British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Advice on failed medicals please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-failed-medicals-please-409982/)

mardybum Nov 25th 2006 4:10 am

Advice on failed medicals please

A good friend of mine, whose partner is in New Zealand on a working visa at the moment, has failed her medical as she has polycystic ovarian syndrome. They discovered shortly after she failed the meds that it was the contraceptive pill that was aggravating the condition, therefore she stopped it. It may be a long-term illness but does not affect her day-to-day health nor does it stop her from working. It is easily controllable with medication.
When she went to get a working visa for herself this week, it was refused and they said they will be contacting her within 2 to 6 weeks with the results.
Both are very upset, naturally. Emigrating to NZ has been their dream, and they have worked long and hard to go there. Her partner feels very down and is ready to give up soon.
Does anyone have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

danny.f Nov 25th 2006 4:16 am

Re: Advice on failed medicals please

Originally Posted by mardybum
A good friend of mine, whose partner is in New Zealand on a working visa at the moment, has failed her medical as she has polycystic ovarian syndrome. They discovered shortly after she failed the meds that it was the contraceptive pill that was aggravating the condition, therefore she stopped it. It may be a long-term illness but does not affect her day-to-day health nor does it stop her from working. It is easily controllable with medication.
When she went to get a working visa for herself this week, it was refused and they said they will be contacting her within 2 to 6 weeks with the results.
Both are very upset, naturally. Emigrating to NZ has been their dream, and they have worked long and hard to go there. Her partner feels very down and is ready to give up soon.

Am really sorry to hear that. I know nothing about the possibilities,or any outcome-just sorry for them. Good luck.

Gill and Rob Nov 25th 2006 9:25 am

Hello
Have sent a PM
Gill

mapler Nov 25th 2006 1:19 pm

I have the same condition and I am now really scared about failing my medicals as well. I hope your friend gets a waiver. It would help to know which test result(s) diagnosed the condition. I had to change 5 docs before I was diagnosed with PCOS.
It's unbelievable your friend was refused the visa because of PCOS!!! Simple diet and exercise can control the condition.

I look forward to knowing more about how it was diagnosed.

thanks

Alifox Nov 29th 2006 9:02 am

Dont tell us this as I've got PCOS too :scared: As a nurse though, and someone with it, I cant for the life of me understand why this would be an issue. My understanding was that the point of the medicals was to check for serious or chronic long term conditions needing lots of treatment.
Personally, I only take the pill, and try to watch my weight- my BMI is raised, but thought that this would just warrant extra blood tests at the medical. PCOS only affects me in that without the pill I only have about 3-4 period a year -sorry if TMI!, and that sometimes my alter-ego "Harriet-Hormone" give my hubby lots of flack :D
If I was told that I couldn't go to NZ just 'coz of PCOS, I would definitely fight the case, as it would not cause a drain on the health service. :mad:

Alifox Nov 29th 2006 9:19 am

just read my copy of NZIS form 1121 on medicals, and cant see anywhere where PCOS could be seen as a problem. I would strongly fight the case with the Doctor if they were being arsy!!! Some Dr's still think they are God, but when important decisions like whether to pass/ fail someone's chances of a new life, you got to stick to your guns guys! :mad: Quite often we have to tell Dr's how to do things coz they haven't got a clue- it's a good job us Brit Nurses are so good! :D

mapler Nov 29th 2006 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Alifox
just read my copy of NZIS form 1121 on medicals, and cant see anywhere where PCOS could be seen as a problem. I would strongly fight the case with the Doctor if they were being arsy!!! Some Dr's still think they are God, but when important decisions like whether to pass/ fail someone's chances of a new life, you got to stick to your guns guys! :mad: Quite often we have to tell Dr's how to do things coz they haven't got a clue- it's a good job us Brit Nurses are so good! :D

Yeah. Alright! I too am determined to fight if it were to come to that. Thanks for the encouragement your words offer. :)

mardybum Nov 29th 2006 11:53 pm

:)

Originally Posted by Alifox
Dont tell us this as I've got PCOS too :scared: As a nurse though, and someone with it, I cant for the life of me understand why this would be an issue. My understanding was that the point of the medicals was to check for serious or chronic long term conditions needing lots of treatment.
Personally, I only take the pill, and try to watch my weight- my BMI is raised, but thought that this would just warrant extra blood tests at the medical. PCOS only affects me in that without the pill I only have about 3-4 period a year -sorry if TMI!, and that sometimes my alter-ego "Harriet-Hormone" give my hubby lots of flack :D
If I was told that I couldn't go to NZ just 'coz of PCOS, I would definitely fight the case, as it would not cause a drain on the health service. :mad:

Girls,
I am really sorry if by posting this query I have caused any worry or upset to you.
Judging by the responses I have had off this forum (and others), there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
I have to add that my mate has had other complications in the past, so I reckon they are looking at the whole picture.
Anyways... this was only discovered after failing the medical first time round because she had a huge cyst on one of her ovaries. That's resolved now. We are still waiting to hear from immigration but I promise to let you know the outcome once it's through.
Cheers to everyone who replied though - I have been sending them on to my friend, and they have really cheered her up. No one seems to think she will be denied her visa so please don't stress!
Will keep you posted :)

mapler Nov 30th 2006 9:24 am

:)

Girls,
I am really sorry if by posting this query I have caused any worry or upset to you.
Judging by the responses I have had off this forum (and others), there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
I have to add that my mate has had other complications in the past, so I reckon they are looking at the whole picture.
Anyways... this was only discovered after failing the medical first time round because she had a huge cyst on one of her ovaries. That's resolved now. We are still waiting to hear from immigration but I promise to let you know the outcome once it's through.
Cheers to everyone who replied though - I have been sending them on to my friend, and they have really cheered her up. No one seems to think she will be denied her visa so please don't stress!
Will keep you posted :)

Absolutely not. It's good you posted it. Now we know and can be prepared to deal with the medicals. Thank you for posting actually. All the best to your friend and I hope she makes it through.

Gill and Rob Nov 30th 2006 9:26 am

I think this is a lesson to everyone. Please, if you have a medical question, give all the details as "half information" causes a lots of worry to other posters.
I hope everything goes well for the lady involved with the original post.
And yes you can get a visa with PCOS.
Cheers
Gill

mardybum Dec 8th 2006 10:21 pm

Just an update of the outcome of this problem... It's good news, she got the visa yesterday!! Yay!! :D
Just as you all said, there was nothing to worry about, and I think your positive messages that I passed on to my mate kept her going and thinking positively. Cheers :beer: