British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Advice needed please about RRV and IRV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-needed-please-about-rrv-irv-618399/)

Trev and Jayne Jul 5th 2009 10:43 am

Advice needed please about RRV and IRV

Hi Everyone

Ive been looking on the NZ immigration website and cant find any answers so thought you guys might be able to help me. My partner and I arrived in NZ about 5 days ago with PR visa's but I have just found out that my dad has advanced stage cancer. Its pretty much guaranteed that I will be going home very soon and I dont know yet for how long (still in shock at the moment). I could end up staying back in the UK but wanted some advice re what happens if I wish to come back. My partner was the main applicant with me on his application and when I go he will be staying in NZ for the time being. I know to apply for the IRV after 2 years you have to show you have been in NZ for over 6 months but depending on what happens I might be back in the UK for more than that. Does anyone have any experience of something similar (I hope not the same circumstances) that they can offer any advice. I need to go home but dont want to give up on the NZ dream.

Thanks

Jayne xxx

Am Loolah Jul 5th 2009 10:48 am

Re: Advice needed please about RRV and IRV

Originally Posted by Trev and Jayne (Post 7725082)
Hi Everyone

Ive been looking on the NZ immigration website and cant find any answers so thought you guys might be able to help me. My partner and I arrived in NZ about 5 days ago with PR visa's but I have just found out that my dad has advanced stage cancer. Its pretty much guaranteed that I will be going home very soon and I dont know yet for how long (still in shock at the moment). I could end up staying back in the UK but wanted some advice re what happens if I wish to come back. My partner was the main applicant with me on his application and when I go he will be staying in NZ for the time being. I know to apply for the IRV after 2 years you have to show you have been in NZ for over 6 months but depending on what happens I might be back in the UK for more than that. Does anyone have any experience of something similar (I hope not the same circumstances) that they can offer any advice. I need to go home but dont want to give up on the NZ dream.

Thanks

Jayne xxx

Gosh Jayne, I'm so sorry to hear this so soon in to your new adventure.:( You poor thing.

I honestly don't know the answer to your question. As you have a RV sticker in your passport I would ASSUME the rules apply to you equally as they do the Principal Applicant, but I could well be wrong. I'll do a little search and see if I can find out more for you.:o

From NZIS

Were you granted residence after 30 October 1995?

Your first Returning Resident’s Visa is issued to you at the time you are issued your residence visa or permit. It is valid for two years from the date the first residence permit is granted.

"After your first Returning Resident’s Visa expires you must apply for a second Returning Resident’s Visa. Your second or subsequent visa may be valid indefinitely (enabling multiple trips in and out of New Zealand indefinitely) or may be valid for 12 months or 14 days. An indefinite visa is granted provided you were the principal applicant in the original residence application, or you are included in the RRV application lodged by the original principal applicant, and you are able to meet the requirements that show commitment to New Zealand, e.g. spent most of your time in New Zealand. If you are unable to meet those requirements you may be eligible for a 12 month or 14 day Returning Resident’s Visa."

I believe you have to spend a total of 184 days a year in NZ, minimum.

From here

Trev and Jayne Jul 5th 2009 11:04 am

Hi,

Thanks, I knwo six months is quite a long time to go back to the UK for but under the circumstances it could well be that long. I think I will call NZ immigration and see if they take into account special circumstances especially if my partner stays in NZ to work, that should show committment to the country I would hope.

Thanks for the help

Jayne

Am Loolah Jul 5th 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Trev and Jayne (Post 7725124)
Hi,

Thanks, I knwo six months is quite a long time to go back to the UK for but under the circumstances it could well be that long. I think I will call NZ immigration and see if they take into account special circumstances especially if my partner stays in NZ to work, that should show committment to the country I would hope.

Thanks for the help

Jayne

Pretty sure, that if the Principal Applicant meets the criteria then your IRRV will be granted too.:fingerscrossed:

MnB Jul 5th 2009 10:13 pm

Oh you poor girl, its so awful to have to face this at any time let alone when you've just travelled across the world ((((hugs))))

Dont know if you're aware, just read elsewhere that Air NZ will refund part of airfare for journeys taken urgently for family illness/compassionate reasons, think you have to ask Dr to fax them reasons for need to return ... may be worth contacting Air NZ direct to check out. HTH lol

Take Care

Trev and Jayne Jul 6th 2009 1:03 am

Thanks, thats definitely worth looking into, I didnt know anything about it.

Were still not giving up on NZ though, my partner will probably stay here for most of the time and hopefully NZ immigration will see that as some form of committment to the country when we apply for IRV later, will have to see :fingerscrossed:

cheers again

Jayne

Kimi-Deacon Jul 6th 2009 4:29 am

Hi Jayne, so sorry to hear about your Dad, but hope this might be a bit of good news, our son was granted PR and validated his visa but decided to live in the UK for now, so we were concerened that as he wouldnt have done the required days he wouldnt qualify for the IRRV.

OH who was the principal applicant emailed NZIS to find out where we stood and we were told that as long as the Principal applicant does the required amount of days, anybody that was on the original application would be granted the IRRV, so as long as your application goes in with your OHs you will get the IRRV as well. Hope this all makes sense.
Steph x

Trev and Jayne Jul 6th 2009 7:25 am

Hi Steph

That's great news, definitely takes a bit of the pressure off my mind, I assume your son is able to work aswell back in the UK? If im home for a while im going to need to work a bit.

Thanks again for that, hopefully one less thing to think about,

Jayne x

newkiwi May 11th 2010 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Trev and Jayne (Post 7725082)
Hi Everyone

Thanks

Jayne xxx

Your PR RRVs are initially valid for 2 years, there should be a "must not arrive after" date on them. You can come and go as you want between the uk and NZ up to that date. It will be important for you to be IN New Zealand when the initial visa expires, to make sure you dont have potential problems returning to NZ. But that is a date two years from now.

The potential issue may arise when you apply for your IRRV after two years, if you have not been in NZ enough days NZIS may only grant you a one year RRV. (or they may look at your situation and my guess is they will prob give you an IRRV)

My advice would be to make sure you are in NZ when your initial visa expires, and then apply and see what NZIS gives you by way of either an IRRV or another 1 year RRV.

Do NOT travel outside NZ without a valid RRV, even for a day trip to Aus.

If you are in NZ you are Perm Residents and you are fine.

BEVS May 12th 2010 11:50 pm

Nahb
I have moved your posts & the helpful reply from Newkiwi to a new thread HERE .

Jayne
I am very sorry to read the sad news about your Dad. Big hugs to you . Keep strong .