Agency?

Old May 21st 2007, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Banjo.Jon will become famous soon enoughBanjo.Jon will become famous soon enough
Default Agency?

Hiya,

We are just starting to look at emigrating ... done approx half the Expression of Interest form, and started researching areas to live, jobs etc.

Have contacted EmigratingExpert, and speaking to them am quite tempted to use their services. Before we do, I wanted some reassurance that it will be money well spent. For £95 they will help us do the forms, advise how to word/fill them in to get maximum points, speed things up etc, help to arrange moving, job hunting etc.

Has anyone else used them, or a similar agency? Or would you advise us to go it alone with the help of the internet?

TIA
Old May 21st 2007, 10:42 am
Just Joined

kirston will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Agency?

Hiya the replys you get from your question will be very interesting.On Friday we paid £95 to EmigratingExpert.
Fingers crossed it was a good move.
Kirston x
Old May 21st 2007, 11:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

HHmm.
With help from here you can fill in an EOI yourself on-line. Many of us have done this. You can't 'word' them to get max points. You simply answer the questions they put to you. It's an ABC exercise. Why not first try and fill out an on-line points assessment and see how you go . Come back to this site and let us know.

Further,I would be surprised that they could speed up your application.
NZIS prioritise on points and then on vialibility of the application. A certain amount of applications are selected from the EOI pool each month.
140 points will get you an automatic selection from the pool. A job offer with a start date would help prioritise your application to help the NZ employer wanting to employ you. Those are just examples. It's a logical game really, unless you have a special case or a special problem , in which case an agent can help you. There is an NZ association of reputable agents.

What line of work are you in. Any expo. recruitment agency etc can aid you find a job. So can a reccy here. Equally you can go through NZ yellow pages and its various online job sites and see if you can net a job from that.

What help with moving do you need? Many of us simply help each other.

Why not start with telling us what line of work you would be looking for.

Oh ! The £95 quid. Keep it mate. You'll manage and we are all here to help.
Old May 21st 2007, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Banjo.Jon will become famous soon enoughBanjo.Jon will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your quick reply ...

I have a degree in IT systems, and currently work in IT support.

My wife, has her degree in electronics and is a software engineer - mostly embedded software, but lots of C++, C and some java.

We've both worked about 10 years in our respective fields ...

My wifes passport has expired, so guess our first task is to pay the astronomical sum they now charge to get that renewed!

p.s. We both like the look of Christchurch - not sure if this is going to be the easiest place to find work for us etc ...
Old May 21st 2007, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

We are hoping to go to Christchurch .We have friends who have only 4 months ago moved to a suburb about 25 mins outside Christchurch and love it.We are hoping to go out on a recce next August.
Kirston x
Old May 21st 2007, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice

Welcome to the site. If it is just information you need on filling your form in, ask away on here. We're no where near applying yet but I am gleaning loads of info and stashing it away for future use.

Karma for a newbie to get you started.
Old May 22nd 2007, 6:41 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

For what it's worth I would keep your money in your pocket for when you get here.

As BEVS here says, there's nothing in there that you cannot do yourself with a bit of help from expats!!

Some people do prefer to use consultants because of pressure of work, but TBH, you still have to supply the evidence to the agency for your EOI and having just come out of the other side, it really is just a matter of working through it all.

Do a search on here and maybe PM a few people who have used them; (DonnaF springs to mind immediately, and TeamEmbo) It's much better to evaluate your decision now and be £95 down rather than £3000 later and realising you could have done it yourselves.

HTH
Old May 25th 2007, 12:51 am
Baa Baa

KiwiKate will become famous soon enoughKiwiKate will become famous soon enough

We did it all alone, and had no problems - it's really very straight-forward, assuming you have a clear-cut qualification, job history etc - maybe an agent is worthwhile if you don't have these, but I'm glad we saved the money and did it ourselves.
Old May 25th 2007, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banjo.Jon
Thanks for your quick reply ...

I have a degree in IT systems, and currently work in IT support.

My wife, has her degree in electronics and is a software engineer - mostly embedded software, but lots of C++, C and some java.

We've both worked about 10 years in our respective fields ...

My wifes passport has expired, so guess our first task is to pay the astronomical sum they now charge to get that renewed!

p.s. We both like the look of Christchurch - not sure if this is going to be the easiest place to find work for us etc ...
Hi,
I would say in your line of work both of you will need to be looking at Auckland or Wellington. We came over in Nov and husbands in IT support. We new from looking before we came out that Auckland and Wellington would be our hope. He got his job within the week. Good look
Carole
Old May 25th 2007, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

I did my application myself and although it was a hassle I got it done. I think 95 pounds sounds like a good deal. Sometimes you will wonder what they have done for their money but overall for peace of mind I think it is worth it.
They will deal with things well and the process is usually a bit quicker as if you miss things off the form it slows the process down so much.

I had friends who paid more than 95 so I personally think it is money well spent. The whole process can be daunting and scary so having an expert to help is a big advantage.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kirston
We are hoping to go to Christchurch .We have friends who have only 4 months ago moved to a suburb about 25 mins outside Christchurch and love it.We are hoping to go out on a recce next August.
Kirston x
Hi Kirston

Sorry to go off the point of the thread, but we've been looking at areas 25 to 45 minutes outside CHch. Could you possibly say which suburb is making them so happy? We wouldn't be looking for any contact or personal info, it's just we've researched ourselves to a standstill and could do with focusing on one area for a while - if only for a change. The daily newspapers and websites don't give you the 'feel' of the place - and my eyes/head all hurt from trying to read between the lines!!

Thanks
Old May 25th 2007, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi Happywanderer
No probs,the place they are living is called Rangiora.As i said they love it.We will start our recce there next year.
Hope this helps
Kirston x