British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Advice welcome (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-welcome-439825/)

Yorksha Apr 4th 2007 8:42 am

Advice welcome

I'm due to travel to NZ in July as I have pre booked on a Snowboard Instructor Course in Cardrona for 10 weeks. Hopefully this will allow me time out to travel to Wanaka/ Queenstown to seek out potential employers to secure a Job offer. My profession is a Carpenter/ Joiner (19 years exp) as well as teaching (7 years exp inc) these subjects within schools and Colleges.

My questions are really about;

1) The potential for securing a job and which areas/ towns am I best to look in ( southern island preferably) considering my trade and locality

2) Can I easily get rented accomodation if I was to extend my stay after the course has finished

3) I have been notified ( London Expo) that I can apply for a Skilled Visa while I am in the country once securing a job offer. Has anyone experienced this process. How easy/ difficult is it

4) I'm told its cheaper to buy a car than to rent. Is this the case

I apologise for all the questions but I've got lots to think about as you can imagine.:blink:

Your thoughts are much appreciated :thumbsup:

poppets Apr 11th 2007 10:24 am

Re: Advice welcome

Originally Posted by Yorksha (Post 4600133)
I'm due to travel to NZ in July as I have pre booked on a Snowboard Instructor Course in Cardrona for 10 weeks. Hopefully this will allow me time out to travel to Wanaka/ Queenstown to seek out potential employers to secure a Job offer. My profession is a Carpenter/ Joiner (19 years exp) as well as teaching (7 years exp inc) these subjects within schools and Colleges.

1) The potential for securing a job and which areas/ towns am I best to look in ( southern island preferably) considering my trade and locality

2) Can I easily get rented accomodation if I was to extend my stay after the course has finished

3) I have been notified ( London Expo) that I can apply for a Skilled Visa while I am in the country once securing a job offer. Has anyone experienced this process. How easy/ difficult is it

I apologise for all the questions but I've got lots to think about as you can imagine.:blink:

no help what so ever , but it'll bump you back up & hopefully soemone who can help will see it . good luck xx

BEVS Apr 18th 2007 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Yorksha (Post 4600133)

As a chippy you will have no problem finding work anywhere in NZ.

Once you have the job, simply fill in the form for a work permit and it will be issued to you with no problem .

Please make sure you bring out all your qualification certs and proof of work exp with you. Also bring your UK police check.
Have your medical done here in NZ . It is cheaper.
Have your certificates etc. 'certified' by a justice of the peace here in NZ. That is free.

Anywhere in the South Island will be good for you.

Queenstown and Wanaka are still 'booming' with lots of construction work.

Rentals can be expensive. Queenstown is extremely expensive.
You will find that some choose to live on camp sites etc as it is cheaper.

Yes - Once you have a job as a carpenter, you apply for a work permit under the Skilled Migrant Category. It is quite simple to do. Fill out the form. Supply the paperwork, meds and police check and pay the fee.

Better to buy a car than to hire one if staying for any length of time. Be aware that WOF is six monthly - like MOT. There is no compulsary car insurance to buy.

Enjoy the ski instructor course. :thumbup:

Yorksha Apr 18th 2007 6:53 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 4658392)
As a chippy you will have no problem finding work anywhere in NZ.

Once you have the job, simply fill in the form for a work permit and it will be issued to you with no problem .

Please make sure you bring out all your qualification certs and proof of work exp with you. Also bring your UK police check.
Have your medical done here in NZ . It is cheaper.
Have your certificates etc. 'certified' by a justice of the peace here in NZ. That is free.

Anywhere in the South Island will be good for you.

Queenstown and Wanaka are still 'booming' with lots of construction work.

Rentals can be expensive. Queenstown is extremely expensive.
You will find that some choose to live on camp sites etc as it is cheaper.

Yes - Once you have a job as a carpenter, you apply for a work permit under the Skilled Migrant Category. It is quite simple to do. Fill out the form. Supply the paperwork, meds and police check and pay the fee.

Better to buy a car than to hire one if staying for any length of time. Be aware that WOF is six monthly - like MOT. There is no compulsary car insurance to buy.

Enjoy the ski instructor course. :thumbup:

Cheers Bevs. Took alot off my mind