Is an agent required???

Old May 30th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

glasgowceltic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is an agent required???

After reading through many responses on expats. regards agents etc, i am still in a current pickle about the requirments of an "agent" in all this, and cant make my mind up.

I am hoping to get the ball rolling somtime in August but i am not in the know regards applying for visa. I'm single, 29yrs, wishing a student visa (college placement/accomodation needed too), minnor conviction maybe on the way, hense the reason why i am waiting till august or can i apply earlier ???

Would i be wiser off with an agent's knowlege, expereince etc. Or is my case straight forward enuf to not need one. If an agent were best required can anybody reconmend any to me at all, as i dont know who to trust really.

Any advise would be really helpful.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:31 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is an agent required???

Hi,
I don't know much about student visas but I would imagine the same applies as far as agents are concerned in that you can do it yourself. I've seen some estimates from agents on here and they are always in the thousands of pounds range. That's a lot of money to spend on something that is probably unnecessary. Bear in mind that the move will cost plenty as it is.
I'm sure someone on here will know about that type of visa.
Have you tried the NZIS website, it can be a bit convoluted at times but all the info is on there if you keep looking

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Sue
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Gill and Ian has a brilliant futureGill and Ian has a brilliant futureGill and Ian has a brilliant futureGill and Ian has a brilliant futureGill and Ian has a brilliant futureGill and Ian has a brilliant futureGill and Ian has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by glasgowceltic View Post
After reading through many responses on expats. regards agents etc, i am still in a current pickle about the requirments of an "agent" in all this, and cant make my mind up.

I am hoping to get the ball rolling somtime in August but i am not in the know regards applying for visa. I'm single, 29yrs, wishing a student visa (college placement/accomodation needed too), minnor conviction maybe on the way, hense the reason why i am waiting till august or can i apply earlier ???

Would i be wiser off with an agent's knowlege, expereince etc. Or is my case straight forward enuf to not need one. If an agent were best required can anybody reconmend any to me at all, as i dont know who to trust really.

Any advise would be really helpful.
Hello, Glasgow,
we're new to this too.
We've looked at a couple of agencies and Sue is right: they're not cheap! Their argument is that they're cheaper then doing it yourself and getting it wrong...
We went to a Road Show over in Leeds run by an NZ agency we saw advertised in an NZ paper when we visited there back in February(www.newlifenewzealand.com: Call free from the UK 0808 234 2185) and they were helpful: but they are doing it for a living, eh?
These guys charge £100 just to assess whether they'll take your contract.
Some others send you a similar form for free and then get back to you.
We'll be watching this thread 'cos we are at the same stage as you and all the advice possible is useful, eh?
By the way, one of the questions they do ask is about convictions, so get prepared for a hiccup with that.
Good luck.
I expect you were really disappointed in the Manchester result....
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

itsslimjim is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't bother with an agent. I applied for skilled migration (yes the full living and working visa) and did it myself with help from a friend who already moved over. Its very simple really online, they make it much easier than for OZ.

The immigration department is actually very helpful too, you can email them any questions in the process and if need to then pay to chat in the office hours (quite exp. so just email unless really unsure).

Check the nz immigration website and take it from there...maybe drop them a line about your criminal record (minor or whatever) question.

There are forums on the immigration website where people post lots asking for help on the process, so you can also look there...
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:54 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

I'm single, 29yrs, wishing a student visa (college placement/accomodation needed too), minnor conviction maybe on the way, hense the reason why i am waiting till august or can i apply earlier ???

Any advise would be really helpful.[/QUOTE]

Welcome

You can always start on your own and then get an agent if you reach a 'hic cup' either you or someone on this site cannot deal with. You will generally find that someone on this site will be able to help, we are a mixed and varied bunch with plenty of information to give.

The agents work on the information you give them, so you really do it yourself anyway.

Your individual pack is detailed to your requirements and will set out exactly what is required of you for each element.

You don't get charged again if something is not right, they just request more information be sent.

Minor convictions don't really go against you, it's more terms of imprisonment that bothers them.

I don't feel an agent is needed, reading other threads this is the opinion of the majority of us.

Hope this helps

Pauline
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

TheNaylors is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

Using an agent is a costly business but if that is the route you want to take, it does pay to shop around. We have been to many emigrate shows and chatted with the agents there and searched on the internet too. The 1st agent we seriously looked at had lots of hidden clauses that meant that if we used their full service, ie job search, resettlement etc etc... we would have been looking at over £12,000 just in their fees alone (that did not even included any NZIS fees, migrant levy etc)! The one we are using has come in at less than a 3rd of the cost and offers a much better service!!!! I would prefer to do the process ourselves to save us some £££'s but with a hubby that stresses like mine, i could do without the extra hassle...

Also, for peace of mind make sure they are NZAMI regulated.

Hope this info is of some help
Jules