Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

all confused again ( moved to main forum)

all confused again ( moved to main forum)

Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Cheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really nice
Default all confused again ( moved to main forum)

Can you only get PR either with a job offer or with a qualification in an area of skills shortage?

If this is the case then my other options are ...... a working visa? WTR? Are these the same thing?

How can you get a job without a visa? Or how can you get a visa without a job?

Basically, I want the security of a job before actually making the move with the whole family. But it seems that most agencies or companies won't talk to you because you don't have a visa. Any hints/tips/ideas how I get around this? Would love to hear how others have managed this.

I am quite prepared to fly out to NZ for interviews, etc, but surely need to have arranged them previously. How does one convince a potential employee of one's commitment without a visa in place?

BTW - I am a marketing manager so my skills are not particularly in demand.

Any advice gratefully received.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:26 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: all confused again ( moved to main forum)

Hola cabeza de queso,
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
Can you only get PR either with a job offer or with a qualification in an area of skills shortage?
No. You can also get PR via family quota, investment, talent and a few others that aren't springing to mind at the present. However, coming in via the skilled migrant route is the most common.

If this is the case then my other options are ...... a working visa? WTR? Are these the same thing?
No, they are not. A temporary work permit is just that -- temporary, no residency implied or given. A WTR should see you getting PR after two years.
How can you get a job without a visa? Or how can you get a visa without a job?
The ol' Catch 22, eh? If you would refer to my sticky at the top of the immigration forum it will show you how to go about getting as work visa or permit. At any rate, here we go -- In order to apply for a visa to work in New Zealand, you will need a valid offer of employment from a New Zealand employer. The offer must be in writing and contain the following information:

* name, address and telephone number of the employer

* name and address of the person to whom the job is offered

* a full job description stating:
- job title or designation
- the type of work, duties and responsibilites of the job
- any qualifications or training experience required
- the duration of the job
- the salary or remuneration
- how long the job offer is open

Applicants must produce evidence that they are suitably qualified by training and experience to do the job they have been offered, and that they can meet any New Zealand certification or registration requirements if these are required to carry out the job in New Zealand.

In many cases it will be necessary to confirm that the position can not be filled by a New Zealander.

With a contract in hand and if the employer has approval-in-principle (pre-approved to hire X-number of foreigners) or can demonstrate that no suitable Kiwis can be found than you should be able to get a work visa. The visas can be of one, two or three year duration. The one year visa won't require medicals or police clearances, but the two year and three year visas will. Upon arrival in New Zealand you will be stamped in with a permit according to the limitations listed on your visa.

Basically, I want the security of a job before actually making the move with the whole family. But it seems that most agencies or companies won't talk to you because you don't have a visa. Any hints/tips/ideas how I get around this? Would love to hear how others have managed this.
Perhaps you should consider coming out as a visitor, make the rounds and hopefully convince an employer that you are the one that they need and they will offer you a contract. With a contract in hand you can swan into NZIS and apply for a work permit and visa.

I am quite prepared to fly out to NZ for interviews, etc, but surely need to have arranged them previously. How does one convince a potential employee of one's commitment without a visa in place?
Get a tattoo of a silver fern on your forearm... No, not really (but, then again...)

You need to sell it like a mutha, that's for sure. If you have the skills and are sincere I think you'd have a chance. It may well boil down to how badly a company needs your skills.

BTW - I am a marketing manager so my skills are not particularly in demand.

Any advice gratefully received.
Oh, I don't know. Have a go. Get a list of potential employers, email as well as snail mail your best CV and work the phones. I first came here six years ago on a job offer from an employer who I first contacted via email. Having said that, boots on the ground shows real commitment and may be better.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Knightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really nice
Default Re: all confused again ( moved to main forum)

get to know the local market as much as possible . Unfortunately kiwi employers tend to think that non Kiwis do not understand the NZ market so they are hesitant especially in your area.

In your case, going through recruitment agencies will be a waste of time as they will not consider yr application / CV unless you have visa or PR.