British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Advice on Points Calculation Skilled Migrants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-points-calculation-skilled-migrants-838901/)

moksh19 Jul 17th 2014 4:21 am

Advice on Points Calculation Skilled Migrants

Hi All,

I am planning to submit EOI for resident visa for New Zealand. Can you please assist me?

My Details:

Age - 29 Years
Qualification - B.Tech (Computer Science) (2002 - 2006)
University - Kurukshetra University Kurukshetra (KUK)
Experience - 7.5 years (Software Testing) (Jan 2007 - till date)
IELTS - Dec 7, 2013
IELTS Score - 7 overall

Wife's Details:

Qualification - B.Tech (Computer Science) (2002 - 2006)
University - Kurukshetra University Kurukshetra (KUK)
Experience - 6 years (Software Testing) (Jan 2007 - Dec 2010 and Aug 2012 - till date)

I am confused in area of skill shortage points. My qualification is "Bachelor of technology(computer engineering)" which is exempted from assessment (kurukshetra university.). My work experience is in Software Testing which comes under ICT. But in Long term occupation list, for ICT, "Bachelor of technology" is not mentioned in third column (area of skill shortage ), however, "Bachelor of engineering(computer engineering)" is mentioned. As per me "bachelor of technology (computer engineering)" and "bachelor of engineering(computer engineering)" should be same.

Questions:

1. In this case , would I get "area of absolute skill shortage" points??
2. do I need to get my qualification assessment??
3. Can anybody please confirm my points? As per me I am securing 145 points

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Moksh

Persephone Jul 17th 2014 6:05 pm

Re: Advice on Points Calculation Skilled Migrants

Hello and welcome

I can't give you definite answers I'm afraid:(

Q.1 I don't know. INZ may just look and go 'it's not the exact degree on the list'. Those judging your application are not qualified to assess whether it is or not. Or they may be fine with it:unsure:
I checked my profession because there are a number of differently named quals that are exactly the same and it's on the LTSSL. Only because if they listed one name, I know for a fact that those with a differently named degree are included as well. Unfortunately the only requirement on the LTSSL is to hold NZ registration [since you cannot register without a degree acceptable to my regulatory body]. So that doesn't help you.
We do get many posters on here with ICT quals so hopefully someone will come along and help

Q.2 Not if it is on the list. It may be possible to request it be assessed as to whether it is equivalent to one on the LTSSL though.

Q.3 If you include points for LTSSL work exp and qual, then I also get 145 which would be an automatic selection. Without those bonus points, you are not going to be selected.

I don't know which country you're from but if it isn't in a Comparable Labour Market then you can only claim points for work exp if it was for a multinational company and/or your experience is in an Area of Absolute Shortage.
You need your degree to be equivalent to the one on the LTSSL.
If you want to include points for your wife's qualification then she must meet the same IELTS level as the principal candidate.
Sorry I can't be much help

You may notice that I have edited your post. I have removed the personal details that are not necessary such as full name and DOB-best not to put all that info out publically in one place ;)

moksh19 Jul 18th 2014 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 11339423)
Hello and welcome

I can't give you definite answers I'm afraid:(

Q.1 I don't know. INZ may just look and go 'it's not the exact degree on the list'. Those judging your application are not qualified to assess whether it is or not. Or they may be fine with it:unsure:
I checked my profession because there are a number of differently named quals that are exactly the same and it's on the LTSSL. Only because if they listed one name, I know for a fact that those with a differently named degree are included as well. Unfortunately the only requirement on the LTSSL is to hold NZ registration [since you cannot register without a degree acceptable to my regulatory body]. So that doesn't help you.
We do get many posters on here with ICT quals so hopefully someone will come along and help

Q.2 Not if it is on the list. It may be possible to request it be assessed as to whether it is equivalent to one on the LTSSL though.

Q.3 If you include points for LTSSL work exp and qual, then I also get 145 which would be an automatic selection. Without those bonus points, you are not going to be selected.

I don't know which country you're from but if it isn't in a Comparable Labour Market then you can only claim points for work exp if it was for a multinational company and/or your experience is in an Area of Absolute Shortage.
You need your degree to be equivalent to the one on the LTSSL.
If you want to include points for your wife's qualification then she must meet the same IELTS level as the principal candidate.
Sorry I can't be much help

You may notice that I have edited your post. I have removed the personal details that are not necessary such as full name and DOB-best not to put all that info out publically in one place ;)

Thanks for the detailed information.

What I can understand from you that there is a chance that they can consider my qualification as equivalent to the quals listed in LTSSL and let me secure area of skill shortage points. In case they won't consider it as equivalent to one listed in LTSSL, then I may need to get qual assessment done to match my qual as equivalent to one listed in LTSSL and to get area of skill shortage points. Am I right?

What should I do now? Shall I submit EOI with 145 points (taking area of skill shortage points into consideration) or should I get my qual assessment done even my qual is in exempt list prior submitting the EOI? Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Moksh

Persephone Jul 18th 2014 4:18 pm

I can't answer you:( I do not know.

I suggest contacting NZIS to see whether they can give you advice on this. As I said, they may be happy with your degree being the same or they might not.
Again, you could look into whether NZQA would assess your degree as equivalent to the one on the LTSSL. They don't deal with whether you will get those points but may be able to say it's the same degree [just a slightly different name!].

You don't mention where your work experience was gained but the Comparable Labour Market may be an issue if you're not classed as being on the LTSSL.
No point potentially wasting the cost of an EOI until you have the answers.

Sorry, I can't be more help

moksh19 Jul 20th 2014 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 11340571)
I can't answer you:( I do not know.

I suggest contacting NZIS to see whether they can give you advice on this. As I said, they may be happy with your degree being the same or they might not.
Again, you could look into whether NZQA would assess your degree as equivalent to the one on the LTSSL. They don't deal with whether you will get those points but may be able to say it's the same degree [just a slightly different name!].

You don't mention where your work experience was gained but the Comparable Labour Market may be an issue if you're not classed as being on the LTSSL.
No point potentially wasting the cost of an EOI until you have the answers.

Sorry, I can't be more help

I met a consultant. He told me that India is not in comparable labour market and in this case your work experience should be in a company whose head office should be in a country listed as comparable labour market. If I do not fulfil these conditions then I cannot claim points for recognised work experience.

But I read on immigration URL Recognised work experience - New Zealand Immigration Service

"Work experience points may also be awarded for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage, gained in any labour market. Applicants who do not have skilled employment or an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand, but who do have work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage gained in a non-comparable labour market, can claim points for work experience on their Expression of Interest"

My experience is in LTSSL (software testing). Is it something i need to worry about?

Thanks,
Moksh

Persephone Jul 21st 2014 3:29 pm

Yes, I mentioned that above.
It's why you need to know whether your degree will come under the LTSSL as if not then you will not get points for your work experience and it will be a waste of money submitting an EOI.

I would ask the consultant about your degree and how NZIS deal with those where the degree name is slightly different. Do they accept it in some cases or would you have to get it assessed as equivalent?
There must be many degrees that are essentially the same but have different names.
My degree has 5 different names [from 7 universities!] in the UK but all do the same thing and would be accepted in NZ.
P :)

moksh19 Jul 22nd 2014 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 11343283)
It's why you need to know whether your degree will come under the LTSSL as if not then you will not get points for your work experience and it will be a waste of money submitting an EOI.

I would ask the consultant about your degree and how NZIS deal with those where the degree name is slightly different. Do they accept it in some cases or would you have to get it assessed as equivalent?
There must be many degrees that are essentially the same but have different names.
My degree has 5 different names [from 7 universities!] in the UK but all do the same thing and would be accepted in NZ.

Thanks for the reply. It will help.

moksh19 Jul 22nd 2014 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 11343283)

One more question please.

Can you please tell me how much time visa processing will take after getting EOI invitation. Is it 1-2 years?

MrsFychan Jul 22nd 2014 9:12 am

it depends where it is submitted, please check the Immigration website for the branch time lines.

but I really don't think you need to be worrying about that for now you need to sort out your qualification and if you will then have enough points to try and submit an EOI

Sandeepthi Oct 30th 2014 11:33 am

Hi moksh19,

I am from INDIA and I too have the same problem with my qualification being B-Tech in Computer Science Engineering from KAKATIYA University which is recognized but its present as Bachelor of Engineering technology in LTSS.
Did you apply for EOI and what's your status. I have completed my EOI and will be waiting for your reply.

Please do reply.

Thanks.

Mohad21 Apr 14th 2015 5:59 pm

Hi all,

can you updates us what happened. I am in same situation