not be pushed.
I am in the lucky position I still have July and aug pay to come to me from UK as sat out the year.
I have emailed schools and am desp to go in and volunteer to get a feel. I need to make sure this is the right choice for me and do not want to be thrown into supply having had no experience in an NZ school. The supply agency said just do it, Im not so sure. I want to see what it is all about!!! Currently on northshore with no car. Thinking of hiking to some schools or at least phining thenm to see as emailing has not had any responses!! I was polite. Right thnaks again for weath of info!!
Sorry in advance for the thread hijack

Hi MzB, a quick question for you on this - what visa are you on? My wife is a primary teacher with NZ registration and NZ experiance etc but its not on any of the shortages lists (that we can find) so we couldn't see a way to PR with her as the primary applicant.
Thanks
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:03 am
MzB
Just Joined

MzB is an unknown quantity at this point

HiJack away!!! I did he he.
My OH got a job and I just have a visa. Not sure that answers your question, but im on a 3 yr work visa. Doubt ill end up teaching though which will break my heart as it's what I do. Just going to really show my face in schools etc over the next couple of weeks and see what happens.
How come u have reg and experience etc??
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:59 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Correct. Teachers are no longer on the shortage list SignMakeGiles.

I believe MzB's partner got a job offer in the printing industry so uplifted a temp work permit . MzB would have been granted an open work permit on the back of that.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Originally Posted by MzB View Post
HiJack away!!! I did he he.
My OH got a job and I just have a visa. Not sure that answers your question, but im on a 3 yr work visa. Doubt ill end up teaching though which will break my heart as it's what I do. Just going to really show my face in schools etc over the next couple of weeks and see what happens.
How come u have reg and experience etc??
OH spent 6 months teaching on our working holiday visa, she got offered a permenant job off that back of it which at the time would have lead to residency but didn't take it up as we wanted to come back to the UK so all our friends and family could come to our wedding. By the time we were married primary teacher had dropped off the wanted list, hence me going back to college and doing my carpentry qualifications - which has now also dropped off the wanted list
Wish we'd just got married on the beach in Fiji or Tonga or something then back to NZ..

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.