Advice?? Job offer or not?

Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:46 am
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all
Cool Advice?? Job offer or not?

Hey,

Looking for a bit of advice as we are unsure what to do re our situation.

Hubby works in IT and with his qualifications and our age we have only 95 points on for the EOI None of my qualifications get any points on the EOI!!!

We have 2 options...

1. Hubby gets a job offer, which would give us 160 points for our EOI.
2. I go back to uni and study for another year (maybe 2) to give us 115 on the EOI.

Not sure whats the best way to go, as i am unsure if many employers give job offers to immigrants before they have submitted their EOI.

On the flip side, he was offered an interview with telcom in Wellington. Although i am not sure how forthcoming they are with job offers!

If i was to go and study, would 115 points be enough to be selected from the pool??? Cos even that is quite low!!

So... any advice would be appreciated to help us decide whats best to do!!!!

Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice?? Job offer or not?

Hi

115 points is relatively low unless you are claiming bonus points. EOI's including bonus points have been selected with just 100 points. So if your EOI includes any bonus points then 115 would probably get you selected pretty quickly. without bonus points, you may be selected, but it could take a while. I think only a few times last year did they get round to selecting people without any bonus points who had lower points. So if your qualification gives you bonus points then maybe that is a route to go down because in this current state of financial crisis around the world, maybe holding off another year to two could be a wise idea.

BUt . . if you got offered a job, then that takes away the problem. Lots of people have been offered jobs at the EOI stage and the companies have been willing to wait a few months to get PR or WTR visa sorted out. You may be one of the lucky ones!! it doesn't happen to everyone but fingers crossed.

Good luck for interview. Hope it goes well.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:38 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It depends on what you would be studying, presumably something on the long termskill shortage list as that would get you selected pretty quickly. As Getmethere says if it wasn't on that list then you would probably hang around in the pool for quite a long time. They usually get round to picking out those with a qual on the LTSSL most draws
Or you keep looking for a job which would be a lot faster and would also mean you'd start life over here with a wage coming into the household.
It all depends on how easy it is for your husband to get a job from the UK I suppose and also how keen you are on retraining! If it's something you have always wanted to do as opposed to doing just to get to NZ?
Hope the interview goes ok and hubby gets the job
Good luck
Sue
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:44 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Hey all, thx for replying

I think it might be worthwhile doing both!!!

If i go back and study for a year, then it can only help us in NZ...

Hubby is still gonna go over and meet with the guy in Telcom, and hes gonna try to set up some other meetings too, so hopefully, he will impress them enough for them to consider him for a position!!!

If we get the extra points then they will be bonus points, so even if hubby didnt get a job offer, we would hopefully get picked eventually.

So thx guys,