advice for electrician

Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:05 pm
the haywards

samandjustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice for electrician

hi all

We're just starting the climb up the immigration mountain, and are already finding the going a bit tricky!

OH is a fully qualified spark. He has 20 years experience as an electrician, and (I think) his trade is on the skills shortage list, if I read the info right. He has City and Guilds quals, and we have been told that he should have no problem finding work in nz.

We did post another request for advice on this site, but think I may have stuck it on wrong page (oops), but basically, we need help in finding out how he goes about registering in nz. Does any one know if he needs to take further exams, and if they can be taken in uk?

If there are any other sparks out there please could you let us know how you got on.

ps we are looking at area up to half an hours drive away from Christchurch, but not too remote (have 2 kids and need schools, friends, etc) Ant advice welcome.

Thank you for looking

Sam
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: advice for electrician

Hi guys . I think Wiz n Ton are the people that will be able to help you with this.

I do know that there is some sort of health and safety test you have to do & that it can be done in the UK at NZ house.

Not sure about the rest. They will be able to tell you though

I do have this bit of info which I saved for a UK sparky pal of ours after seeing it posted elsewhere.

The NZ electrician registration process is:-
1. Submit your City & Guilds (and/or other as applicable) qualifications and a VERY COMPREHENSIVE resume' of your work experience to the Electrical Workers Registration Board (EWRB) The address is PO Box 10156 Wellington, New Zealand – attention Mr. Paul McGrail.

More details can be found at www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/ or at www.ewrb.govt.nz. References from employers (i.e. an electrical supervisor or manager) or electrical inspectors (if you are self employed) must be included, to verify your work experience.

If your qualifications are deemed appropriate you will be exempt the NZ (level 4) electrical theory exam. If not, you may complete the theory training in NZ, BUT this may affect your residency application from the UK.

Your work experience is needed to confirm you have sufficient experience to comply with the requirements for obtaining a NZ Electrician Practising Licence. NOTE - work experience is best documented covering similar information to that shown in Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations Compilation 2003 – (see attached document). Further information on the Regulations can be found at - www.ess.govt.nz (the Energy Safety Services) web site. The required information can be downloaded free of charge.

2. Complete a provisional licence application, which requires the following:-

- A prospective employer in NZ who can sign the Supervision guidelines section of the application

- "Safety tuition training": - a series of one-day courses will be available (in conjunction with NZIS - London) during the year.

- Obtain a copy of the Supervision Guidelines and sign a declaration stating you have read, understood and will comply with the requirements. (I provide this during the training courses)

3. Once 1 & 2 above are completed, and you are in NZ working under your provisional licence, you will need to complete the practical assessment (called stage 3 practical) and the NZ electrical regulations exam. The exams are run in June and November of each year. Course work, including the practical assessment can be done at night school (Polytech) or on block courses.

After all that, you can apply for Registration and a Practising Licence as an electrician. There a few "fish-hooks", such as the provisional licence is only valid for 12 months from the date of issue and it may take longer than that to arrange to move to NZ. The (very helpful) NZIS people and the EWRB can supply more information.

...as I said though, Wiz and Ton are the folk that may be best able to help with this.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:00 am
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road

Sam, my hubby passed his City & Guilds last year and by the time we go to NZ he will have only had nearly 2 years experience - which I don't think bodes well for the equivalency test (or whatever it's called).

This is a great post and just the info I need. I can get him working on looking at this, while we do all of our paper work and get bits together.

We are going to be living in Auckland.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:12 am
`

I also found this from times past.

Again - I am not sure how relevant it is for todays. sparky. It's a couple of years old.

Re: how to register as an electrician.

1. A 3 day course for the practical and this involves everything, motors starters, forming pvc conduit, wiring relays etc. somewhere in the region of $400
2. CPR course $70
3. The dreaded regs, he will need the reference books if he doesnt have them or know anyone with them he will have to sit the regs exam cost $80 this is if he is a resident.this is a 3 hour exam.
He can get a job with a years provisional license as long as he has a cpr cert and has passed the practical they will issue him with the temp license.
On top of all this they will need his qualifications which have to be up to city&guilds 1 and 2 and he has to provide certs and also provide proof of experience even down to the wiring.
If he is not up to the EWRB standard he will have to sit a theory exam also on top of all this.
www.ewrb.govt.nz has all the necessary. Exams for regs are twice a year next one being june tell him good luck.

-----

GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND

1. Electrician Registration

1.1 List of Common Certificates

City and Guilds of London Institute - Level 2 Certificate
*Ordinary or Higher National Certificate in Electrical Engineering
*City and Guilds Full Technological Certificate
*City and Guilds Electrician's Certificate
*City and Guilds Electrical Technician's Part 1 Certificate
*City and Guilds Electrical Technicians Part 2 Certificate in Electrical Power Equipment
*City and Guilds Electrical and Electronic Craft Studies Part 2
*City and Guilds Electrical Installation Course 2360 Part 2
*City and Guilds Certificate in Electrical Installation Competencies
*Northern Counties T.E.C Electrical Technicians 2nd Year Certificate
*Welsh Joint Education Committee Electrical Engineering Technicians Part 1 Certificate
*Welsh Joint Education Committee Electrical Technicians Certificate 2nd Year (Intermediate)
*Scottish Technical Educational Council Higher Certificate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
*BTEC (or TEC) Certificates:
National Certificate in Electrical Engineering
Higher National Certificate in Electrical Engineering
Diploma in Electrical Engineering
Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering
any of these must have a pass in the following subjects:
- Stage II - Electrical and Electronic Applications, or Electrical or Electronic Principles.
- Stage III - Heavy Current Electrical Applications
*BTEC National Certificate in Mining Engineering (Mining and Electrical)
*Scotvec (Scottish Vocational Education Council) Higher Certificate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering

The following certificates are not now issued but are still acceptable:

*City and Guilds Intermediate Grade Electrical Engineering Practice AC and DC
*City and Guilds Final Grade Electrical Engineering Practice Parts 1 and 2
*City and Guilds Electrical Installation Work Courses "B" or "C" Certificate
*City and Guilds Intermediate Electrical Technicians Certificate
*City and Guilds Colliery Electrician Craft Certificate.
*City and Guilds Certificate in Electrical Installation Work
*City and Guilds Installation Work Certificate B and C (scheme 236)
*City and Guilds Certificate Part 2, Certificate in Electrical Installation Work

* Listed in Schedule 6 to the Electricity Regulations 1997

1.1.1 Equivalence to New Zealand Requirements

Any certificate exempts the holder from the 3rd stage theory examination requirements.

1.1.2 Registration Requirements

The holder of a certificate must:

(a) Pass the 3rd stage practical assessment or examination.

(b) Pass the regulations examination.

(c) Have documents that show 4 years work experience on (the equivalent of) prescribed electrical work that incorporates the skills in paragraph 1(2) of Clause 1 of Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations 1997. The experience can include the period of apprenticeship or training.

(d) Complete the safety instruction requirements of Clause 3 of Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations 1997.

1.2 Craftsman Certificate

1.2.1 Description

This certificate is evidence of completion of a training programme prescribed by any approved Industry Training Board. This includes the training for the City and Guilds of London Institute - Level 2 Certificate or equivalent.

1.2.2 Equivalence to New Zealand Requirements

This certificate:

(a) Exempts the holder from the 3rd stage theory examination requirements.

(b) Is evidence of the completion of 4 years work experience that has incorporated the skills in paragraph 1(2) of Clause 1 of Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations 1997 where the period of the training programme was 4 or more years.

1.2.3 Registration Requirements

The holder of this certificate must:

(a) Pass the 3rd stage practical assessment or examination.

(b) Pass the regulations examination.

(c) Where the period of the training programme was less than 4 years, have documents that together with the Craftsman Certificate show, at least, 4 years work experience on (the equivalent of) prescribed electrical work.

(d) Complete the safety instruction requirements of Clause 3 of Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations 1997.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:23 am
UK, NZ and SA User

Cheers muchly BEVs
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:24 pm
the haywards

Thank you for your advice. I will follow up contact addresses as suggested. It does seem like a juggling act between getting a job offer and getting a licence, and we have been applying to recruitment agencies in nz as well. Obviously people will want to interview OH before giving offer of employment, so we may consider travelling out on a temporary visa first before applying for PR.

Will OH still be able to work on a temporary visa? I thought that there was an age limit on this (OH is 36)?

Thanks for your help though. Will keep you posted, and good luck leaseuk. I think that 4 years experience is the preferred minimum. Did your husband not do an apprenticeship in conjunction with city and guilds, as this counts towards exprience I think. If not, he should be able to work as an apprentice in nz, although wages will be lower. I will keep you posted as to how we get on!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:50 pm
`

The only way your husband can work in NZ is if NZIS issue a work visa / permit.

It's called a visa when still in the UK and a permit when in NZ. You can apply for a two year work visa and once here put in an EOI . Expression of Interest to become Permanent Residents. Saying that, if you secure a job offer, I would ditched the work visa and go straight for EOI, especially if you have 140 points.

We initially came over with a two year work visa. Husbands age was 44yr. Is a plumber.

You could travel out on a visitors visa, obtain a job offer and apply for a work permit. Some have arrived in NZ , liked what they have seen, found a job and applied for the permit.

It may be possible for you to obtain a job offer without coming to NZ. Sparkies are in demand. It's chancing your arm a bit as you wouldn't know the employer any more than they would know you.
Also , you could look up the list of acredited employers and see if any need a sparky or two.
---------------------------

something else I have found in my old documents about registrations....... although please remember this stuff is not current.

There used to be a course run at NZ house London for sparkies. It was the health and safety course required for a provisional licence to be issued. It used to be run by a Nick Chandler who would make the trip to the UK a couple of times a year.

You may want to contact both the Electrical Board here in NZ and NZIS London to enquire about this course.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 25th 2007 at 10:33 pm. Reason: edited to add about H&S course.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there from melbourne, now then there are a couple of people on this forum who are very helpful, one is Stev'o the other is Wendy, and myself we try to provide assistance to sparkies then the rest is up to you.

OK you will find no info in the UK regarding extra exams in australia for registration However, when you & hubby are here regardless of which state you reside in you must obtain the A class electrical license to work Unsupervised its as simple as that, you can have all the qualifications in the world and they mean nothing at all, the best you will get in a australian license is a Supervised license.

What does that mean well even if hubby has 20 odd years experience he would be able to connect any wiring at all, (sockets. lights) and the rest.

As for employment some companies will take him on but at a reduced rate until he gets the license, why would a company employ a person who's work must be checked all the time.

So where does this leave hubby you may say, he will have to get his TRA then get his arse to the local tafe (college in uk) when your here in australia.
Do a 12 week evening course (we are takling victoria) then sit the blasted exams, mixture of practical, fault finding, disconnect reconnect theory exams, faults board its very painful indeed & stressful.

But thats in victoria, now then i mentioned a lady on here Wendy, she is from South Australia in that state they do the exams different, much more easier than Victoria, thank god for wendy some may say, & i say that because she helps people with direct facts. You will also find Stev'o very helpful.

we are here to provide assistance, why you may say because we have been through it all ourself, & its a nightmare for people. you may call us the Three Musketeers.?? but thats what you must do, i know it may feel like jumping through hoops but thats their system.

after all the evening course is well worth it all for the Knowlidge, i would recommend any spark to familiarize Themself with the MEN earthing system in australia, its all very different from the UK earthing system.

regards

arthur.

if you need help ask us
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:26 am
`

Yo guys.
Great posts and help about sparkies wanting to go to Oz but i think these two posters want to come here to NZ.

Have you anything about taking the H&S course at NZ house London so they can gain their provisional licenses.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:40 am
the haywards

yup, you're right. Very helpful about oz, but we want to know about nz!

Have followed up some of the contacts kindly suggested, and got a hugely helpful bit of info from Electrical Workers Registration Board (EWRB). Basically, they can e-mail you a copy of a form that you need to complete and send them (their e-mail address is ww.ewrb.govt.nz) along with certifed copies of your certificates and a certified copy of a detailed reference from employer. They will tell you what info they need included in this reference. You then send this all to them.

There is no fee, and they will reply to you between 6 to 8 weeks later, and tell you what you need to do in order to become registered in nz!

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:06 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samandjustin
yup, you're right. Very helpful about oz, but we want to know about nz!

Have followed up some of the contacts kindly suggested, and got a hugely helpful bit of info from Electrical Workers Registration Board (EWRB). Basically, they can e-mail you a copy of a form that you need to complete and send them (their e-mail address is ww.ewrb.govt.nz) along with certifed copies of your certificates and a certified copy of a detailed reference from employer. They will tell you what info they need included in this reference. You then send this all to them.

There is no fee, and they will reply to you between 6 to 8 weeks later, and tell you what you need to do in order to become registered in nz!

Hope this helps.
That sounds like good news for you guys
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:38 am
UK, NZ and SA User

Cool. I'll get onto them. Cheers muchly

Lise
Old Mar 6th 2007, 9:50 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

OH received this in an email today from DOL (Department of Labour). I wondered whether it is of any use to you????

Dear Applicant,

Please find the following news item that might be of interest to you. It can also be viewed on our local website www.immigration.govt.nz/london under News Items:

Electrical Safety Tuition Courses for NZ Registration

Nick Chandler of Chandler Consulting Limited will be returning to London during the week of 29th May to run more electrical safety tuition courses. The one-day courses will begin on Tuesday 29th May and run until Friday 1st June.

Safety tuition courses run for approximately 8 hours and are required for electricians, electrical, electronic and refrigeration service persons, line mechanics and cable jointers who wish to obtain a New Zealand Electrical Provisional Licence and who are applying for residency.

Course Content:
Introduction
Briefing on New Zealand Electricity Regulations and Electricity Supply Systems (TNCS multiple earthed neutral)
Requirements for Provisional Licences and for obtaining an Electrical Practising Licence
Supervision Guidelines for Provisional Licences (and completion of documentation)
Safe Work Practices (relevant to electrical work)
Basic First Aid (relevant to electrical work)
CPR (Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation)
Testing to Ensure Safety (including electrical certificate of compliance)
Issue of Certificates (Electrical Workers Registration Board Safety Training Card EWLG 632 & 632A)
General information and questions (as required)
A CD containing the current versions of the Electricity Act, Electricity Regulations, and Codes of practice, previous exam papers and other documentation will be supplied.

Further information can be obtained from Nick, via email - [email protected]

Your contact details have not been shared with Chandler Consulting so please contact them directly if you wish to attend the training course.

Please do not respond to INZ regarding this email.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

"The information contained in this document is intended only for the addressee and is not necessarily the views nor the official communication of the Department of Labour. All final/official papers which are sent from the Department will be sent by non-electronic means, on appropriate letterhead, signed by authorised personnel."
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:17 am
UK, NZ and SA User

Fabulous - just what we need. Cheers Kev&Sarah!!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:37 pm
the haywards

Thank you.

I have just sent e-mail to nick chandler. I think this is the course that OH will need to take. This could be helpful. Will let you know, Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.