British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   1 Year Works Visa, No medicals ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/1-year-works-visa-no-medicals-463058/)

Marika 38 Jul 2nd 2007 8:18 pm

1 Year Works Visa, No medicals ??

Hi All,
I was wondering, has anyone else gone to NZ on 1Year Works Visa. We have been told we need no Medicals for this, and that we can reapply for a continuation on the works Visa once we are there (as long as employement continues). If OH's employers are willing to sponser him, then we can apply for WTR Visa, which we will have to have medicals done for then.
Just thought the 1 Year Visa, would mean we only have to pay for 1 set of medicals.
What does anyone think?
Marika :confused:

happynz Jul 2nd 2007 8:38 pm

Re: 1 Year Works Visa, No medicals ??

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 5000219)
Hi All,
I was wondering, has anyone else gone to NZ on 1Year Works Visa. We have been told we need no Medicals for this, and that we can reapply for a continuation on the works Visa once we are there (as long as employement continues). If OH's employers are willing to sponser him, then we can apply for WTR Visa, which we will have to have medicals done for then.
Just thought the 1 Year Visa, would mean we only have to pay for 1 set of medicals.
What does anyone think?

That seems to be my experience. I came over on a one-year visa and was granted a work permit on arrival. The next year we extended the permits and we had to get meds and police clearances.

Spacecake799 Jul 2nd 2007 10:27 pm

Hi All,
What does anyone think?

Hi,
It will be for under 1 year, we questioned that but as we had already been here a couple of weeks when we applied we were told it would go over the year and we had to have medicals etc.

teambwr47 Jul 3rd 2007 12:08 pm

We leave the UK 19th July on one year work visa's.......

Wife has a job with a 'skills shortage' employer and we have the needed points for Residency but the quickest way for us to NZ was visa's then apply for residency later and its bit cheaper to go the work visa route.
She applied for a work visa and as a result of her job offer i was given a work for anyone doing anything visa, my 6 year old a student visa and our 2 year old a normal 12 month visa.

There is a risk that one of us could i guess fail the medical at a later stage but its a risk as four very healthy people we are willing to take.

We will be applying for residency pretty much when we arrive and as such we did get our police checks done before leaving.

kato33 Jul 3rd 2007 1:15 pm

Hi All,
What does anyone think?

Am I reading this correctly?

So if me and my lot are going over on a tourist visa then looking for and applying for work we do NOT have to have the meds till we get there?

simonmarkellis Jul 3rd 2007 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5003053)
Am I reading this correctly?

So if me and my lot are going over on a tourist visa then looking for and applying for work we do NOT have to have the meds till we get there?

That's right and there cheaper and done quicker, and it's what were doing.

kato33 Jul 3rd 2007 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5003572)
That's right and there cheaper and done quicker, and it's what were doing.

Yippeeeeeee

Is it really cheaper? We have been told its about £295 per adult and as there are 3 of us plus a 13 y/o and twins of 10 it seems bloody expensive.

simonmarkellis Jul 3rd 2007 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5003585)
Yippeeeeeee

Is it really cheaper? We have been told its about £295 per adult and as there are 3 of us plus a 13 y/o and twins of 10 it seems bloody expensive.

I'm told it is. Ask Spacecake799 she's been down this route. Also Bloopy and DonnaF in Wellington actually do the medicals so Bloopy tell's me so they'd be better informed than me.

Marika 38 Jul 3rd 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks for replies all,
we are like you Nisey, we all healthy, can't forsee a problem with Meds, so gonna take the risk.
Have Police checks done, but don't know if we will have to apply for more when the time comes to apply for P.R, through a WTR Visa, I am presuming yes, as the Police checks only last 6 months.
Cheers Marika

simonmarkellis Jul 3rd 2007 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 5003873)
Thanks for replies all,
we are like you Nisey, we all healthy, can't forsee a problem with Meds, so gonna take the risk.
Have Police checks done, but don't know if we will have to apply for more when the time comes to apply for P.R, through a WTR Visa, I am presuming yes, as the Police checks only last 6 months.
Cheers Marika

Best thing to do is when your police checks are six weeks away from expiring, apply for some more, then when they have expired the new one's will drop on the floor from the postie. Sorted...:thumbup: