British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Advise on WHV (12 month or 23 month) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advise-whv-12-month-23-month-801415/)

beckiwoo Jun 28th 2013 10:01 am

Advise on WHV (12 month or 23 month)

Hi

I am new to the New Zealand forum. Basically my plan A is to get the Canada WHV next year but obviously they are limited so no guarantee!

My plan B is New Zealand WHV as they are unlimited. I see that if you go for the 23 month visa you need a medical and Xray.

Does anyone know roughly how much both of these will cost?

If i decided to go for a 12 month visa and then extend whilst out in New Zealand, would it be easy for me to get the medicals done out there?

In regards to working, is the visa like the Australian one where you can only work for one employer for up to 6 months or can you work with the same employer throughout the visa duration?

Are there any stipulations on jobs you are unable to undertake out there on the WHV - for example I am a childrens care worker/youth worker in this country, would I be able to apply for similar positions in New Zealand under the WHV

Thanks for your help

:)

MrsFychan Jun 28th 2013 10:44 am

Re: Advise on WHV (12 month or 23 month)

medicals vary in prices if you want to get a 23mth visa straight off you will have to look at the list of approved clinics in your area and ring round.
If you go for a 12th mth visa then want to extend whilst here its easier and cheaper to get the medicals here.

not sure about employers but do believe that you are only allowed to work for a limited amount of months, you would have to check on the Immigration website for legalities of what you can and can't do.

Pinksar Jun 28th 2013 2:08 pm

Hubby and I have just had the full general medicals and X-rays and it cost just short of £800 for the 2 of us. Not cheap as its all done at private hospitals etc. good luck!

Persephone Jun 28th 2013 5:22 pm

You can go to any doctor to get your medicals done if you're in NZ. As MrsF says you have to use a Panel Doctor [one from the list] if you get them done in the UK.
You may have found the official site already: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm
You can search for doctors and radiologists on the site as well

I can't find anything giving a limit to how long you can work for one particular employer. All I could find was this which appears to say that you can wok for only one employer as long as it is less than one year.

Participants in this scheme must not work for a period exceeding 12 months. This may be in one consecutive period or interspersed throughout the total stay.
I don't think there are any limits as to jobs you can do on the WHV. The only possible limit could be the need for occupational registration in some professions.
P:)

beckiwoo Jun 28th 2013 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10777189)
You can go to any doctor to get your medicals done if you're in NZ. As MrsF says you have to use a Panel Doctor [one from the list] if you get them done in the UK.
You may have found the official site already: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm
You can search for doctors and radiologists on the site as well

I can't find anything giving a limit to how long you can work for one particular employer. All I could find was this which appears to say that you can wok for only one employer as long as it is less than one year.

I don't think there are any limits as to jobs you can do on the WHV. The only possible limit could be the need for occupational registration in some professions.
P:)

Thanks for your help.

yeah i looked on the main government site and could not find anything about time limit with each employer.

Medical seems a bit expensive though £400 considering my one for Canada (similar process of using an approved Doctor) would cost about £320 but then Im not sure if they require an xray.

I did have a look at the approved list and found some in my area which is great :)

MrsFychan Jun 28th 2013 9:43 pm

our panel Dr moaned that we were applying for NZ and not Canada, apparently the paperwork is that much more in depth and much more to fill in.

beckiwoo Jun 28th 2013 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10777421)
our panel Dr moaned that we were applying for NZ and not Canada, apparently the paperwork is that much more in depth and much more to fill in.

Yeah it seems like that.

I have to have a medical for Canada 1 year visa as I am hoping to working with children and anyone in health care/medicine need one, (others dont) I suppose from NZ's point of view if you are staying in their country for 2 years they want to know you are not bringing in a load of diseases/using their medical resources.