Advice needed please!

Old May 24th 2009, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

expatclare is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Advice needed please!

Hi everyone!

This is my first post but I have been reading through the forum and it has been really helpful so far. I'm just wondering if anyone can offer some advice for my situation..? I have been working for an Australian company part time for the last six months whilst on a student visa and they wanted to sponsor me to stay in Oz but due to the current economy they have been unable to do so. They also have some offices in NZ, and may be able to offer me a job as an Office Manager or similar.

I have checked out the immigration website and see that Office Manager is a skilled occupation, however I haven't previously worked as a manager. I have five years experience in my industry (travel) and am just about to complete an Australian Diploma in Business Management. I am 24 so would get points for my age too. Would this be sufficient to lodge an EOI for PR, or would I be better off getting a WHV to gain experience working as a manager first?

I would really appreciate any advice!! Thanks
Old May 25th 2009, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Advice needed please!

Can anyone help? Am I clutching at straws?
Old May 26th 2009, 2:06 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I'll try and help.
For permanent residency ie the EOI route you would need to get 100 points or over to go into the pool to start with. A job offer is 50 points and you may get extra if the job will be outside the Auckland area. You get 30 for your age so definitely 80 points to start with. If you haven't worked in skilled employment previously then that would not count towards your points total so it depends on what you were doing beforehand.
Your diploma may score you points but you need to look under recognised qualifications on the NZIS website to check whether it is on there-if not then it would need assessing by NZQA. If your diploma counts towards points then you will have over the magic 100 and can submit your EOI. With a job offer you will go through the system a lot faster as well.
Obviously you can still go via the WHV route since you are young enough and you would then gain extra points for work experience gained if you apply for PR later on. You could also consider a temporary work visa but your employers would need to show that no Kiwis were available to do your job and as you have not worked as an office manager then that may be difficult to get through the system
Hope this helps
Sue
Old May 26th 2009, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Hi Sue - thanks for your reply!

I was just worried as I haven't worked in a managerial role before, I wasn't sure if I would be able to apply for PR, but it looks like I may get enough points from the job offer, qualification etc..to get into the pool at least!
Lots to think about - thanks again for your help!