Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Advise on eligibility to live and work in NZ as a PR of Oz

Advise on eligibility to live and work in NZ as a PR of Oz

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

naomi20403 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise on eligibility to live and work in NZ as a PR of Oz

Hi,

Could any one advise me if I would be eligible to work and live in NZ as I have a PR of Oz valid until Aug 2012 ( Skilled independent visa, sub class 136 ) under the highly skilled migration scheme as a Professional Engineer ( Civil -under Building construction ) certified by Institute of Engineers Australia .

Are migrants welcome in NZ as compared to Oz ? Which cities are preferred to live in ?
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:22 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advise on eligibility to live and work in NZ as a PR of Oz

Originally Posted by naomi20403 View Post
Hi,

Could any one advise me if I would be eligible to work and live in NZ as I have a PR of Oz valid until Aug 2012 ( Skilled independent visa, sub class 136 ) under the highly skilled migration scheme as a Professional Engineer ( Civil -under Building construction ) certified by Institute of Engineers Australia .

Are migrants welcome in NZ as compared to Oz ? Which cities are preferred to live in ?
You'd have to check it but I belive AUS PRs are allowed to live and work in NZ without restriction. Check with NZIS though

"Are migrants welcome in NZ as compared to Oz ?"..... Are you sugesting that migrants are not exactly welcomed with open arms in AUS?

Anyway, in my experience I'd say definitely YES
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:52 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan View Post
You'd have to check it but I belive AUS PRs are allowed to live and work in NZ without restriction. Check with NZIS though

"Are migrants welcome in NZ as compared to Oz ?"..... Are you sugesting that migrants are not exactly welcomed with open arms in AUS?

Anyway, in my experience I'd say definitely YES
As discussed in another recent thread, part of the problem comes if/when you try to move back to Australia. Time spent in NZ does not count towards getting Aus citizenship, and when your Aus PR expires you may be refused a RRV for Aus on the grounds of not having enough ties.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by naomi20403 View Post
Hi,

As far as i know, if you have a valid permanent returning resident visa for aus you are entitled to a NZ perm resident permit when you arrive in nz, which means you can live and work in nz without restriction. note this does not work the other way round, if your aus perm resident visa expires (after Aug 2012 in your case) you will not be able to move back to aus as a nz perm resident

you can move to nz now and return to aus before 2012, but there may be restrictions on you renewing your aus perm resident visa for future trips outside of aus after 2012 depending on how long you were out of aus
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

And to take the thread that one stage further:

Am I right in thinking that NZ PR do not have a right to live and work in Oz but NZ Citizens do.

And ... it takes five years to get citizenship after PR in NZ and that as an NZ Citizen there would be some rights you would not have in Oz that an Aus PR would get?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bezzanbob View Post
And to take the thread that one stage further:

Am I right in thinking that NZ PR do not have a right to live and work in Oz but NZ Citizens do.

And ... it takes five years to get citizenship after PR in NZ and that as an NZ Citizen there would be some rights you would not have in Oz that an Aus PR would get?
a NZ citizen can live and work in aus (there are still some restrictions eg if you have a criminal record etc)
not sure what rights you dont have, i think it has to do with whether you can access state benefits and govt pensions, and maybe your right to vote?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by newkiwi View Post
a NZ citizen can live and work in aus (there are still some restrictions eg if you have a criminal record etc)
not sure what rights you dont have, i think it has to do with whether you can access state benefits and govt pensions, and maybe your right to vote?
Certainly pensions.

Five year to citizenship?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bezzanbob View Post
Certainly pensions.

Five year to citizenship?
5 years from becoming a NZ PR to becoming a Nz citizen. Idea is to stop people coming to Nz as a perm resident, getting citizenship quickly and jumping the ditch to aus....

time in aus as a nz citizen does not count towards becoming an aus citizen, you can never become an aus perm resident or citizen based only on being a nz'er living in aus