Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

5 months left on working holiday visa, ideas for best way to achieve residency???

5 months left on working holiday visa, ideas for best way to achieve residency???

Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:20 am
Just Joined

gavin1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 months left on working holiday visa, ideas for best way to achieve residency???

Hi all,
Me and my partner have been in nz on a 2 year working holiday visa, and have just returned to auckland from a months visit to the uk to see family, mainly to evaluate whether we want to try for residency in nz or return to the uk in march. We have just arrived back in nz today and have got until march when our visas expire, and have decided that we want to go for residency.
What we would ideally like to do is apply and stay in nz but am not too sure what the best route to take is with our timespan. I am an electrician who hopefully has a job to go back to in january, who i worked for 6 months prior to returning to the uk in september. I havent got electrical registration yet but have started the process. My partner works in healthcare and has a job to go back to also (we arent married).
If anyone on this forum can give us some advice on which way to go (wtr, work permit, etc.) that would be great as we dont want to leave, we love it here!!!! Thanks for any advice you can give us, gavin and shell
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 5 months left on working holiday visa, ideas for best way to achieve residency???

Originally Posted by gavin1
Hi all,
Me and my partner have been in nz on a 2 year working holiday visa, and have just returned to auckland from a months visit to the uk to see family, mainly to evaluate whether we want to try for residency in nz or return to the uk in march. We have just arrived back in nz today and have got until march when our visas expire, and have decided that we want to go for residency.
What we would ideally like to do is apply and stay in nz but am not too sure what the best route to take is with our timespan. I am an electrician who hopefully has a job to go back to in january, who i worked for 6 months prior to returning to the uk in september. I havent got electrical registration yet but have started the process. My partner works in healthcare and has a job to go back to also (we arent married).
If anyone on this forum can give us some advice on which way to go (wtr, work permit, etc.) that would be great as we dont want to leave, we love it here!!!! Thanks for any advice you can give us, gavin and shell
Are you able to prove that you and your partner are a de facto couple, ie have lived together etc. Then you can apply as a couple which gives you more options.

Have a look at the points calculator for an expression of interest for PR, and if you qualify have enough points then you can apply now. not sure about the timeframes for getting it granted before march, its been a while since i applied.

your other option which is probalby second choice after PR, is to go for Work to residence (it sounds like your partner is more likely to qualify in the health field, if you dont have your registration sorted out)
she will need to get a full time job sorted in nz, with a minimum salary from an accredited employer. Being in nz already helps a lot, because you can attend interviews and you have Nz experience.

hope this helps