Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

3 months pregnant and confused about fees

3 months pregnant and confused about fees

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

samboka1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 months pregnant and confused about fees

hello everyone

i really need some help with questions I have.
Me and my partner are due to fly out in 8 weeks toNZ on a skilled work visa, he has the visa and I am on the back of his.

Inbetween organising all this I have become pregnant, i have read on the website that you need to have a min $9000 in the bank to support medicl fees but this only covers a text book birth.

can anyone help me with my worries as now I am confused about fees and complications.

We can aford the basic $9000 but am worried if something happens or its a complciated birth, whatthe fees are and howit works with paying for them

I am not sure ifi should stay in the Uk have the baby and then go

if anyone can help me i would appreciate it

sam
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:34 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months pregnant and confused about fees

Do you know when your baby is due ? Could you stay in Britain until your due date and the baby's father (sorry to sound clinical) return to be at your side when your baby is born ?

You need familiar things around you and a health system you are familiar with, even if this is your first baby. By that I mean no experience of the scans/maternity wards/nursing/health visitor etc.

I don't have kids so the above is just a guess.

Not having NZ residence means you get emergency care i.e. ambulance and ACC. That's Accident Compensation Corporation so if you collect an injury you may be eligible for financial assistance from them. There is no personal injury laws in NZ, i.e. you can't sue anyone for personal injury.

Which brings you back to the cost of 9,000 dollars to have a baby and that's without complications.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

hello

my due date is 02-01/14,i am a new mum and i see what you mean.
we have been planning this for a long time and i suppose i had alreay left my job, the UK in my head. the thought of delay until maybe feb/mar really gets me down but if its the safest thing to do then we will stay

how do we go about getting medical care in NZ on a skilled work visa then, would we need to get insurance. Im asking this question if I wasnt pregnant and just needed standard care liek if i had an accdient

sam
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

How long is your partners work visa for? If its 2 years or more you're entitled to free maternity care.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:49 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and good luck for 2nd Jan 2014.

Google Southern Cross Health Care. That's a health insurance company here in NZ. There's other health insurance companies too. Most insurance companies offer a health/life insurance policy. NZ Insurers are among others: State Insurance, AMI Insurance, Sovereign Insurance.

Insurance of any sort is a, 'dirty word' in NZ as premiums are going up all over New Zealand because of the Christchurch earthquakes. It's just the insurance companies covering themselves whilst re-writing the insurance laws to suits themselves as usual.

There's no maternity pay obligation from the NZ government. You might not get any nz government benefits at all as household income has to be pretty low to qualify.

However, if you arrive in NZ as planned and your baby is born here, you won't have to put your new born on the visa application as you'll already be in NZ.

You are asking a lot of yourselves. Emigrating is hard work and emotionally draining. I assume being pregnant and having a baby is as well. Trying to do both (as well as moving out of your current house, house hunting in nz then moving into rented accommodation in NZ) won't do much for your blood pressure and stress levels.

Being pregnant in NZ whilst your other half is at work will be a lonely experience. Also when the baby is born and you don't really know anyone you will feel the distance from what was once home all the more keenly.

I apologise if I've made any snap judgements about you and your circumstances.

Lisa McT has answered the question about maternity care costs better than I could.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 22nd 2013 at 7:52 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:57 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

have you looked here

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...nancy-services

as lisamct says lots will depend on the visa you are coming over on.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

hi everyone

thanks for your feedback.

I just checked and he has a NZ 1015 work visa, I belive it lasts 30 months but not too sure on the time.

I understand that moving is stressful and we are lucky to have friends in NZ who are hosuing us until we settle.

I would like to go to the HC in London and maybe speak to someone about all the questions I have

sam
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hello everyone

so based on the fact we have a 2 year work visa the medical fees look paid.

wer can I get that confirmed

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...-years-or-more
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

As I said...
http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...nancy-services