British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Advice needed... my application could be declined or get WTR? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-needed-my-application-could-declined-get-wtr-714006/)

celeliza Apr 20th 2011 9:55 am

Advice needed... my application could be declined or get WTR?

Hi,

Yesterday I received a letter from my Case Officer that they have completed the first assessment. They said I don’t meet the requirements and criteria for current skilled employment and I could lose the points (150 to 100 points) as I'm not in a permanent role. However, they have assessed me as being eligible for the following points at this time:

Age - 25pts
Recognised qualification - 50pts
Work experience - 30 pts
NZ work experience (1 year) – 5 pts
110 points allocated

I have been in my current job for over a year now and my contract expires at the end of June 2011 so I'm not sure if I would have a chance with the adjusted points of 110 points above?? I have been trying hard with job interviews for permanent roles but have been unsuccessful.

They have invited me to make comments or provide further information in response to their concerns. I have 2 weeks to submit this and if I don’t, my application could be declined.

What kind of information should I be providing? It mentions about “employability and capacity building requirements” and “settlement and contribution requirements”.

Has anyone been in this similar situation before? I’m really stuck and confused as I don’t want to be declined. I’d rather have WTR and have more time to get my job situation sorted out.

Thanks.
Claire

Persephone Apr 20th 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Advice needed... my application could be declined or get WTR?

I take it there isn't any chance your current job could keep you on and offer you a permanent role. Are you on a work visa?
It sounds like your EOI will go back into the pool but unfortunately there is very little chance of you being selected with 110pts given that you don't have any points for work experience on the long term skills shortage list.
See this: History of Selection Points
Is your profession in either of the skills shortages lists, I assume it's not on the LTSSL? If it is on the immediate list though you could apply for a work visa which is temporary but would give you more time. If you could find an accredited employer then you could apply for a WTR visa.

I'm not sure what extra evidence you could give as without a job offer then your points total cannot be increased. The only things you could mention is how settled your life is here [do you own a house for example] but without a permanent job then I'm not sure that that would make any difference. Sorry

celeliza Apr 27th 2011 12:12 am

My employer is going through a “recruitment freeze” – that’s why they have given me a contract extension to keep me on until everything is finalised and hopefully they will make me a permanent offer. My boss already knows I’m interested in staying on permanently so ball’s in his court. Plus, I have put him in the picture now my case officer has been in touch. My CO cannot accept potential job offers.

I am currently on an open work permit until Nov 2011 (my kiwi partner sponsored me) so am free to work anywhere. I have been shortlisted for several job interviews recently and unfortunately have been unsuccessful. It’s soooo hard for me and I’m doing the best I can.

I have asked my CO if I could request an extension for providing more information and feedback. I just have to send him an email with reasons.

I will also do a supporting statement about settling in NZ as I have a lot of positive points which might help my application. I have been here almost 2 years… I have been to NZ twice prior living here and travelled all over… I am now happily in a serious relationship with my kiwi partner – who is more worried I would have to leave the country... I also have Aunts/Uncles/Cousins and lots of connections who emigrated here.

It’s so worrying but I’m trying to take one day at a time… I cannot keep pushing my boss.

Will wait and see….

Persephone Apr 28th 2011 2:49 am

I assume you haven't lived with your kiwi partner for 12m as yet or you could apply for residency under partnership.
When will the 12m be up? Could you hang on till then and then apply?
Not sure how quickly partnership applications are assessed

celeliza Apr 28th 2011 2:57 am

Bit of update...

My boss told me this morning that he has been in touch with the Immigration and will speed things up with HR up to make the job permanent offer to me. Hopefully I will get confirmation in order to send information to my CO within a deadline. It's now looking more promising!

I have thought about the residence under residence... I would have to wait until August when I would have been living with him for a year.

Persephone Apr 28th 2011 3:12 am

Good luck with the job offer, hope it all turns out ok.
I suppose residence under partnership could be an option then if you end up needing to go down that track so you have another possibility if this one doesn't work out. Depends how long those applications take. Not meaning to sound pessimistic there!