British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months + (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/43-years-old-looking-temporary-visit-work-12-months-913852/)

Thatch1975 Jun 12th 2018 6:32 pm

43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 
Hi
the wife and I are both too old for a working holiday visa but would like to visit and live / work in nz for a year with our 2 young children.
Whats the best way to go about this ?
im a service delivery manager in IT
She’s a paramedic both have 15 years experience in our respective jobs

simonsi Jun 13th 2018 3:21 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 
I'd be very wary as to whether that will work in practice, as the WH visa isn't available and you only want a year (so the time/money investment in getting a skilled migrant visa looks onerous), you would be left needing job offers in order to be able to uplift any work visa. Paramedics in NZ would be almost totally employed by either the St John Ambulance or the Wellington Free Ambulance, both charities. The job market for IT Service Delivery Managers looks to me to be fairly loose at the moment so it might take some time (3-6mths maybe), to obtain an offer - even if you were in-country and with the right already to work here.

I'm assuming you can both take 1yr sabbaticals from your current roles so definitely have work to return to in the UK afterwards?

Most employers will probably not want to invest the time into hiring into such roles if they know you only intend to spend such a short time here IMHO, especially as you won't be in-country to apply in person - and the only route you have for that would be to arrive as a visitor on a job-search.

BEVS Jun 13th 2018 6:24 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 
I like your verve & determination.

As previously explained it will be tough for your wife to find employment even on a temp basis.

If you are keen for adventure as a family then perhaps think outside the box.

You could wooof which would keep down costs ....& you never know what connections you might make . ;)

Thatch1975 Jun 13th 2018 6:12 pm

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 
we are determined :-)

I have family connections already in NZ in the way of cousins and their extended families . Realise the paramedic situation doesn’t look promising as you say Bev. I’m considering the options and was thinking about IT contracting which I can and have done in the UK. As a result I’d be happy leaving my current role for something in NZ and returning to contracting if and when we came back to the UK.

thinking out of the box sounds good ! I don’t think I’ve heard of woof !

i was wondering if any other folks on here had experience IT contracting in NZ ?

Thsnks as always for the great tips, not want we wanted to hear so far but not giving up so easily !

💪🏻

MrsFychan Jun 13th 2018 7:42 pm

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 
those family connections will not add to you application. The IT contracting route was viable 5 years ago, if it is now possible I am not sure but it would be dependant on getting a job offer but you also need to be aware that a job offer does not mean you will be given a visa or allow the whole family to come over with you.

Thatch1975 Jun 13th 2018 9:48 pm

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 
Yes thanks I’m fully aware that the family connections don’t assist with applications for visa. I meant the network for potentially networking and getting job offers could be helpful as my cousin works in IT

what i need is some input from a person who knows the It job market as it seems a job offer will be essential in our case

simonsi Jun 13th 2018 10:25 pm

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 
So from the other thread...you said you might consider Australia but that "NZ was the ultimate destination". Ultimate for a year only?

TBH you can start many different threads with different scenarios, angling for different answers..but what do you <actually> want to do? Then people might be able to give you best advice without having to read across multiple threads trying to build a full(er) picture in order to advise...

I work in IT, I'm a director for a multinational software company. I wouldn't consider a contractor until he was in country AND he would have to have relevant experience which includes local work practices etc etc which you won't have. If I'm paying top dollar for a contractor he'd better have every skill I require in spades and a fresher off the boat probably won't cut it unless I don't have any other options. I suspect many other potential contractor employers would have the same view. Lining up a "perm" role will either be disingenuous, (I personally don't advertise perm roles where I only want the employee to stay a few months...), or severely limited in opportunities (perm for a year is almost an oxymoron).

Be frank with us, then we can offer best advice.

Thatch1975 Jun 14th 2018 5:39 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12515581)

TBH you can start many different threads with different scenarios, angling for different answers..but what do you <actually> want to do? Then people might be able to give you best advice without having to read across multiple threads trying to build a full(er) picture in order to advise...

i didn’t realise this was confusing people

to clarify:

the aim ultimately would be to secure NZ residency for myself, my wife and two children. This it seems would could be possible via a work to residency essential skills visa as neither of our jobs are on the shortage list.

if residency isn’t possible a year or 2 or 3 ! working in New Zealand would be a second choice target .

the reason we started this second thread was because it was to answer a different question , ie .. are temporary work visas available and what is the it contracting situation .

you have been very clear , if a little blunt ! on both these questions so thank you for your time which I apologise for wasting if that’s the case.

i assume you’re a moderator so please feel free to delete this thread if you are concerned that my forum usage is excessive or misleading

cheers
Ian

MrsFychan Jun 14th 2018 5:40 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 
My husband is a CTO/CIO and does not use contract workers unless there is a special project on and that has only ever happened once in the 7 years he has been here, but as I said in my previous post it was possible 5 years ago but I do not know if it is still possible.
The only option I can see that would allow you to bring family and work would be if you get over 160 without the need of a job offer.

Thatch1975 Jun 14th 2018 5:52 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12515581)
I work in IT, I'm a director for a multinational software company. I wouldn't consider a contractor until he was in country AND he would have to have relevant experience which includes local work practices etc which you won't have. If I'm paying top dollar for a contractor he'd better have every skill I require in spades and a fresher off the boat probably won't cut it

Could you please clarify these statements ?

“ In country” im assuming on a visitor / job seekers visa ?
“ would have to have relevant experience which includes local work practices etc which you won't have.”
which local work practices are these ? I’m an SDM for a large multinational IT services provider. I’d be interested to know how this role would vary in NZ as I’d assumed IT was an international working environment, it certainly is in my case as my team consists of operators based in India and level 2 support based in the USA. My client is UK based and yet we all follow ITIL working practices which are not local to any specific country .

simonsi Jun 14th 2018 5:54 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 

Originally Posted by Thatch1975 (Post 12515686)


i didn’t realise this was confusing people

to clarify:

the aim ultimately would be to secure NZ residency for myself, my wife and two children. This it seems would could be possible via a work to residency essential skills visa as neither of our jobs are on the shortage list.

if residency isn’t possible a year or 2 or 3 ! working in New Zealand would be a second choice target .

the reason we started this second thread was because it was to answer a different question , ie .. are temporary work visas available and what is the it contracting situation .

you have been very clear , if a little blunt ! on both these questions so thank you for your time which I apologise for wasting if that’s the case.

i assume you’re a moderator so please feel free to delete this thread if you are concerned that my forum usage is excessive or misleading

cheers
Ian

Hi - nope not wasted time but it becomes difficult to advise if we don't have a good view of your aims. No I'm not a moderator and personally I don't see any reason to delete the thread but please also bear in mind that the story you present to Immigration NZ has to stack up too and it won't serve your case if they get confused or don't believe they are getting the full story, they can and will assume you are not being open and straight for a reason, and their concern is that reason typically may be to defeat the criteria or overstay. Immigration is largely about momentum, if your goal is long-term residency then talk to that, all the time, everywhere. Asking about 1yr opportunities when you have children in tow just raises red flags.

So your aim now is to secure a temporary work visa which will cover you while a residency application is processed. Or residency directly. You need to see how your points stack up on the INZ website calculator and see if you can obtain residency without a job offer, or whether you need one in any case. I'd suggest putting your details in there with both yourself and secondly your wife as primary applicant and see if there is a best score and whether it tops 160pts. Then you will know whether you definitely need a job offer and can proceed appropriately.

Thatch1975 Jun 14th 2018 5:54 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12515687)
My husband is a CTO/CIO and does not use contract workers unless there is a special project on and that has only ever happened once in the 7 years he has been here, but as I said in my previous post it was possible 5 years ago but I do not know if it is still possible.
The only option I can see that would allow you to bring family and work would be if you get over 160 without the need of a job offer.

thankyou for this , all helpful

Thatch1975 Jun 14th 2018 6:05 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12515690)
but please also bear in mind that the story you present to Immigration NZ has to stack up too and it won't serve your case if they get confused or don't believe they are getting the full story, they can and will assume you are not being open and straight for a reason, and their concern is that reason typically may be to defeat the criteria or overstay. Immigration is largely about momentum, if your goal is long-term residency then talk to that, all the time, everywhere. Asking about 1yr opportunities when you have children in tow just raises red flags..

The reason we are investigating a few different ideas here is that it’s not NZ immigration thus we thought we could be more flexible with possible avenues by asking different questions .

We would obviously streamline our “story” once we get to application .

why would a non permanent working visit of a year or so with children in tow present a red flag? I’d be interested to know what problems Immigration would have with us doing this ?
Our children are not even in school yet (20 months and 4 months old) which is one of the reasons we’d consider a temporary visit. As once they reach school age we will obviously require more stability either here or in NZ.

simonsi Jun 14th 2018 6:12 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 

Originally Posted by Thatch1975 (Post 12515689)


Could you please clarify these statements ?

“ In country” im assuming on a visitor / job seekers visa ?
“ would have to have relevant experience which includes local work practices etc which you won't have.”
which local work practices are these ? I’m an SDM for a large multinational IT services provider. I’d be interested to know how this role would vary in NZ as I’d assumed IT was an international working environment, it certainly is in my case as my team consists of operators based in India and level 2 support based in the USA. My client is UK based and yet we all follow ITIL working practices which are not local to any specific country .

In-country and ready to work, contractors are normally expected to start pretty quickly, if that looks long and/or uncertain while a visa is processed you may lose out.
Local work practices means I'd expect you to be able to fit into the current team, I'm quite open but you should be aware most NZ employers value NZ work experience, you won't have any so you may lose out. This last point is probably the biggest reason that new immigrants can find it takes longer to find that first job.

simonsi Jun 14th 2018 6:16 am

Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +
 

Originally Posted by Thatch1975 (Post 12515695)


The reason we are investigating a few different ideas here is that it’s not NZ immigration thus we thought we could be more flexible with possible avenues by asking different questions .

We would obviously streamline our “story” once we get to application .

why would a non permanent working visit of a year or so with children in tow present a red flag? I’d be interested to know what problems Immigration would have with us doing this ?
Our children are not even in school yet (20 months and 4 months old) which is one of the reasons we’d consider a temporary visit. As once they reach school age we will obviously require more stability either here or in NZ.

Just because the norm is likely to be not being too disruptive to education (if they are school age) if the plan is to both work then I assume the children are school age - if not expect some hefty child-care fees, if they are then they may not be entitled to domestic student status if you are on such a short visa...worth checking.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:49 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.