British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Advice - Silver Fern Job Search Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-silver-fern-job-search-visa-921663/)

duxkey Feb 1st 2019 4:17 pm

Advice - Silver Fern Job Search Visa

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could offer up some advice. I'm looking into the SFJS visa and noticed that you cannot apply for a partner of dependents on this visa or the Silver Fern Job Visa that you get if you are successful in your job search. So my question, what's the best way to move with a partner in this scenario?

I have noticed that the job search visa is also the same length as a visitor visa. Could I hypothetically travel on the job search visa while my partner travels on visitor visa? Would my partner be able to get a spousal work visa if my job search is successful?

I know that the SFJS visa is incredibly limited and difficult to attain so this is speculation at this point.

MrsFychan Feb 2nd 2019 2:04 am

Re: Advice - Silver Fern Job Search Visa

what are your skills sets, do you have the criteria to uplift a visit that would allow partners ?

escapedtonz Feb 4th 2019 6:53 am

Re: Advice - Silver Fern Job Search Visa

Originally Posted by duxkey (Post 12630860)
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could offer up some advice. I'm looking into the SFJS visa and noticed that you cannot apply for a partner of dependents on this visa or the Silver Fern Job Visa that you get if you are successful in your job search. So my question, what's the best way to move with a partner in this scenario?

I have noticed that the job search visa is also the same length as a visitor visa. Could I hypothetically travel on the job search visa while my partner travels on visitor visa? Would my partner be able to get a spousal work visa if my job search is successful?

I know that the SFJS visa is incredibly limited and difficult to attain so this is speculation at this point.

Correct. Silver fern JSWV is only for the individual. Partners and dependents cannot apply for any visa that is linked to JSWV.
This type of JSWV is a 9 month visa and yes it can be the same as the duration of a visitor visa, BUT that all depends where the visitor visa applicant comes from or where they are a citizen of? If it is GB then it is a visa waiver country and you would not normally apply for a visitor visa. All you need do is jump on a plane with a return ticket and after completing the arrival card you can remain in NZ up to 6 months as a visitor ONLY (no working at all). To remain here for the full 9 months the applicant would have to formally apply for a visitor visa which I suppose can be done but may raise questions if you are from a visa waiver country? A person can only remain in NZ for a maximum of 9 months in any 18 month period as a visitor.
Hypothetically, yes you could both travel on different visas at the same time but you just need to be aware you individually remain within and meet the conditions of your individual visas. Your partner would not be able to apply for a partnership based visa if you are on Silver Fern. You would have to wait until you are on a different type of visa that will allow a partner to apply for a partnership based visa. You would have to get the job offer whilst in NZ on SFJSWV, then apply & be approved for a temporary work visa - e.g. essential skills or equivalent and then ensure the job, salary etc meets the partnership criteria before your partner could apply for a visa based on partnership.
As you know Silver Fern JSWV is difficult to obtain and pot luck if you land one of the 300 places so it's a big ask to pin your hopes on it. A better option, in my opinion would be for you both to apply for WHV's (working holiday visas) assuming you meet the criteria. If you are UK based you could both come to NZ on an extended holiday together for up to 23 months and work for a total of up to 12 months. Gives you more time to get the skilled job offer and apply for a temporary work visa then get your partner on a partnership based visa and then apply together for Resident Visa with the job offer points.