Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Zoom Citizenship Ceremony - How Long to Set Aside?

Zoom Citizenship Ceremony - How Long to Set Aside?

Old Oct 23rd 2022, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Zoom Citizenship Ceremony - How Long to Set Aside?

Hi All,

I hope all are well.

May you kindly provide me with insights on the following please:

1. Indicatively, how long must one set aside for the Zoom virtual ceremony? I have heard conflicting times ranging from 1hr to 2hrs30mins.
2. Are there any circumstances whereby one may be able to virtually take the oath while not in Canada?

Many thanks!

Old Oct 23rd 2022, 7:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zoom Citizenship Ceremony - How Long to Set Aside?

Can’t help with no. 1, but for no. 2 you’re supposed to be in Canada to take the oath, even if via Zoom. So you just need to make sure you do as requested and contact them to explain why you need to take it outside Canada - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ml#online-test

HTH.

Old Oct 23rd 2022, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can’t help with no. 1, but for no. 2 you’re supposed to be in Canada to take the oath, even if via Zoom. So you just need to make sure you do as requested and contact them to explain why you need to take it outside Canada - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ml#online-test

HTH.
Thank you ever so much, extremely helpful.

Is there precedence for individuals being allowed to take the oath via Zoom outside of Canada? Would the circumstances have to be "extreme" for the authorities to consider/allow the request?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 23rd 2022, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Should probably allow 2-3 hours total for the ceremony, there's a lot of waiting around before and after the actual ceremony itself.

You do have to be granted permission to take the oath from outside Canada and you would need to have extenuating circumstances for this permission to be granted.
Old Oct 29th 2022, 12:32 am
Just Joined

bcwisher is an unknown quantity at this point

I had mine earlier this month and watched my son have his earlier this week - both of them were complete within an hour. We had about 80 "seats" in the zoom call both times but remember - families are usually together in 1 seat.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, bc2015 and bcwisher, for the information you kindly provided which was extremely helpful.