184 days to keep visa....a few questions

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

spudzlikeus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 184 days to keep visa....a few questions

Hi everyone
I have been in NZ since 4th August 2006....came out on the resident visa. Well I'm going to be leaving at the end of Feb and just have a few questions regarding keeping the visa..forever!
Year One...I was here 365 days
Year Two...I will be here approx 190 days.. (well more than 184...but not done the exact calculations yet!)
So I will meet the requirements to keep the visa...just wondering how I go about getting an indefinate returning residents visa?and cost?

When I leave I will have the original returning residents visa...as the 2 years are not up until 4th August.
However I will not be coming back to NZ for at least a year.
So what should I do when I am flying out of NZ....apply for indefinate visa....or do I only apply when I am coming back in the future as the current one runs till 4th Aug....or do I need to come back and be in NZ by 4th Aug....and then leave again?

Sorry ....not a very well wriiten thread!
Any info appreciated
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:11 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 184 days to keep visa....a few questions

Originally Posted by spudzlikeus
So I will meet the requirements to keep the visa...just wondering how I go about getting an indefinate returning residents visa?and cost?
Hiya,

I renewed my RRV last month. This might be different depending on which NZIS office you go to but it was very straightforward for me. I went to the Auckland Central branch with my passport and the RRV form (printed out from NZIS website and filled out), arrived at about 1pm.

I reported to the main reception and was told to take a seat. I saw a visa officer about 30 minutes later, gave her my passport and form and paid $140 then got an Indefinite RRV. Then again I'd only been out of the country twice in the 2 years (once for 5 days and the other for just under a month) It all lasted an hour only, although I understand if offices get too busy you can also drop off the form in a box in the office and it's usually processed quite quickly. You can only renew your RRV once it has expired and not before.

I'd recommend renewing it while in NZ to avoid any problems if you want to come back at a later date.

Hope this helps,

Jen
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

So correct me if i'm wrong....but it sounds like my only option will be the following.....
Leave NZ in Feb/Mar as planned.... having the original returning visa in passport....valid till 4th Aug.
So cannot apply for another returning visa till on/after 4th Aug??
Therefore....will need to apply after 4th Aug.....from outisde NZ....is there then a time limit in which i need to retun to NZ again?

And just another thought....If i get the permanent visa for indefinate return....I will be considered tax resident in NZ (as you must be to get the visa right?)
Therefore I am liable to be taxed on money earned abroad....eventhough I will not be living in NZ for maybe another few years...or mabe never!! who knows what lies ahead!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

I see this thread has been moved....but moved to where?couldn't locate it under immigration section.
Also Dear Moderator..
I feel the people who are most likely to be able to answer this question are those who have already been through the whole visa process....and therefore most unlikely to be reading threads on the immigration section.I won't get the proper audience stuck in here!!!