Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

About to have ITA rejected - any point to trying an immigration advisor?

About to have ITA rejected - any point to trying an immigration advisor?

Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Location: London temporarily, Auckland...bah, who knows, maybe never
Bev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really nice
Default Re: About to have ITA rejected - any point to trying an immigration advisor?

Originally Posted by skends
hi bev mk, - although my qualification is accepted in NZ, it states it on the ISSL next to my profession, it dosent tell you that it still has to be assessed further. - because it is not a NZ qualification it had to be assessed, it wasnt on the exempt list though. Hope this makes sense.
I think it is really unfair as alot of people already in NZ are working on the same qualifiaction as mine so it should be recognised and exempt - i have no idea why. when we were selected from the EOI they sent us a specific list of documents they required and the NZQA assessment was one of them. Also I have had to register with the professional body in NZ - that was an extra £300. - seems pointless to me because if we get declined there will be no use for it! Some of the NZIS rules and procedures are not common sense and not practical.
keep fighting bev mk x
Seems rough. However our quals are on the exempt list, we're not required to reregister and an NZQA assessment was not on the list of document requirements they sent us with the EOI. So I still think that asking the CO why they want us to go to the NZQA is a reasonable question ..... CO doesn't think it's a reasonable question.

I don't think we're ready to give up quite yet but of course the job offer will go away if this takes too long - in fact, they may well withdraw it once they know we've hit these problems. Sigh...
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: About to have ITA rejected - any point to trying an immigration advisor?

Originally Posted by Bev MK
Any queries on why they are saying what they're saying is met with the response that they don't explain it as they're not immigration consultants. It seems a pretty hostile and brick wall kind of process - is it usually like this?
No. You seem to have a rubbish one.

Yes. People have been known to ask for their applications to be taken up by a branch supervisor.

Ref. the quals thing. It is possible to be deemed to be overqualified for an occupation.Strange but true. The CO is probably seeking to find out if the UK qualification matches the level for the occupation. Not over and not under.

I'd say this CO has taken a dislike to your application for some reason. Get this person moved off the case.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:37 am
`

NZIs operations manual has this to say about the service it offers.

Originally Posted by NZIS
Underpinning all our activity is the desire to provide the best possible service and to demonstrate honesty, fairness, confidentiality and respect in all our dealings.
and this

INZ aims to increase the economic and social framework of New Zealand by: facilitating residence and temporary entry into New Zealand
and this . Can you tell I'm miffed for you.

A1.15 Practical steps towards achieving fairness and natural justice in decision-making
  1. If the applicant insists on proceeding, accept and process an application made in the prescribed manner (see R2.35 - R2.50), even if it is likely that it will be declined; and
  2. consider all the facts, keeping an open mind towards all relevant forms of evidence; and
  3. distinguish fact from opinion, rumour, allegation, assumption or report; and
  4. apply relevant immigration instructions; and
  5. inform the applicant of the actual reasons for a decision; and
  6. include an interpreter in an interview if the applicant is not fluent in English, or if the applicant asks for one to be present (see A14); and
  7. include an applicant's lawyer, immigration adviser, or family representative if the applicant asks for them to be present.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm miffed for you too. Do not be concerned with upsetting this CO's feelings. This is about YOUR future, so be adamant about it being passed on to someone more senior.

Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:06 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Bevs and Vital, it's your future so you deserve a reason as to why they are saying what they are and you deserve for it to be looked at again by another person.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Bev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS

I'd say this CO has taken a dislike to your application for some reason. Get this person moved off the case.
I had thought this myself but then thought that maybe I was being paranoid. I don't know why they've taken against us. We've only had 2 phone convs with them and hubby is as mild-mannered and as polite as you could hope to meet so I don't see how he could have offended them. If it had been me on the phone, maybe!

Can you tell I'm miffed for you.
I can! And thank you for the guidance on standards. I did think that the "i don't explain my decisions, that would be immigration advice" attitude was rather off but it's great to see that it doesn't meet their own guidelines.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm miffed for you too. Do not be concerned with upsetting this CO's feelings. This is about YOUR future, so be adamant about it being passed on to someone more senior.

Thanks. I suppose my concern is partly that I figure that with this kind of thing you don't have a right to a visa and they're always going to be able to find a way to turn you down if they want to so I didn't want to put their backs up.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I agree with Bevs and Vital, it's your future so you deserve a reason as to why they are saying what they are and you deserve for it to be looked at again by another person.
Thank you. The support really helps.

We have talked to a lawyer and weren't convinced that they offered us quite what we needed right now but may revisit that again soon. The employer has confirmed that they will not change the contract, which is as we expected. They also say that none of their expats have ever gone for PR - I think this may well be because it is a field where people tend to move a lot. They also say that they are confident they can help us get a 3 yr visa pretty quickly and that they can prove to NZIS that they could not recruit a kiwi. We will probably file for the fixed term visas while still keeping the process going on the PR one. Based on what the lawyer told us, we plan to write a letter asking that they view our application with particular consideration to "settlement and contribution" (21.10 I think). We think we stack up pretty well on that as we are both highly employable in well-paid fields, each hold a prof qual and 2 masters, we're multilingual (not too useful in NZ I know), and we've lived overseas before and have a few friends in NZ. According to the lawyers it's basically about showing that you end up paying a good whack of tax and that you will stay employed and understand the consequences of moving far away from home. We can demonstrate all of that. We've lived in remote locations further from the UK (in time terms, not geography) and our children were born overseas away from family and friends.

I think if it comes down to it, we'll go on a temp visa but I do want PR. We've reached the stage where I don't want to be relocating the kids too often. My eldest is currently a typical TCK, and I want him to have a stronger sense of home and belonging. NZ is one of the few places in the world where we could have a perm home and hubby could have access to the work he prefers. There's not many places where the two overlap. He can get work anywhere but life is so much better when you're doing what you really enjoy.

So, I think overall I'm feeling more positive now. Unsettled but positive. Next stage, write letter. Then, if that's ignored, ask for it to be referred higher.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

Glad to hear your sticking in there. The letter sounds good - I did an email explaining our situation - after all these people don't know us from Adam and it can't hurt to give them a full picture. And again, do go higher; as I said I have my CO and her manager working on our case, its then going to be second checked by another just to make sure (I'm assuming this is the normal process as I didn't ask for it). Make sure you get the full service you're paying for; goog luck
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 6:47 am
`

Yes. You do stack up extremely well . Keep at it.
Yes. Go for the temp 3 yr visa as the stop gap. It shows commitment to arrive and settle. It will strengthen the PR application.

Just like for anything else, there can be quality CO's and rubbish ones. I'm not sure there are ongoing tests of their ability to handle applications properly. Or if said applications are passed through more than one CO & then signed off by a manager to ensure a uniform approach and attitude in accordance with their own operations manual. Your case would suggest not & indeed, I've read of similar in the past. Even an order for deportation has been overturned because the migrant has actually been able to show they can & do contribute to NZ.

that with this kind of thing you don't have a right to a visa and they're always going to be able to find a way to turn you down if they want to
I see what you are saying but this isn't actually allowed by NZ's own government standards.
If you meet the criteria & you do, then you have every right to expect fair play by this country and a visa reflective of that.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:43 am
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

Fingers crossed for you bev mk, maybe there are just a few more hoops for you to jump through - pardon the pun, but im sure it will all come together. I feel that too about thinking that they will be able to find a way to turn you down if they want to, but as Bevs says - you have every right to expect fair play .
I know this is your thread but - we now have 4 more hoops to jump through!!! sorry but thats how i see it 1 - another police check! one of hubbys middle names was not on the police cert, and not in his passport - 2 - a statutory declaration to confirm that hes dosent usually use one of his middle names and 3 - a character waiver statement (he was a minor offence from 27 years ago, and 4 - his medical has been referred as his chest xray showed something abnormal!! I feel like we are never going to get to NZ!!!
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

We finally have contact from our case officer and it's depressing.

170 points, job offer paying nearly $200k and on the shortage list, both qualified accountants with 2 masters degrees each, extensive experience, medicals clear, clean police records.

Problem is that, because of the sector my husband works in, the job offer is a 3 year contract with the possibility of extension by mutual agreement. It's the norm in his field to have 1-3 contracts because of the way things are funded. He has a CV showing a string of back to back 1-3 year contracts which we figure complies with the requirement in 7.15 to show that if the job offer is not a permanent contract you have a history of sustainable employment and contracts. NZ House say nahhhh, if it's not a permanent contract it doesn't count.

We can't apply for WTR because neither of us have an accountancy degree and he'd need one to meet the rules on this for this job. Very daft from our perspective as we're both chartered accountants and most chartered accountants in the UK do not have an accountancy degree, that's not how it's done here. In the UK, the professional qualification outranks the uni one by miles, as it does in many other fields. However, the NZ process is only interested in our degrees and rules are rules...

We can see a position where we end up giving up on this soon as we seem to have hit a brick wall.

I'm wondering if anyone else has successfully dealt with this sort of impasse? We wonder if this is the sort of specific problem where an immigration advisor could be of use but are wary of how difficult it can be to find a good one. We're not after someone who does the package of forms etc, but someone to pay for specific advice by the hour.
Haven't read the whole thread - sorry bit of a hurry!
I got residency with a three year contract. As far as I know, showing that your employment is sustainable does not require a permanent contract at all, and if your hub has been in employment sustainably historically then that should be good enough. That's what my agent (through the employer here) always told me and there were absolutely no questions from the CO about it at all.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:37 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

We will go back to the employer but apart from the fact that they just don't do perm contracts.
If they don't do perm contracts is there anyway of them stating that you are "permanent" (even though you are not) in the contract to get around it? Basically just getting the employer to pull a few stings to help you get over there.

The only reason I suggest this is because I know companies have done this the other way around for expats on the working holiday visa. On the WHV you are not allowed to take up permanent employment so employers put in the contract that they are temporary until a more permanent visa is arranged. A friend of mine went over on a WHV to work as a lab technician. He got a job and his employers put in the contract that he was a temp. They then went on to sort out the WTR visa so that he could stay on permanently with no problems.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Sep 24th 2012 at 5:45 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
Haven't read the whole thread - sorry bit of a hurry!
I got residency with a three year contract. As far as I know, showing that your employment is sustainable does not require a permanent contract at all, and if your hub has been in employment sustainably historically then that should be good enough. That's what my agent (through the employer here) always told me and there were absolutely no questions from the CO about it at all.
That's our reading of it too, but CO disagrees.

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
If they don't do perm contracts is there anyway of them stating that you are "permanent" (even though you are not) in the contract to get around it? Basically just getting the employer to pull a few stings to help you get over there.
absolutely no way they'd do that. Squeaky clean organisation.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:17 pm
`

Looking forward to reading that this CO is eating humble pie and has been whisked off for more training !

Could BevMK use your agent GoingIn2011 ?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Looking forward to reading that this CO is eating humble pie and has been whisked off for more training !

I wish I had your confidence Bevs!

Yes, I would be interested to have the agent's details, good point!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, it was an immigration agent who works for my employer directly (I believe) and so would only handle our work cases.

On reading through the email exchanges with the agent from a year or so ago, the issue came back to me. She told me at the time that I would have to have a renew option built into my contract - which I have since completely forgotten about. On checking - it is there, in the form of a covering letter for the contract. So what I said originally in this thread is not the whole story - so apologies for that. I completely forgot about this extra bit. This was built into my contract documentation precisely because they were getting someone from overseas; i.e. my employer had experience that this is what is required for residency. My employer does not do permanent contracts!

It basically says that the employer will undertake to find me another position in the same field even though the position I am moving to now only has funding for X years.

The employer is an academic institution and therefore has guaranteed existence (pretty much) and thus the undertaking to find me another position is pretty substantive. If the prospective employer could argue the same, then perhaps this will tip the balance.

My agent did make this point very clear however:
A fixed term contract does not automatically meet the requirements and it is the up to the discretion of the individual case officer.

Last edited by GoingIn2011; Sep 26th 2012 at 4:26 am.