British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   advice please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-please-766770/)

boogersthebugler Jul 31st 2012 8:20 am

advice please

I have been reading information regards immigration for the last 3 weeks and i'm looking for a bit of advice.

My wife and I are looking to take the family to live in New Zealand to be closer to my wife's family who live in Auckland (they moved out there about 10 years ago). I have been looking at the points indicator and the various possible VISA routes and have become a little disheartened at our chances.

I am a serving police officer who is also qualified as a teacher, my points get close but not over 140 on the points indicator and that leaves me wandering whether or not i would get a work visa in the skilled migrant category. I know that NZ police are only recruiting residents and teachers are plenty.

The other option we have is to invest money into our NZ family business and look to apply through the investor/investor plus visa. I have been told an investment figure of 25% of the business is right.

We really want to take the step to move our 3 kids and 2 dogs and i have seen a lot of good advice given on this site. If anyone can give a little advice on the best VISA option then would really appreciate it.:confused:

ellenarosemary Jul 31st 2012 3:29 pm

Re: advice please

Yes as little as 25% is acceptable. You have to do a business plan, etc etc and to be quite honest it wouldnt be easy. We looked at it but my husband managed to get a job instead when baker came back on the ISSL list.

If you do get in on the LTBV I suggest if one of you gets a job which is on the skilled list to transfer over to PR via the skilled migrant category. Granted it will cost you twice, but you would be safer a lot quicker than the 3 years it takes to get PR with a business visa.

ps You dont say if your wife works, and if so what as. If you do go down the LTBV route, perhaps put her as principal and then get a job yourself.

boogersthebugler Jul 31st 2012 3:50 pm

the business we would be thinking about investing in is already established and part owned by family. Do you know if that would be an issue?

I am hoping that we can do this when we get out to NZ anyway and i would prefer to go to NZ with a work visa initially. The investment route was another alternative having seen how difficult it is to get a work visa at the moment.

alexn Aug 2nd 2012 7:26 am

This is a complex situation to assess directly. You need to see some migration agent to give you your best option. You should not proceed directly on some visa path, unless confirmed by a registered migration expert. Best to see one. Check the list of migration agents. You are looking at some business visa option or a direct residence path. So check with the migration agent. They are the best experts to give accurate advice.

Originally Posted by boogersthebugler (Post 10202380)
I have been reading information regards immigration for the last 3 weeks and i'm looking for a bit of advice.

My wife and I are looking to take the family to live in New Zealand to be closer to my wife's family who live in Auckland (they moved out there about 10 years ago). I have been looking at the points indicator and the various possible VISA routes and have become a little disheartened at our chances.

I am a serving police officer who is also qualified as a teacher, my points get close but not over 140 on the points indicator and that leaves me wandering whether or not i would get a work visa in the skilled migrant category. I know that NZ police are only recruiting residents and teachers are plenty.

The other option we have is to invest money into our NZ family business and look to apply through the investor/investor plus visa. I have been told an investment figure of 25% of the business is right.

We really want to take the step to move our 3 kids and 2 dogs and i have seen a lot of good advice given on this site. If anyone can give a little advice on the best VISA option then would really appreciate it.:confused:

MrsFychan Aug 2nd 2012 7:31 am

Originally Posted by alexn (Post 10206232)
So check with the migration agent. They are the best experts to give accurate advice.

You having a laugh?

Your best option is to speak to someone at Immigration so call NZ house direct and speak to the ones that do ACTUALLY know what they are talking about and unless you have no alternative but speak to an Immigration Advisor only used one that is personally recommended

ellenarosemary Aug 2nd 2012 7:51 am

If you need to speak to an immigration agent for advice, thats not too bad, but beware they do differ in their advice anyway (or thats what we found). We used one and lost all our money - so beware.

With regard to going on a LTBV as long as you own 25% or more I dont think it actually matters how many other owners there are its the percentages that count.

boogersthebugler Aug 3rd 2012 4:07 pm

to answer an earlier question, my wife works part-time as an estate agent. It would probably be her as the principal should we apply through the investor route and then i would look to pick up work whilst i as out there.