Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on partnership visa application

Advice needed on partnership visa application

Old May 5th 2016, 9:22 am
Just Joined

MinusZ3R0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed on partnership visa application

Hey everyone,

My partner and I are planning on moving to NZ in October, (we had originally bought tickets for a holiday, but decided to make it permanent). We are applying for a partnership visa for her as I am already a New Zealand citizen and will be the one supporting her application.

The only problem I can see is if they are strict on the required evidence to show you are in a stable relationship. Come June we will have been together for a year, and I almost immediatley on meeting her moved in with her. So we kind of just barely make the requirements that I have read on the INZ website.

To get to the point of the post, she has passed her medical, neither of us are criminals, so is there anything we can do to help improve our evidence to show we are in a genuine and stable relationship? We are panicing a little because we aren't one of these couples that spam selfies together on social media etc so even though we are one of the most staple couples I know, it doesn't look good from the outside looking in heh!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks =]
Old May 5th 2016, 10:39 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed on partnership visa application

they will require lots of evidence that you do live as one unit. so joint bills or bills in individual names to the same address, cover 12mths, holiday bookings together, joint invites, any chat conversations, council tax with both names on, pictures. evidence must cover 12ths as this is the minimum requirement.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
they will require lots of evidence that you do live as one unit. so joint bills or bills in individual names to the same address, cover 12mths, holiday bookings together, joint invites, any chat conversations, council tax with both names on, pictures. evidence must cover 12ths as this is the minimum requirement.
This is my problem precisely due to the nature of living and renting in London. When we first got together I moved in to where she was renting, all bills included and I just transferred her money for rent. Then we moved somewhere else together, and we paid the person who was also living there directly, again, all bills included. So essentially we have only got records of bank transfers to whomever we were paying rent to at the time.

Also for the six months leading up to us leaving we have moved back into my mothers house in order for us to save as much money as possible. We recently opened a joint bank account, we have chat logs dating back to when we first met, we have pictures of us doing a few things throughout the year.

It is litterally proving we have lived together is going to difficult because of the nature of how renting in London works when you're not earning bucket loads of cash.

Thanks for the reply btw
Old May 5th 2016, 7:58 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

did you not put your name on for the council tax ? if the transfer to her states rent on the bank statement that might be enough (?) or council tax if you declared where you were living. Or any mail to both of you at the same address.

the only option that I can think of is that you both come over, OH on a visitors visa for 6mth, she would have to have an outbound flight or she will not be able to board the plane, and make sure you can prove the relationship as required by immigration if those 6mths take you over the 12 required. Or does she have a skill required in NZ that she could get over 140 points required for a visa?. Or maybe she could uplift a working holiday visa to get her over then again gather the required information. on the WHV least she would be able to work whereas on the visitors visa she would not.
Old May 8th 2016, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

james01708 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MinusZ3R0,

I understand your stress, when I applied for partnership visa we provided enough evidence to get the visa completed last month with no issues.

I was in a similar situation as yourself, concerning living with my partner. The evidence I provided was extensive as possible.

Concerning proof of address, I provided all the letters we both received every month, this was bank statements, doctor notes etc. We were registered to vote, I kept all of our voting cards and added this in as well.

To prove our relationship we also provided letters from friends and family that confirmed our relationship. Our flatmates also wrote a letter stating they had lived with us for an extended period of time. If you can get you landlord etc to write a letter that will help.

For more evidence on our relationship, I included screens shots of our Facebook accounts, Whatsapp messages and any emails, texts between my partners friends/ family.

The last bit of advice, we had joint bank account and provided statements of every month showing all transactions between us.

I hope this helps.

James
Old May 9th 2016, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by james01708
Hi MinusZ3R0,

I understand your stress, when I applied for partnership visa we provided enough evidence to get the visa completed last month with no issues.

I was in a similar situation as yourself, concerning living with my partner. The evidence I provided was extensive as possible.

Concerning proof of address, I provided all the letters we both received every month, this was bank statements, doctor notes etc. We were registered to vote, I kept all of our voting cards and added this in as well.

To prove our relationship we also provided letters from friends and family that confirmed our relationship. Our flatmates also wrote a letter stating they had lived with us for an extended period of time. If you can get you landlord etc to write a letter that will help.

For more evidence on our relationship, I included screens shots of our Facebook accounts, Whatsapp messages and any emails, texts between my partners friends/ family.

The last bit of advice, we had joint bank account and provided statements of every month showing all transactions between us.

I hope this helps.

James
This is really helpful cheers mate. Good to hear from someone in a similar predicament

We have only limited amount of letters to the first address we lived in, a few more for the second, and none for the third (so far, but they are coming)

We were discussing getting friends and/or family to write letters stating we have been in a relationship. Even thinking about getting her sisters father in law who is a priest that married them to write a letter saying he knows us and that we are a good couple... Who better to judge than a priest right? haha

We opened a joint account about a month ago (end of March I think) so it isn't going to have a lot of transactions on it just yet. Also like I said before we aren't all that into social media so our posts/pics together on facebook etc are limited.

Hopefully we can scrape together enough evidence.

Thanks again for all the advice guys, appreciate it. Can't wait to get it all sorted and get out there. This is only the half of it, we are bringing a dog as well and that is turning out to be a nightmare in itself :O
Old May 9th 2016, 9:11 am

I see you mention bringing a dog. You need to look onto the time frame for this as they have to have certain injections and I think one of them takes 6mths to process. have a read through these posts

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...et-dog-876064/

inside that thread there is more threads listed
Old May 12th 2016, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Yeah we have got everything sorted about the dog, the plan is in place and are on track to getting the EHC for her to travel. It is just the cost is like :O I did check out the thread though there is some good info there thanks.

So it is now a case of getting as much as we can to prove the legitimacy of our relationship. Just want to be there now tbh...
Old Sep 15th 2016, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Jpearson92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
My immigration advisory has stated that it is 6 months minimum?
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jpearson92
My immigration advisory has stated that it is 6 months minimum?
then your immigration advisor is incorrect.

"You must supply evidence of your relationship to any family members who are included
in your application.
Definition of partner
A partner may either legally married, or in a civil union, or in a de facto partnership (whether opposite
or same sex)
You can include your partner in your application, but for your partner to be approved residence you
must provide evidence that you have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship for
at least 12 months and meet other requirements for your partnership to be recognised."

wonder what else they have told you incorrectly?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Sep 16th 2016 at 9:17 am.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Almost forgot about this thread.

If anyone is at all interested, my partner and I will be finding out in the next 6 weeks the final decision on her residential visa fingers crossed aye!
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:59 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MinusZ3R0
Almost forgot about this thread.

If anyone is at all interested, my partner and I will be finding out in the next 6 weeks the final decision on her residential visa fingers crossed aye!
Good luck, hope it all turns out 'sweet as' for you.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who answered my queries and gave me advice on this thread.

This Friday just gone we got the confirmation that my partner (now Fiancée) is now a New Zealand resident and can live and work in the country!!! Just in the nick of time too as we are flying out on the 23rd of this month! SIX DAYS TO GO!!

Everything else is sorted so just waiting for the day to come now. See you all soon
Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:44 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Nice. You're coming in the late Spring in NZ with the Summer in prospect.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Yeah looking forward to it. My other family who are already in NZ are all looking forward to is coming now as well!

Allocated the first 4 weeks as holiday time before we settle down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.