Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Quirky Camper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I being unrealistic?

Originally Posted by BEVS
First . Welcome to BE. As you have read , folk around here are very helpful indeedy. I have tweaked your title a wee bit to better reflect your questions.

So. Onto your quest to live and work in NZ. I calculate you may have around 105 points at best
10 yrs work exp.
That is without a job offer.

Teachers are no longer in shortage here . Many homegrown teachers are finding it difficult to find work, even supply work, so you may well need to think about that one.

As Ellenarosemary pointed out, you may only claim points for one qualification. Further , you will need to be registered with the NZ teachers council.

A working holiday visa will not allow you to bring your child with you.

As you are not in a permanent steady relationship with your child's father, he has no bearing on your own SMC application. It will be up to you to show that you can survive financially ,support your child and yourself in NZ & so, settle well.
Yes, I am finding people on here very helpful. Thank you for the 'tweek of title!' I think it's becomming obvious that I need a job offer before I submit my EOI and that the jobs are few and far between! I am also looking into a 'Work to residence' visa.
Thank you for your help!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Am I being unrealistic? - teacher

Ooh sorry everyone, yet another question! Would you recommend I use an agency to help me? Or is this something I can look into myself, just as quickly? I presume all the same hoops need to be jumped through and I know agents can be expensive?
However, I am willing to pay, if it increases my chances of getting over there? What are your experiences of agencies / going it alone?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

dont bother with an agency, we did and ours went bust and we lost all our money as did many others. The general opinion is that although they promise the earth with regard to job search, it is normally not forthcoming and that you can do all the work/paperwork etc yourself.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
dont bother with an agency, we did and ours went bust and we lost all our money as did many others. The general opinion is that although they promise the earth with regard to job search, it is normally not forthcoming and that you can do all the work/paperwork etc yourself.
OK great, thank you for this. I am fairly capable (so I thought), hence going it alone thus far but now I realise I've been very naive thinking I'd be wanted in NZ and that I could head over there, and then find a job!! oops.

But I can imagine, with all this super help and advice, I should be able to continue researching without an agent!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

You probably are more than capable! immigration agents are probably most useful if you have a complicated background situation that needs assistance, or if you are going to another country where immigration is much harder than NZ. Or - if you don't have the time or energy to spend in your immigration application :-)

The process is pretty straight forward for NZ once you start looking into it and the immigration website very helpful.

I think that although NZ is pretty insular in so far as it is affected by the global economy crisis, it has still been impacted by it, not to mention the economic affects of the ChCh earthquake.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I can't see a WTR visa being of much more help unless you feel you need the extra points for NZ work exp.
If you are in NZ when you possibly find a full time permanent job offer, then you would uplift a temporary work permit.

Your first quest: Get your quals assessed by NZQA ------ oops. You already did that one

2nd move: Apply to the teachers council to become NZ registered. At that point you become more employable as you can't work as a teacher without being NZ registered.

Maybe get a feel for this occupation through the Edgazette

As this thread is more about possible visas etc, I am moving it to the Immy forum. .
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
I can't see a WTR visa being of much more help unless you feel you need the extra points for NZ work exp.
If you are in NZ when you possibly find a full time permanent job offer, then you would uplift a temporary work permit.

Your first quest: Get your quals assessed by NZQA ------ oops. You already did that one

2nd move: Apply to the teachers council to become NZ registered. At that point you become more employable as you can't work as a teacher without being NZ registered.

Maybe get a feel for this occupation through the Edgazette

As this thread is more about possible visas etc, I am moving it to the Immy forum. .
This is so so helpful. Thank you. Yes, still waiting for IQA result. It's been in the 'Evaluation' process for, what seems like, ages!! OK, so next I need to register with Teacher's Council. Thank you. I will crack on with this ASAP. I have had a look and I notice I need a 'Police Clearance'. I guess I could do that now, while waiting for IQA result.
It's great to have some adivse. It's not as easy as I first thought!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quirky Camper
This is so so helpful. Thank you. Yes, still waiting for IQA result. It's been in the 'Evaluation' process for, what seems like, ages!! OK, so next I need to register with Teacher's Council. Thank you. I will crack on with this ASAP. I have had a look and I notice I need a 'Police Clearance'. I guess I could do that now, while waiting for IQA result.
It's great to have some adivse. It's not as easy as I first thought!
Not sure for which part of the process you need a police clearance for - if its for the EOI/ITA - don't do this yet. The certificates have to be no old than 6 months and it doesn't take long to get it (provided you don't have a dodgy past!)
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:07 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Police check only lasts a certain amount of time so I would say don't waste your money until you know you may be able to come over on a visa, unless of course you need it for the teachers council
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Police check only lasts a certain amount of time so I would say don't waste your money until you know you may be able to come over on a visa, unless of course you need it for the teachers council
SNAP!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

OK thank you for this. I need it to register with the Teacher's Council but I'll wait until I recieve my evaluation from IQA first, before I go ahead. I have a squeaky clean past! I have had a lot of 'police clearance' checks because in UK, we require 1 for each establishment we are assoiated with - I have one from my school where I teach, and one from Social Services when I do fostering.
Do you think these will count or do I need one specifically for the purpose of immigration?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

You'll need a police certificate from

http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

- i don't know if these are different to a police clearance.

If its the same, and is 6 months old or less when you go to use it, you can use one that you have had in the past - or rather, get another copy - it would need to be an original certificate.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Right having done most of this teachery stuff recently let's see if i can help.
Are you Primary or Secondary trained?
You need NZQA to assess your Degree and give you a Level. For example a Bachelor of Education Honours Degree comes out at a Level 7.
Then you send those details and many others including a Police Check from ACRO to get registered as a teacher for NZ.
You can't register as a Teacher without your level cert from NZQA.
Keep looking at www.edgazette.govt.nz/Vacancies to see what is around. It is unlikely you'll get a job offer whilst in UK.
It is a bit of a catch 22 situation to be honest, need a job, need to be in NZ, can't get Visa without job!
If you can afford to go out in November and have a holiday and a scout around all to the good. You didn't mention if you are in employment at the moment? I would hang on to your job if you are.
Feel free to PM me if you think I can help any more. Good luck!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Sorry to sway slightly off topic,

Does anyone know if you can gain NZ registration immediatley after qualifying? I've just finished my PGDE (and have a BA) and part-time teaching experience in a college of further education, prior to my PGDE. In Scotland we would normally carry out a probationary year to gain full registration. I'm wondering if they will offer me full or only provisional registration in NZ.. Anyone know?

I don't expect to walk into a job, given the current climate and that many "homegrown" NZ teachers are out of work, hopefully I'll get some supply or failing that - I'll volunteer if I have to!

Thanks guys...
HeatherGirl
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl
Sorry to sway slightly off topic,

Does anyone know if you can gain NZ registration immediatley after qualifying? I've just finished my PGDE (and have a BA) and part-time teaching experience in a college of further education, prior to my PGDE. In Scotland we would normally carry out a probationary year to gain full registration. I'm wondering if they will offer me full or only provisional registration in NZ.. Anyone know?

I don't expect to walk into a job, given the current climate and that many "homegrown" NZ teachers are out of work, hopefully I'll get some supply or failing that - I'll volunteer if I have to!

Thanks guys...
HeatherGirl
I've been teaching for years and my NZ teacher registration is still Provisional.
Try asking Ministry of Education about your degree, I've always found them helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.