500000 applications a year?

Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default 500000 applications a year?

I just read that the NZ immigration minister said his department reviews about 500000 applications a year. From what I ´ve read, they gave out around 50000 permits in 2011, so does that mean they reject 90% of applications received? Also to review that many applications in a year, they´d need to review 10000 a week, or 2000 a day; sounds lot to me or is there something I´m missing here?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 500000 applications a year?

Originally Posted by dfjordan
I just read that the NZ immigration minister said his department reviews about 500000 applications a year. From what I ´ve read, they gave out around 50000 permits in 2011, so does that mean they reject 90% of applications received? Also to review that many applications in a year, they´d need to review 10000 a week, or 2000 a day; sounds lot to me or is there something I´m missing here?
Wonder how may are just Visitor visas...
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:40 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

NZ Immigration minister can't count
Old Mar 16th 2012, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
I would think easily 500,0000.

They do have offices in about every one of the major Asian countries, and many others dotted around the pacific island locations such as Fiji and other offices in the likes of Dubai and Moscow.

The 50,000 or so I believe are the permanent arrivals, there are many that also come in on temporary work visas, students and other categories. The family category knocks a lot of folks back on medical grounds; the business category sees a lot of 'hopefuls' too. Many would be tyre kickers who simply aren't able to back-up their credentials at the end of the day, or some start the process and don't pay the fees.

You might well imagine they get a lot of triers, folks who don't have a hope, people who lie or who get it totally wrong by mistake and those who change their minds, give up or don't persue to the final stages.

Places in Far East they insist upon face to face interviews and the waiting times can be very, very long.

They've tightened up a lot too in those 'dodgy' places where immigration officers have been done for 'fraud' or been offering mates rates and rubberstamping visas for their own friends and families. At one time they had about 30 staff under investigation for dodgy dealings.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I would think easily 500,0000.

They do have offices in about every one of the major Asian countries, and many others dotted around the pacific island locations such as Fiji and other offices in the likes of Dubai and Moscow.

The 50,000 or so I believe are the permanent arrivals, there are many that also come in on temporary work visas, students and other categories. The family category knocks a lot of folks back on medical grounds; the business category sees a lot of 'hopefuls' too. Many would be tyre kickers who simply aren't able to back-up their credentials at the end of the day, or some start the process and don't pay the fees.

You might well imagine they get a lot of triers, folks who don't have a hope, people who lie or who get it totally wrong by mistake and those who change their minds, give up or don't persue to the final stages.

Places in Far East they insist upon face to face interviews and the waiting times can be very, very long.

They've tightened up a lot too in those 'dodgy' places where immigration officers have been done for 'fraud' or been offering mates rates and rubberstamping visas for their own friends and families. At one time they had about 30 staff under investigation for dodgy dealings.
Thanks very much Bo Jangles for your clarification of the figures. It hadn´t occurred to me that there were so many offices; I was just imagining a few souls working away in some location in Aukland. All is now very clear