British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   3.5 months start to finish zero to visa! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/3-5-months-start-finish-zero-visa-789437/)

M_and_M Mar 4th 2013 9:00 pm

3.5 months start to finish zero to visa!

I sent the initial application for jobs off on 6 Nov, interview and job offer less than two weeks later, was selected in the first round with 205 points, job starts April.

Full visa won't be processed in time so lodged a temp visa application 21 Feb, and I have the visa in my passport, in my hand 7 days later.

All in all 3:5 months start to finish. :ohmy::eek:

That includes a full NZQA assessment and teacher registrations as well as the usual police checks and full medical.

I never thought a timescale like that would be possible!

Full visa application to follow after we submit it following hubby's medical this week. :)

Sherlock Holmes Mar 4th 2013 10:27 pm

Re: 3.5 months start to finish zero to visa!

Congrats on all you news. :thumbup:

This might be useful for peeps to see in the visa forum so I've moved it.

Amber Aitken Mar 5th 2013 10:34 am

Congrats on your exciting news. May I ask, did you go through a visa agency and do it all yourself? Thanks.

M_and_M Mar 5th 2013 11:05 am

Did it ourselves. It was very easy! When I am settled etc I will sort out a blog detailing it all so I can help others to do it too

Amber Aitken Mar 5th 2013 11:15 am

Thanks M_and_M - appreciate your reply. Visa agency in question is offering to send letter with our job applications stating our serious intent, our points etc, which seems like a good idea to be me - so that potential employers know from the outset that we've got the points required etc. Seems like a good idea, but I'm learning as I go!! Feel quite nervy too. Am of the mindset that every little helps but of course visa agencies are not cheap. Mmm... But thank you and congrats again!

MrsFychan Mar 5th 2013 5:54 pm

Amber Aiken - employers are a little confused over here on the need for a job offer before visa so paying someone to send a letter detailing your points I feel is just money for old rope, especially as you can do that yourself.
Have you filled in a EOI? can you come over for interviews? what sort of work are you looking for? Have you done an advance search on here to see how others have gained employment in your field, did they have to come here or was an telephone/skype interview sufficient.?

MrsFychan Mar 5th 2013 5:56 pm

Can I just point out please that the 3.5 months is for a temp visa and not EOI through ITA process.

Also if you are over in New Zealand it is possible to be offered a job on one day and be working the next you just need to spend a little time at the Immigration Office waiting for them to do the temp work visa.

Amber Aitken Mar 5th 2013 7:30 pm

Thank you, MrsFychan. We had been advised to pursue a job offer first (before EOI pool). We're 100 points each before a job offer which would apparently give us another 60 points each (according to visa agency). I've clearly got a lot more reading to do. I suppose we're pursuing the 'job offer first' route as we have two children and so must play it safe. I am a writer / author (magazines and teen novels). Husband is in banking. I shall certainly do an advanced search regarding Skype vs one-on-one interviews. I shall also research the EOI pool more thoroughly. Thank you again.

M_and_M Mar 5th 2013 7:42 pm

The order I did it in was job applications, interviews (via conference call), EOI, job offer, (accepted and deferred start date) temp visa application.. Next is full visa application. Honestly, you can do it all yourself and save hundreds and hundreds of pounds.

Persephone Mar 5th 2013 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Amber Aitken (Post 10585686)
Thank you, MrsFychan. We had been advised to pursue a job offer first (before EOI pool). We're 100 points each before a job offer which would apparently give us another 60 points each (according to visa agency). I've clearly got a lot more reading to do. I suppose we're pursuing the 'job offer first' route as we have two children and so must play it safe. I am a writer / author (magazines and teen novels). Husband is in banking. I shall certainly do an advanced search regarding Skype vs one-on-one interviews. I shall also research the EOI pool more thoroughly. Thank you again.

You apply as a couple, assuming you've lived together for more than 12 months so having 100 points each is not relevant. It is points total per EOI and him, you and the children all go on the same EOI. I suspect your husband will be the principal candidate just from the above but it's always worth looking at how the points come out if you use the other partner as the principal. If you [as a couple] have 100 points without a job offer then you are unlikely to get selected from the pool and so will not progress further. An EOI stays in the pool for 6months if not selected, it is then withdrawn. With 100 points you would need a job offer to be selected.
Apologies if this is not what you meant:)

Persephone Mar 5th 2013 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10585725)
The order I did it in was job applications, interviews (via conference call), EOI, job offer, (accepted and deferred start date) temp visa application.. Next is full visa application. Honestly, you can do it all yourself and save hundreds and hundreds of pounds.

I agree, though from what some have quoted on here it is more like thousands of pounds:eek: A lot of money for filling in some forms!

However some people prefer to have someone else do the job and that's fine [as long as they're licensed!] but it's always worth mentioning that it is fairly easy to do as on the face of it the whole process can look quite daunting.

BEVS Mar 5th 2013 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10584521)
Did it ourselves. It was very easy! When I am settled etc I will sort out a blog detailing it all so I can help others to do it too

Good one. There is a blog facility here on BE which can also be linked to your profile .

BE karma your way for thinking to help others. Love it. :thumbup:

Amber Aitken Mar 5th 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks, M_and_M and Persephone, can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice. We're 100 points each, total 200, although I suspect we may still need to go 'job offer first' route. You've both given me the confidence to go it without visa agent. Big thank you.

BEVS Mar 5th 2013 8:12 pm

They are a bit good :)

I may split some of these posts out into a thread of their own , to better focus on your own possible application.

Quickly looking at your skill set, I would think that your OH might be the main applicant. That's without referring back to the NZIS website at the moment.

I'd like you to try the official NZIS points indicator ( click the link)& come back to us with the points .

As you will see, your points are a joint accumulation.

One step at a time & let's see what guidance & pointers we can give.

Persephone Mar 5th 2013 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Amber Aitken (Post 10585772)
Thanks, M_and_M and Persephone, can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice. We're 100 points each, total 200, although I suspect we may still need to go 'job offer first' route. You've both given me the confidence to go it without visa agent. Big thank you.

You don't add your points together and if your visa agent told you that then they are very wrong. One of you is the principal candidate and will accrue just about all of the points. The non principal candidate is the other partner [husband, wife or partner] and they can claim points for a qualification only.

The process is easy if you are methodical and know what needs to be done, have you looked at the NZIS website yet? http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ everything you need to know is in there and just ask on here if you aren't sure about anything. :)