British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   accredited employer visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/accredited-employer-visa-838777/)

sghall Jul 15th 2014 11:51 am

accredited employer visa

Looking for some advice! Hubby has been offered a job with VTNZ accredited employer, job offer is open for three months for us to get over. We were keen to go down the skilled migrant route but looks like we won't be able to. We would like to have the security of residency but how soon after we are in the country can we apply for residency or do we have to wait the 2 yrs? Has anybody had anything like this before?

Persephone Jul 15th 2014 4:57 pm

Re: accredited employer visa

On a WTR visa you get a temporary work visa which lasts 30months. After you have worked in that job for 24 months you can apply for Residence from Work and become residents.

When you say you're unable to use the SMC: is this because of the timescales involved or because you don't have enough points?

If you are eligible for the SMC, you can apply any time. If you apply now and rely on it as your 'only' visa the problem is that you may not get a visa within three months. You might do but it is pushing it - have a look at the processing times on the INZ website, I don't think I would be that willing to risk it!

There is nothing to stop you applying for WTR [to get you started at work] and SMC [to become residents before the two years is up]. You can apply for more than one visa at once.
There are some advantages to becoming resident sooner depending on what you think the future might hold.

P:)

sghall Jul 15th 2014 8:57 pm

We could use the SMC as would hav enough points but it's the timeframe for getting over there.

We were goin to use a migrant agent but just feel it's a lot of money if it's just paperwork really!

Could we apply for WTR now and also under the SMC now? If hubby goes on WTR, do I apply for the same visa as I wil be needing to work too once I get a job.

What are the benefits of being a resident sooner? We plan to stay for long term.

MrsFychan Jul 15th 2014 9:13 pm

you could apply for the smc now and in the mean time your husband could apply for a 12mth temp work visa, that's what we had to do. Husband came out and got things sorted here whilst myself and the kids sorted out the stuff needed to be sorted in the UK. The SMC visa had still not been approved within the 3mth timescale as stated on the website due to mine and daughters medicals being referred, husbands job offer not as CO wanted so had to go back 3 times for amendment and the fact it was over Christmas time and CO only worked a 4 day week. Myself and kids still flew out on visitors visa's as we always intended to go back after 6mths as it was my eldest, who did not come over with us, 21st. We got the visa approval 5 wks after myself and the kids landed

Why are you going to use an agent, basically unless there is going to be a major problem you can do it yourself and save the thousands they charge for basically just getting all the information you gather and supply in the correct order. very few people on here seemed to have used an agent and with help and tips from people on here have managed the process quite easily, it is all just about gathering the information required to prove your claims on the forms afterall

Persephone Jul 16th 2014 4:31 pm

Yes, you can apply for both visas at once and given the timescale you might want to. It's a bit risky assuming you'll get residency in time-you might but you might not. It seems that WTR visas are issued very quickly.
Or you could just go with the WTR and apply for residency in two years. Depends on how risk averse you are!

If he applies for a WTR, you apply for a work visa under partnership since you want to work [or a visitor visa under partnership if you change your mind;)]. Alternatively, you can wait for the SMC visa and arrive as a visitor but obviously you can't work until then.

Bear in mind that if you come over on a 6month visa waiver as a visitor rather than applying for a visa then you will need a ticket out of NZ to be allowed to board the plane, that can be a return to the UK or a ticket to any country you have the right to enter.

If you're happy doing the paperwork then an agent isn't necessary at all. Most of us on here have done it ourselves so can help out if you get stuck. They charge an exorbitant amount for what they do:eek:

As for the advantages of becoming resident sooner rather than in two years:
*the husband will have the freedom to change jobs [which he has anyway but must be for another accredited employer or fit into another visa category].
*you get a permanent resident visa sooner-helps if you might want to leave NZ for a few years at any point. Unless he earns >$90,000 then you won't get one until he has been a resident for two years. Someone earning over this amount automatically gets a PRV when they apply to become a resident under WTR.
*Obviously if you want to become citizens then you can do this sooner as well

There will probably be others that I can't think of at the moment!

moonie2011 Jul 16th 2014 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by sghall (Post 11337456)
We could use the SMC as would hav enough points but it's the timeframe for getting over there.

We were goin to use a migrant agent but just feel it's a lot of money if it's just paperwork really!

Could we apply for WTR now and also under the SMC now? If hubby goes on WTR, do I apply for the same visa as I wil be needing to work too once I get a job.

What are the benefits of being a resident sooner? We plan to stay for long term.

My OH is on a WTR visa, I got a partnership visa at the same time (which entitles me to work) and my kids got student visas. From the day I submitted to day we got them back, 5 days, this was last year.
If it was me I would apply for this and either the same time or when you get here apply for SMC.
Good luck

Blade Down Under Jul 16th 2014 8:35 pm

The only advice I will say about the WTR visa is beware of NZ Immigration and also the postal service

If you haven't applied for residency (SMC) after 6 months, then on your new application you will need to get new police certificates. First of all you have the pain of payments and then secondly the NZ post system is shocking here. I have had Immigration letters dumped on my driveway a few times since it fills the mail box up, open for anyone to take them. An American I know actually had his certificate stolen. It arrived in NZ, they had proof it was delivered but no doubt the postman just dumped it on the driveway and someone else picked it up and took it. He had to pay extra to get another one sent, ridiculous. There is something called e-mail, get up to date with technology and then put a stamp on it to confirm it's genuine or get a JOP to do so.

Also, I've had a few complaints about the time it takes for NZ Immigration to make their mind up about Residency applications. You can apply for residency after 24 months as generally they say it should take a max of 6 months to do so. I think there have been 4 expats here who have had to fork money out for an extended work visa as Interim visas do not get issued when you apply for Residency. Therefore whilst it's around $1,000.00 cheaper to wait for 24 months and apply then, Immigration may make you sweat and worry. In fact, I believe one lady here flew home to the UK as she thought her residency application wouldn't be accepted. 2 days upon arriving back home, she had an e-mail saying she'd been accepted. I'm amazed she returned to here but I think she took a 3 week holiday and then was going to stay permanently at our UK office if things didn't work out.

End of day as Our Graham always said - The Decision Is Yours

sghall Jul 16th 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks for all the help!
Bern filling out the EOI tonight, takes quite a bit of time! Stuck on the qualifications!
Hubby has city and guilds level 3 heavy goods vehicle and maintenance, can't seem to find if it's a recognised qualification to gain extra points?

Also if we do WTR, do my children get entitled to the free 20hrs childcare when they are 3?

Blade Down Under Jul 17th 2014 12:49 am

Originally Posted by sghall (Post 11338581)
Thanks for all the help!
Bern filling out the EOI tonight, takes quite a bit of time! Stuck on the qualifications!
Hubby has city and guilds level 3 heavy goods vehicle and maintenance, can't seem to find if it's a recognised qualification to gain extra points?

Also if we do WTR, do my children get entitled to the free 20hrs childcare when they are 3?

Yes. Any three-, four- or five-year-old child in New Zealand can be enrolled in ECE and receive 20 Hours ECE even if they are not a New Zealand resident or citizen.

Sourced from the ministry of education website

MrsFychan Jul 17th 2014 12:58 am

was having a look round Immigration Site, which is playing up I had a look at the Accredited list of employers as husbands first job was with one (couldn't find it so must of let it lapse) and I saw that VTNZ accreditation expires on 26th Sept 2014 which is probably why they are giving the 3mth time limit. Obviously they can reapply but worth bearing in mind for the time limits

Persephone Jul 17th 2014 6:26 pm

If you look under Recognised qualifications
Go to 'Qualifications exempt from assessment'
Click on UK
Then 'Trade and Craft' - C&G is mentioned there :)

moving2NZ2013 Jul 20th 2014 10:28 pm

we are leaving for nz in august.my husband went down accredited route. seems though you can apply for residency sooner but if your able to you can go down SMC route when your in NZ. I will apply for residency as soon as 24 months is up

re: time limits for entering nz with my visa. I could delay it as we originally were but it would mean when my husband landed within the 3 months time limit id then need to apply for transfer visa which I think costs around £50 plus app fee

Robbo25 Jul 21st 2014 8:42 am

Originally Posted by moonie2011 (Post 11338471)
My OH is on a WTR visa, I got a partnership visa at the same time (which entitles me to work) and my kids got student visas. From the day I submitted to day we got them back, 5 days, this was last year.
If it was me I would apply for this and either the same time or when you get here apply for SMC.
Good luck

I did the WTR route when I came here and it also took me 5 days. I took the documents to London and personally presented them to an immigration officer who gave them a quick check and we got them back in the post 5 days later.

Once we were here we applied for PR and got that around 4 months later. At the time you couldn't re-use the medicals, now you can so that will save you a significant amount of money.

Personally, I get the WTR done and do the rest when you land as you'll have plenty to sort out in the intervening period.

sghall Jul 21st 2014 8:55 am

Had an email back off hubbys employer and they want him to go down the wtr accredited employer route, this is fine but do you think it's worth submitting a eoi for skilled migrant for residency at the same time? If we wait and do it over in NZ I presume it's still under the skilled migrant category unless we wait the two years?

Is it the same medicals we need for work visa and skilled migrant? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get our head round it all, if didn't hav the two kids probably wouldn't be so bothered but just keen for the security of residency since we have enough points!

Persephone Jul 21st 2014 3:20 pm

Before the two years is up you would have to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category- that doesn't change if you're in NZ.
If you wait and work for two years then you apply for Residence from Work.

So if you want residency sooner then the only way is the SMC.

I would agree with Robbo, once you receive an ITA you only have 4 months to return it with all the documents. You can apply for both now [the WTR is only to start you working in that case] but you'd be having to organise the ITA around the time you emigrate. It depends on whether you want to add another thing to sort out whilst doing everything else to do with emigrating and arriving in a new country!
Only you can decide on that.

For the SMC you need a General Med Cert and Xray Cert which should be the same as the ones you have already done. You re-use those:)