Accountant - soon to be off the list?

Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Nikkilaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Accountant - soon to be off the list?

Hi All,

Sorry to ask yet more questions but still trying to work a few things out...

I read somewhere on this site that Accountant is going to be removed off the immediate skills shortage list in March 16 and I think according to some links I've clicked through that it isn't on the long term shortage list at the moment.

So my question is, does this mean I wont be able to do the whole EOI thing if I get a job offer in accountancy in the next couple of months because of this or does this not affect that?

Am I right in thinking the advantage of your line of work being on the short term skills shortage list is that employers don't have to show proof that they tried to fill it with a NZ person first - or is it also that this allows you to be eligible for the skilled migrant category visa?

Another question I have (sorry!) is I believe that my husband and kids would be included on my visa application if I am the one with a job offer etc - does this mean I give details on them etc and it doesn't matter how many points they would have or does my husband need more than 140 points too?

Lastly, for the medical and police checks - I am assuming that would just be for me and the hubby to need to do or do the kids need these too? - they are 3 yrs old and 9 months old.

Thanks for your help everyone
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:04 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountant - soon to be off the list?

Originally Posted by Nikkilaw View Post
Hi All,

Sorry to ask yet more questions but still trying to work a few things out...
That's OK. We all started out like this so no worries.
I read somewhere on this site that Accountant is going to be removed off the immediate skills shortage list in March 16 and I think according to some links I've clicked through that it isn't on the long term shortage list at the moment.

So my question is, does this mean I wont be able to do the whole EOI thing if I get a job offer in accountancy in the next couple of months because of this or does this not affect that?
If an occupation is taken off the shortage listings it means that New Zealand & in particular the NZ Labour Dept, feel that there are enough accountants or budding accountants to fill vacancies nationwide.

This doesn't mean you cannot go the Skilled Migrant route . You can . The reason you can is because your occupation is seen as skilled. It is not about the shortage lists.
The skilled migrant route is all about the points . If you have enough points without a job offer then fine. If you need a job offer to boost points then
also fine and ups the quality of the application.

Am I right in thinking the advantage of your line of work being on the short term skills shortage list is that employers don't have to show proof that they tried to fill it with a NZ person first - or is it also that this allows you to be eligible for the skilled migrant category visa?
Right in the first instance. Wrong in the second.

The idea of the Immediate Shortage list is to help employers . It isn't about the Skilled Migrant policy. It is to allow employers to more easily find the employees they feel they need.
An occupation does not even need to be seen as skilled to make it on the Immediate Shortage list.

Another way employers can make it easier for themselves is by becoming NZ Immigration accredited employers. This also allows them to employ overseas people without a need to prove there is no NZ citizen or resident that could take up the work.
With an accredited employer a person could look to residency through the Work to Residency route. The job must be of $55K pa and long term. Takes 2 years.

Another question I have (sorry!) is I believe that my husband and kids would be included on my visa application if I am the one with a job offer etc - does this mean I give details on them etc and it doesn't matter how many points they would have or does my husband need more than 140 points too?
Different visas require different forms.
If you are talking the Skilled Migrant policy towards NZ residency, then this is all about your points . If you are the principle applicant then your husband could only be worth a total of 20 points if he has the quals for that. Those points are on your application . You lead the way.
Yes. There needs to also be forms for your husband and for the children . That is for their details under the family policy. They are allowed to apply on the back of your application.

If you gain a job offer and decide to take up a temporary work visa to get you here (before doing the skilled migrant eoi) then your husband will apply for an open work visa under the family route and your kids will come in under special visitor visa or student visas.

Lastly, for the medical and police checks - I am assuming that would just be for me and the hubby to need to do or do the kids need these too? - they are 3 yrs old and 9 months old

Yes. You and your husband need police checks and medicals.
Both your children will need a medical however they are not required to have a chest xray or blood tests unless otherwise directed.

Thanks for the help
No problem. That is what BE and BE members are all about.
Care and share if we can.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for this, that's incredibly helpful!

Please could you tell me a little bit more about the temporary work visa - does it involve as much paperwork as the SMC route?
It's something I hadn't considered because if I get a job offer il have more than 140 points but if the temporary work route is easier/ quicker to process i.e not going to invoice medicals, police checks, uni scripts etc to be obtained then that might be a very good shout as we really want to be in NZ in 2016 so my son doesn't start school here in the UK as don't want to mess him around
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:38 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

If you gain a job offer, then you can uplift a temporary work visa to get you here and started. Many of us have had to do this.

Yes. It would be quicker . Not just that. It shows the NZ employer good faith that you intend to arrive and take up the work.

If the temporary work visa is for more than 12 months , then you still need to do the medical. If it is for under that period , then no. However, in my opinion it is wise that the temporary work visa be for at least two years. Others may think differently.

Your family would apply on the back of the application.

It is possible to complete all the temp visa paperwork, take it to London yourselves if reasonably close by and then have the application approved quite quickly. More quickly that for a residency application.

You would need to prove that your quals & work experience match the job offer which they do. Having an NZ assessment of your accounting quals will certainly help. In fact , getting that underway is probably your first step.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Fantastic! Thank you 👍
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:58 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

I will add that a medical is good for three months.

In theory you could take up the temp work permit and start work. You could in tandem start a skilled migrant EOI and almost immediately submit that once here. The medical would be in date AFAIK.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 9:27 am
Just Joined

ca_sumit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I am looking for an accountant in this group .please connect with me by reply.

Thanks
Sumit Goenka
Old Apr 21st 2016, 9:59 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ca_sumit View Post
Hi All,
I am looking for an accountant in this group .please connect with me by reply.

Thanks
Sumit Goenka
err no. Make a new post and put your questions in there please