Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +

43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +

Old Jun 14th 2018, 6:35 am
Just Joined

bxpuser164728469185029 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 43 years old looking at Temporary visit to work 12 months +

The children are NOT of school age until 2020 and 2021 respectively. So hopefully only one of us will work

( this would need to be the one whom gains a job offer and is the primary immigration applicant I assume )

Plan would be for one of us to work until the children are of school age.

Childcare fees in the UK are hefty too 😕

Old Jun 14th 2018, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by simonsi

So your aim now is to secure a temporary work visa which will cover you while a residency application is processed. Or residency directly. You need to see how your points stack up on the INZ website calculator and see if you can obtain residency without a job offer, or whether you need one in any case. I'd suggest putting your details in there with both yourself and secondly your wife as primary applicant and see if there is a best score and whether it tops 160pts. Then you will know whether you definitely need a job offer and can proceed appropriately.
just tried this thanks for the suggestion

we both scored 120 points as primary applicants

any suggestions based on this ?
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:10 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thatch1975

just tried this thanks for the suggestion

we both scored 120 points as primary applicants

any suggestions based on this ?
Do you get to 160pts if you claim the points for a job offer?
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Do you get to 160pts if you claim the points for a job offer?
yes from 120 an additional 50 points for a skilled job offer gets me or my wife up to 170 points

Last edited by bxpuser164728469185029; Jun 14th 2018 at 8:39 am. Reason: Picture
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:52 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, the route I used was Work to Residence visa on the basis of a job offer (processing time in 2010 was around 5 days (!), then applied for residence under the SMC when in-country. We qualified for residence without a job offer back then but the processing time was much quicker.

Its a bit more expensive that way but you get to start the move much quicker. The visa's and rules have changed but I'd try and follow a similar route. The issue you still have is the job offer for one of you.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:34 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

The quicker option for you would be you to get a job as your wife would need to get registered in NZ (costs), pass the IELTS test (costs) before she would be considered for a position and I believe the registration can take 9mths to a year to complete (?)

Our story is MrF came over on a visitors visa for a reccie in the August, he arrived early week, fortunate enough to be an IT expo on in Wellington, fortunate to have made contact with IT agencies over here before he came so had booked coffee meets with a few on them, got an interview later on in the week and started working the next week. this was back in 2011, when you could walk into Immigration office apply for a temp visa in the morning and have it by the afternoon. He already had an EOI in the pool so just updated that with his job offer, at this time the points were 140 and the possibility of getting selected on points as low as 120 was also there. This was a sticky time as they rejected the offer 3 times before they allowed the application to progress, even though he was already in the job working. Anyway myself and the kids came over the following January on visitors visas as the skilled migrant had not yet been approved, we had return tickets. We eventually got approval the February.

Things have drastically changed to the criteria since then and there is still a way to go, I think, before the criteria will settle down without any changes for a while.

If it is possible for you to come out before the rest of the family, you will hear a lot of boots on the ground in the IT field, then I would say that may just give you your best shot. But know the criteria of the visa you are to apply for, know the process, a lot of Companies haven't a clue that its job offer before visa, and be prepared to spend a lot of money trying.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 11:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

May I just write that I feel this particular thread is a good one. Some of the posts may seem a little pointed but they are in fact quality posts which are truthful , factual and helpful.

I do agree that the thread title is a little misleading as I did read it as a one year adventure/sabbatical with the aim to return to the UK. I will tweak it a little.

Returning to the thread.

It will be MrThatch that will need to focus on gaining a job offer. MrsThatch is a paramedic and the slim possibilities of a job offer has already been covered.

Given the determination and that the OP is really looking to long term then it has to be a boots on ground approach sans family.

Simonsi can perhaps give a quick rundown on NZ working practices. One may feel it does not matter but it actually does. The CV may need to be tailored to NZ.

Posters like Simonsi can be insightful and helpful as here in NZ it is often about who you know.

If the OP is working for a multinational, perhaps there is a chance of a transfer.

The usual route for most in IT is that it will be a WTR where they can then choose to go for residency earlier than two years if the points stack up.

Contracting is not a goer.

Beware having a family member fixing some sort of job offer in some way. It is illegal & NZ immigration will likely not accept it .

A temporary work visa is just that. A company offers a job for a set period , for example one year. A work visa is granted if all the criteria add up and that will be for that same period , one year.

NZ Immigration would look carefully at a family arriving for just that length of time. It really needs to be a two year offer.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Guys I can’t thank you all enough for the advice here it’s certainly answered a few questions that we had .

I’m surprised how tough it’s become to gain entry though ! Especially as we both consider ourselves to be quite employable 🙂 Certainly not the news we wanted but I hope there’s still hope ?

Bevs mentioned me travelling to NZ without the family to look for work in IT ? assuming this would be on a visitors visa ? How long could this be for ?

So it seems we are saying a WTR Visa is still the best route. Understand this but I’m not entirely sure how this visa differs from a skilled migrant visa . Can someone clarify the route ?

would it be advisable to get an EOI in the pool ASAP ?

Regarding IT service delivery / project management working practices ... yes plz Can SimonSi advise ?

I’d be looking at Auckland primarily as this would be the preferred final destination if we are successful . I’d guess a good city for IT too given it’s size ?

I was in NZ from Feb 1999 to Jan 2000 on a working holiday visa when I was 25 . I don’t suppose this helps in any way ??

Thanks again to Mrs F , Bevs and SimonSi
very much appreciated 👍

Last edited by bxpuser164728469185029; Jun 15th 2018 at 6:24 am.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 6:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

To be quick as it is teatime.

[left]Guys I can’t thank you all enough for the advice here it’s certainly answered a few questions that we had .
That is what BE is for.

I’m surprised how tough it’s become to gain entry though
I suppose it is that times and politics change.

Bevs mentioned me travelling to NZ without the family ....
Line your ducks up first. Visit your extended family.

Quote NZIS
"When your visa was granted, it was on the basis of you visiting New Zealand. You can't work on a visitor visa, but you can look for work.
Apply for a work visa

We call your intentions your bona fides. While you can look for work or attend a job interview in New Zealand on a visitor's visa, your primary purpose must be to visit."

Are we saying a WTR Visa is still the best route ?
IMO . Yes.
would it be advisable to get an EOI in the pool ASAP ?
With a job offer. Yes.
Without one. No

I was in NZ from Feb 1999 to Jan 2000 on a working holiday visa when I was 25 . I don’t suppose this helps in any way ??
No.

edit..

I am not sure if you know of this or if I mentioned this before.

Unlimited Potential

Talk to them.

Forget where you wish to go. Anywhere is good if there is a job offer.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 15th 2018 at 6:29 am.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bev

i can’t find WTR on the NZIS website unless it’s also called a talent visa ?

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa

enjoy your tea !
Old Jun 15th 2018, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bev

i can’t find WTR on the NZIS website unless it’s also called a talent visa ?

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa

enjoy your tea !
Correct.
WTR or Work To Residence isn't a specific visa as such. It is a pathway from temporary status to permanent status. More a visa route from Work Visa to Residence Visa. You start off with a Talent (Accredited Employer) temporary work visa OR a Long Term Skill Shortage List Visa and then after a period of 24 months on that visa and in the job that gave you that visa (minimum salary applies) you can apply for a residence visa.

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/mo...nce-work-visas
Old Jun 21st 2018, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks Guys

This thread has really helped focus our planning towards the goal of residency, via a work to residency pathway. It's looking like I will need to get a job offer as my skills as a Service Delivery Manager don't fall into any of the shortage categories.. I take the point that I'm best off applying a boots on the ground strategy here .. so I'd appreciate comments based on how best to approach this ?
I could spend a lot of time applying for NZ based roles from the UK but at which point would I be best advised to buy a ticket and go ? Also for how long ( appreciate this is much of an open ended question as how long is a piece of string !) however some guidance from previous experiences or local knowledge would help ?
I need some ideas on how to plan my job searching and potential NZ visit.
I would be able to stay with family which helps
Can you gain entry as a visitor on a one way ticket if you have funds in the bank ? Does this rule still apply ? I'd prefer this to buying a return as I won't know how long I'm staying !
Many questions on this approach ,,, but as you have all advised as much I'm hoping to brainstorm some ideas
Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:49 pm
It is what it is Member

... but at which point would I be best advised to buy a ticket and go ? Also for how long...
Well we arrived with a job offer for my wife already (she's in medical), but it took me 7mths to find a position. I was in that position for 4 years then moved directly into my current role. THAT's the impact of the lack of NZ experience when you first arrive.

Sorry I haven't been able to give more detail, slammed putting a new system into 4 QLD hospitals at the same time...
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Well we arrived with a job offer for my wife already (she's in medical), but it took me 7mths to find a position. I was in that position for 4 years then moved directly into my current role. THAT's the impact of the lack of NZ experience when you first arrive.
7 months is a very long time, seriously unsure how we would manage this as I cant realistically leave the family for that long without a source of income whilst I punt for work in New Zealand. Would a visitors visa even last that long ?

Not very encouraging news but I appreciate your honesty
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 7:49 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

MrF came over on a visitors visa for a month, back in 2011. Being in IT it did not take him long to get a job so he got a temp work visa and stayed. Myself and kids back in UK, and as you say could not afford both costs of living, so I discussed with mortgage company, put house on market and didn't pay the mortgage. MIL leant us some money to live on and all got paid back when house sold. Needs must in this game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.