advice about work and cost of living

Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile advice about work and cost of living

Hi all, new member here. My OH and I have completed EOI, wondering what the real job situation in Auckland area is like for Electricians and what sort of pay himself could expect. Is cost of living generally cheaper? We have a 10 year old daughter, are schools good? We are heading for Browns Bay area of Auckland (eventually!!) Thanks in hope of good replies!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

jack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nice
Default Re: advice about work and cost of living

Originally Posted by bevissa65 View Post
Hi all, new member here. My OH and I have completed EOI, wondering what the real job situation in Auckland area is like for Electricians and what sort of pay himself could expect. Is cost of living generally cheaper? We have a 10 year old daughter, are schools good? We are heading for Browns Bay area of Auckland (eventually!!) Thanks in hope of good replies!!
Hi
I visited NZ last Christmas (2007) and Browns Bay is lovely, if you go to www.careers.co.nz you will get an idea about wages, my OH is a builder and he would be looking at about 38,000 dollars, much less that here, however, the cost of living is lower all though not that much. Things like petrol, rates, electricity and gas are less, but food and home appliances seemed to be around the same. One of the things i noticed is you don't have to spend a fortune to have a good family day out like you do here.

We have just had our telephone interview this morning and hopefully will have a decision early next week.

Jackie
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: advice about work and cost of living

Thanks for that. I have job offer but as himself didn't complete City & Guilds (pub was more fun!!) he has to sit exams when we get there. Good luck with your applicaton!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Denise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to all

Hi Bev

Just to hi-jack your thread briefly. My husband is an electrician too and he has just sent of his details to the Electricial Workers Registration Board for assesment and hopefully his provisional licence.

Did your husband go through this process and did it take long?

Denise
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: advice about work and cost of living

Hi, no because the idiot found the pub more interesting than his City & Guilds part 2! So in spite of having 30 years experience I think he has to sit exams when we get there before being able to register. Luckily we are going under my name!! Where are you heading for and when? Bevissa65
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Denise44 View Post
Hi Bev

Just to hi-jack your thread briefly. My husband is an electrician too and he has just sent of his details to the Electricial Workers Registration Board for assesment and hopefully his provisional licence.

Did your husband go through this process and did it take long?

Denise
My hubby is also an electrician and we have been granted a WTR visa- soon to expire The EWRB took about 6 weeks to assess hubbys skill and the the reply will state what exams will need to be taken to gain registration. For getting a provisional licence he will need to sit a heath and saftey day, can be done here or in NZ(cheaper in NZ) and have a job offer.
Good luck with it all, when did you send docs off?
Chris