Advice on Permanent Residency

Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Bluebell1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Permanent Residency

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on becoming a permanent resident of New Zealand.

Myself and my girlfriend are both UK citizens and are very close to finishing our university degrees (ME: animal behavioural science and welfare. HER: conservation and biodiversity). We have decided we'd like to emigrate to New Zealand in a few years once my partner has a few years experience in teaching as that’s what career she wants to follow.

Me on the other hand want to join the NZ police force. Reading their website you need to be a NZ permanent resident before you can apply. From my browsing of the NZ Immigration website we would fall under skilled migrants? (i might be wrong) which I think means we'd have residential visas? If successful and then have to work for 2 years before applying for permanent?

Am I mistaken? If not is there anyway one could be considered for permanent residency without the 2 year visa first? And by any I mean one that we could realistically achieve.

Thank you very much for your time, any and all feedback is appreciated. Sorry if I’ve not been totally clear.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 5:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Advice on Permanent Residency

That's OK. Everything always starts and for the most part , remains as clear as mud.

Welcome to BE by the way.

Start HERE. Points Indicator. Yes. It is possible you could enter under the skilled migrant category. Points means prizes though , so having a job offer helps.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bevs,

Having a go at the points indicator if we both has offers of employment we'd have 190 points - if my partner was principle applicant and she alone had an offer of employment we'd have 170 points. (unless i've done it wrong)

I think what i was trying to find out was if we apply in this method is 'permanent residency' possible from the start or does everyone have to go through the 2 year residency visa first~? This is important for me as i have my heart set on joining the NZ police force and would like to be able to apply right away rather than having to work for 2 years an an unrelated field.

Second question: if i am applying with my girlfriend, do we need to prove we have been together for x amount of time? if so how? we have been together for almost 3 years now (at university) but planned on living with our parents till we emmigrated to save as much money as we can. I think i read somewhere you need to prove you live together for 12 months or so.

Any feedback is very much appreciated. thank you
Old Mar 10th 2012, 11:09 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
Permanent residency via the skilled migrant category is possible right from the start if you have enough points to be selected, there is not necessarily a need for a job offer. Most of the other visas require a job offer first [eg work visa or work to residence visa]
Your points total seems very high given that neither of you have work experience. What is your points breakdown if you don't mind me asking? It may be all ok of course!
You mention working for two years before becoming a permanent resident. Are you referring to the WTR visa or skilled migrant visa?
If you are looking at the skilled migrant category then you are granted residency right from the start. You gain a 'permanent resident visa' after living in NZ for 2 years [ very succinct answer only!] Until then you have a 'resident visa with travel conditions for two years'. This means you can leave and return to NZ and enter as a resident for two years only. If you never leave NZ then your residency stays intact. After two years you apply for a 'permanent resident visa' which allows you to leave NZ for any amount of time and return as a resident. Hope I haven't just complicated things for you!
Old Mar 10th 2012, 11:15 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluebell1985
Thanks Bevs,

Second question: if i am applying with my girlfriend, do we need to prove we have been together for x amount of time? if so how? we have been together for almost 3 years now (at university) but planned on living with our parents till we emmigrated to save as much money as we can. I think i read somewhere you need to prove you live together for 12 months or so.

Any feedback is very much appreciated. thank you
Sorry, missed this one!
If you want to apply as a couple and apply under the SMC then you have to have lived together for at least 12months and be able to prove that. This means letters addressed to both of you at the same address, shared bills, holidays etc. If you are living with parents then consider some way that you can provide proof of shared outgoings and a shared life, maybe a joint account?
Old Mar 10th 2012, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Hi Persephone,

The 170 Breakdown was for using my partner as applicant- and going on the fact that she has a job offer outside of auckland - this is hypothetical at this stage of course and we'd not leave the UK for a few years as she wants at least 2 years exp here teaching ( i put down 2 years relevant exp).

we both have BSc Hons degrees (Level 8?) which i entered and that gave us 170 points. Did i make a mistake? if there is no job offer its only 110 points

You've not made it more confusing - you've been fantastically helpful
Old Mar 10th 2012, 11:43 am
Queen of the Underworld

That sounds more realistic!
Was assuming you were applying now. I'm assuming 30 for age, 60 for job outside Auckland, 50 for quals, 20 for partner's quals and 10 for work experience then?.
At the moment >140 is an automatic selection so if you could get a job offer and you could prove your relationship then you could apply now. Lots of coulds in that sentence

The terminology regarding residency changed just over a year ago. It was always considered that you gained permanent residency under the SMC right from the start until then. You now only gain a 'permanent residency visa' after 2 years. In reality nothing has changed, NZ has not changed the criteria regarding PR at all, only the terminology.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 11:55 am
Just Joined

thanks very much Persephone.

you've been fantastic - i'm not sure how the points work so i'll assume your assumptions are correct my age right now is 27 (as of yesterday) and my partner 21, if we wait a few years i'll be getting on a bit so really want to do everything before i get too past the big 30. If only i had thought about this years ago
Old Mar 10th 2012, 12:20 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Happy birthday for yesterday

What you lose in age you generally gain in work experience so it's swings and roundabouts really. Just ask if you have any questions even if they seem trivial!

Hey and 30 is not that big