30+ graduate opportunities......Help!

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

mikisue is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 30+ graduate opportunities......Help!

Hi all,

We are just starting the process and have spoken to various agents to advise the best route to immigration.

I have 5 yrs provable retail management experience (other employers have gone bust) and just completed my degree in Geosciences. Ideally I would like a job using this but the general consensus seems to be I need to go in as a retail manager then change jobs once visas are in place. I am uncomfortable with the idea of taking this route as I prefer not to "use" a company in this way (am I being too principled?).

Does anyone have experience of this sort of situation or any words of wisdom that may help please?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 30+ graduate opportunities......Help!

Get in any way u can mate, big companies wouldn,t think twice about using you
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 11:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Your post suggests you have been told that you need a job offer to gain enough points. Is this so ?

What points do you have? Try the official NZIS POINTS INDICATOR. Click the link.

Ref :- ANZSCO Register - Retail Manager . 142111 -- I can't find this occupation on the NZIS shortages lists anywhere. This would mean that an NZ employer would have to prove there was no NZ resident or citizen that could take that job unless they were an NZIS accredited employer.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:51 am
Just Joined

mikisue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bev,
Yes I need a job offer as retail management is not on skills shortage list and i struggle to see how an employer could prove that there are no NZ residents who could do the job - it is hardly rocket science - I have not looked into wether there are any retailers on the NZIS accredited employer list, I will do that next.

My points as far as I can tell are
Age 30-39 - 25pts
Qualification - 50pts
Work experience - 15pts
Outside Auckland - 10pts (Cannot afford to live there!)
Job offer - 50pts (If I can get one!)

So thats 150pts which on the face of it is good. We could get more if my hubby got a job too but in the short term we need him to look after our 2 little ones.

I have had a quote from a consultancy who sources you a job and does all the paperwork etc. I was considering using them as getting a retail job will not be easy from the other side of the world but when they sent through their agreement it was markedly different in the conditions of refund than what they had said in emails/on the phone. AAGH! too many descisions!!

The consultants said I can claim pts for my degree (which I have spent the last 7 yrs doing) but the immigration NZ people at an expo we went to said that was only the case if it was relevant to my job offer. Who is correct? It looks like I can count it whatever to me.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I recall from our application, your degree has to be relevant to your job offer.

Jan
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Pretty sure now that qualifications must be relevant to what you are claiming experiance for i've had to got back to college and do my NVQ's as a BSc in Chemistry is no use as either a sign maker or carpenter!
If in doubt ring NZIS they were very helpful to me when I called as I wanted to check this as I was told the opposite by an immigration consultant.....
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

We got our EOI accepted without a job offer. We both got points for having degrees.